How are people playing their game??

xx_hodgiexx_hodgie REGISTERED Posts: 28 Seed
edited February 2015 in Gameplay
Hey guys I was thinking that even though Multiplayer is out I haven't played with anyone yet! So I was wondering how you guys play such as does anyone play like me and build Cave home with connecting tunnel system up in the mountains or do you deforest the land of all trees and build a Mansion? or whatever you guys do :D
11.jpg
12.jpg

Comments

• ZakeZake REGISTERED Posts: 216 Seed
    I usually build a hybrid wood and stone house, with an item storage area (small bins/pits) and a farm nearby. Currently working on a house on a foothill near a mountain with a bridge, I'll post a pic if it amounts to anything.
    I think more than I say and say more than I do, but I do more than I used to and plan to continue.
    TUG modder (at least in the ounce of free time that occasionally flits by)
  • xx_hodgiexx_hodgie REGISTERED Posts: 28 Seed
    Nice I basically go full dwarf and dig into mountain. I'll try to either get a vid or some pics of it onces it amounts to something
    11.jpg
    12.jpg
  • RiggyRiggy REGISTERED Posts: 23 Seed
    So far, my only major settlement was a small wooden fort on the edge of a marsh (I believe) and beside a mountain.
    23.jpg
    nice i wish i could build a fort but alas I'm pretty lazy haha, but one day i will build The Fort of Forts
    11.jpg
    12.jpg
  • Red AgliatorRed Agliator REGISTERED Posts: 307 Seed
    Like all of you, I start with the basic needs, though I seem to be solving them slightly differently:

#1, Safety: a torch to carry
    *No tool needed!

#2, Food: gather fruit, make a hoe. Then I plant seeds whenever I eat, wherever I am.
    *This makes a nice trail of food as I explore, and requires only my hands.

#3, Tools: Crude hammer, axe, and pick, and lots of pebbles
    *I use different tools depending on what I'm breaking, to reduce wear and tear.

As for my home base and what comes after: I consider my home base "complete" when I have a nearby ancient table, a bed, a farm to provide food and resources whenever I need them, and piles of all the basic crafting resources. I'm a collector personality, so of course I want at least one of every type of fruit plant! I don't make buildings: I like having straight travel lines between every work area. (None of this "circle until I find the door" business.)

After that, I usually intend to start bronze technology, but always get distracted by some type of experimentation or exploration. Sometimes I try to find every biome to look at what plants and terrain they have. Once, I decided to dig stairs to the top of a mountain--I learned tons about the underground layers, and got to see snow and frozen rock! Sometimes I use each tool on everything, to see which ones are damaged least/most by ground, rock, trees, and so on. Sometimes I try to figure out better ways to explore without getting lost (roads, markers, sun and moon, etc.)

Can you tell I have more of a naturalist/explorer personality than an architect personality? :D
    i see i see :D
    For me I believe I have a Defensive type of mind set I like to find the best mountain to make into a defensive self sustaining fort, but before all that i stock up on Wood-all plant food types-tool heads- LOTS OF VINES cause you always need some sort of cordage
    11.jpg
    12.jpg
  • RiggyRiggy REGISTERED Posts: 23 Seed
    xx_hodgie wrote:
    nice i wish i could build a fort but alas I'm pretty lazy haha, but one day i will build The Fort of Forts
    My fort isn't exactly extravagant or anything, just some wooden walls to keep the saber tooth cats out and able to fit a bed.
    23.jpg
  • steppinrazorsteppinrazor REGISTERED Posts: 7 Podling
    The coolest thing I've built (or almost built) was just a cozy cabin, but it was in the coolest place. It was just when I was first starting to mess with seeds, and I had been getting worlds with no hammer rocks or saplings in sight. Finally I got a world that had plenty of resources. I wandered around and found myself in what could only be described as a prehistory looking jungle biome. The best part was the way the terrain formed. The tunnels were giant and open making the cliffs at the top have overhangs and many had skinny rock plateaus that look like some of the rock formations in Utah and Arizona but instead of desert it was rain forest. The fly-trap and palm trees where everywhere. The way the cliffs rose up looked like the desert biome's mountains. Sharp cliff faces that built up in layers with flat pathways you had to navigate to find your way up to the top. I found myself a nice ledge on the highest level that rounded of over a tunnel space and dropped straight down. I collected piles like Red Agliator made a farm to the side and planted lots of large torches (this was before I built a bed, which since palm leaves came from everything was a simple task) and placed them all over. I started to build a cabin and got to working on a roof before I got bored (or something) and deleted the file (which was stupid of me). Had started on a storehouse and everything! :cry:

I have a routine like Red Agliator:

1) I go straight for a torch! - I always end up spawning and having night fall on me fast, and the large ones are a great way to keep from getting lost!

2) I get an axe, a spear, and a knife.

3) I wander around and look for a good place to build. - I tend to have started going Dwarf Fortress too. I don't really know why but I feel safer huddling in a hole with a torch during the night then huddling around a torch in the middle of the forest. I guess it's something like I feel safer when I only have one place that I can be attacked from.

I have only seen the big cats at the beginning of the game when I tend to spawn right next to them and either freak out and run for my life until a goat walks by and grabs their attention or I just exit to the menu delete the world and make a new one...

The thing I fear most though is the freaky little gnomes. God they creep me out! They're the reason I don't like night time in the game. Scare me to death. If I settle down and start hearing their annoying voices I immediately go on the hunt! Death to the gnomes! (I know that's not what they really are but I can't recall their name.

When I start a new game I have to go through a lot to get the right one. Since I started indev I tend to be getting a lot of the same biomes, and they all tend to be generic woods. Any ideas on how to work the world seed?

-steppinrazor
  • Red AgliatorRed Agliator REGISTERED Posts: 307 Seed
    Any ideas on how to work the world seed?
    As far as I know, you create worlds with different seeds until you find ones you like. Or, if you're in a world you like, press F2 until you see "WorldSeed" in the overlay and write down the long number.

The seed I've liked best so far is cerumen--see whether you like it, too. I'm hoping people will post their favorites here.
  • steppinrazorsteppinrazor REGISTERED Posts: 7 Podling
    Okay, I'll give cerumen a try!

I always thought world seed was based on numbers? So far I've been doing the whole runabout with trying to find the right world. Since I switched to indev though I keep getting the same forest biome with the mushrooms and occasional bamboo. Sometimes I see desert in the distance and sometimes I can find the haunted biome (which I stay away from) but not much else. I remember before I switched that there where preset biomes that you could set as a baseline such as Tree's O'Plenty a general desert, plains, and a snowy mountain one that never had enough trees.

I liked the whole baseline world thing more then just rollin' the dice and hoping for a good world. I just wondered if there was a system like 1000s is desert, 2000s is forest, etc.

I guess I'll figure it out.

-steppinrazor
  • jon14ukjon14uk REGISTERED Posts: 782 Seed
    I like playing with other people because if they work on building a cave system you can just use all there trash rock to build a castle :lol: ender is a slave doesn't even know it.
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    The Military General for xandertopia :D .
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
    haha now thats a man with a plan!!! indirect slave owner haha
    11.jpg
    12.jpg
  • ZadiraZadira REGISTERED Posts: 11 Seed
    I just started playing a few days ago. I watched a few videos and then just jumped right in. I got killed by a cat right off the bat so that just scared me into trying to find a safe place to live. I decided I need to be up high so I found a big mountain and made some little steps up and made a little alcove. I was so scared at first and this big cat kept coming up near my mountain. I finally read somewhere that torches are good for scaring off the cats so I learned how to make them and I made tons of the little torches and stuck them everywhere I could. :D
    After I finally grew confident enough, I started venturing out and now I have a nice big home up in that mountain, a huge workshop and storage area and a wonderful garden with cherry, apple and orange trees, pumpkins, melons and gourds.
    I can't even tell you how much fun I am having in this game. Now I just need to get brave enough to try and get the ingredients to build all my work stations. I am not one to really enjoy killing animals so I am having a bit of trouble getting up my nerve for that part of the game. Hopefully I will figure something out. :D