Spear Heads missing?

nickwestnickwest Posts: 8
edited February 2015 in Gameplay
I've successfully broken several Large Boulders and haven't seen a spear head drop. I've also of course tried breaking large rocks, and honestly any other type of rock I can find, but spear heads seem to be MIA.

Large Boulders are dropping axe, hammer, pick, and blade stones + pebbles and cobble.
Large Rocks are dropping axe, hammer and pick + pebbles and cobble.

Am I missing something or are spear head drops broken right now?

The world is new as of the latest update (Alpha v0.8.2) and is multi-player.

Comments

• Red AgliatorRed Agliator Posts: 307 Seed
    nickwest wrote:
    I've successfully broken several Large Boulders and haven't seen a spear head drop. I've also of course tried breaking large stones, and honestly any other stone I can find, but spear heads seem to be MIA.

Large Boulders are dropping axe, hammer, pick, and blade stones + pebbles and cobble.
    Large Stones are dropping axe, hammer and pick + pebbles and cobble.

I'm seeing the same thing in single-player--quite a change!

AFAIK, any recipe that works with the spear head also works with the pick rock, so everything should still be craftable. (Bamboo Spear, Crude Knife, Crude Pick, Wood Spear all work with pick rocks. Are there any other recipes I missed?)
  • nickwest wrote:
    I've successfully broken several Large Boulders and haven't seen a spear head drop. I've also of course tried breaking large stones, and honestly any other stone I can find, but spear heads seem to be MIA.

Large Stones are dropping axe, hammer and pick + pebbles and cobble.

I'm seeing the same thing--quite a change!

AFAIK, any recipe that works with the spear head also works with the pick rock, so everything should still be craftable. (Bamboo Spear, Crude Knife, Crude Pick, Wood Spear all work with pick rocks, at least. Are there any other recipes I missed?)
    Ah, good to know. I didn't realize the pick rock can be a substitute for the spear head.

Also, /spawn "Flint Rock" will work, so the model for the spear head isn't what's broken (thought it might just be invisible), must just be a goof in the boulder drop, or they're doing away with the spear head and we'll just use pick rocks for those items?
  • Red AgliatorRed Agliator Posts: 307 Seed
    nickwest wrote:
    Ah, good to know. I didn't realize the pick rock can be a substitute for the spear head.

Also, /spawn "Flint Rock" will work, so the model for the spear head isn't what's broken (thought it might just be invisible), must just be a goof in the boulder drop, or they're doing away with the spear head and we'll just use pick rocks for those items?
    If you poke at the spoilery game file with crafting recipes, the recipes are still there, too (along with a newish one).

My personal guess is that they decided there's no need for the spear head at the moment, and that it's more helpful if boulders drop the other tool rocks. But who knows? (Well, the devs do, but you know what I mean.)
  • NekochuNekochu Posts: 244 Developer
    There was an overlap in recipes for the pick rock functioning as both the head for the pick and the spear. So in order to reduce the number of items throughout the game that take up inventory room and are an overlap in recipe use, the pick rock now serves as the resource for the pick, spear and crude knife head.
    Twitter: @X_Nekochu_X
    Tumblr: xnekochux
  • Nekochu wrote:
    There was an overlap in recipes for the pick rock functioning as both the head for the pick and the spear. So in order to reduce the number of items throughout the game that take up inventory room and are an overlap in recipe use, the pick rock now serves as the resource for the pick, spear and crude knife head.
    Awesome, thanks for verifying, that makes perfect sense to me! Until Red Agliator mentioned that the pick rock can be used I was at a loss, but knowing that, it makes perfect sense and I think it's a good change.