Billboard effects

ZakeZake Posts: 216 Seed
edited February 2015 in Gameplay
I think I remember some grumblings about how the grass billboards made it hard to see anything. I found a setting to turn them off today, and, well, the landscape looks kinda dead.
646AB12A3B530E47547BC0729290FF0A2BED754E

I think I'll stick to lurking in the shrubbery.
I think more than I say and say more than I do, but I do more than I used to and plan to continue.
TUG modder (at least in the ounce of free time that occasionally flits by)

Comments

• NekochuNekochu Posts: 244 Developer
    Our next update offers a slider for the billboards, so you don't have to have an all or nothing on them. Plus we are working on the art style for them as well so that we can use fewer amounts without having to sacrifice the fullness that they offer.
    Twitter: @X_Nekochu_X
    Tumblr: xnekochux
  • Nekochu wrote:
    Our next update offers a slider for the billboards, so you don't have to have an all or nothing on them. Plus we are working on the art style for them as well so that we can use fewer amounts without having to sacrifice the fullness that they offer.
    Is there, or will there be a way to cut the grasses down in game? I know right now manipulating the ground below the grass will remove it, but I think it'd be awesome if the sword could slice down the tall grasses, or maybe a sickle tool that would make quicker work of it.

If this isn't coming, it sounds like a good mod opportunity, who wouldn't want to mow their virtual lawn?
  • SimbaSimba Posts: 74 Developer
    nickwest wrote:
    who wouldn't want to mow their virtual lawn?
    kkeQuJL.jpg
  • Red AgliatorRed Agliator Posts: 307 Seed
    Nekochu wrote:
    Hurray! (I think the slider slipped into 0.8.2, though. And I'm really loving it!)
  • ZakeZake Posts: 216 Seed
    I didn't mean to imply that it was a toggle. Just after hearing so many complaints about the billboards, once I found the slider, I moved it to 0 to see what would happen. It's currently sitting at about half. But yeah, the slider has worked fully since 0.8 first came.

My reason for turning it down is actually just because I couldn't really see things through it, which is partially the point. Though the fact that they can't be removed like other plants and materials does make it inconvenient. If it's feasible in the code I wouldn't mind being able to do some weeding without digging a hole.
    I think more than I say and say more than I do, but I do more than I used to and plan to continue.
  • Awesome Simpson's reference! I'm completely serious about actually wanting to be able to mow my lawn in TUG though. My little house has an unruly field of grasses in front of it and the grass has started to overgrow in my apple grove making it tough to find recently dropped fruit.

I might find the time to play with this concept in a mod this week/weekend. Haven't started playing with mods in TUG yet, but looking through the mod forum and the API documentation I'd say now is a good time to start. I figure I'll just start with sword to cut the grass one by one, then maybe look into adding a sickle that could do wider area at once, then maybe one of those solar powered lawn mowing robots later... or maybe goats should eat down tall grasses and available food would impact goat migration... :shock:
  • ZakeZake Posts: 216 Seed
    What has stopped me every time I think about it is that I'm pretty sure the game shows billboards everywhere there's a grass block. Though now that I think about it, perhaps you could make a new block, that doesn't have billboards attached, but has the same textures. Then make a grass cutting tool that replaces the tall grass block with the mowed grass block.

I might do this myself if you don't, it would be fun practice.
  • Zake wrote:
    What has stopped me every time I think about it is that I'm pretty sure the game shows billboards everywhere there's a grass block. Though now that I think about it, perhaps you could make a new block, that doesn't have billboards attached, but has the same textures. Then make a grass cutting tool that replaces the tall grass block with the mowed grass block.

I might do this myself if you don't, it would be fun practice.
    I haven't dug deeply at all into the API yet, nor have I played with modding TUG yet, so this may be naive, but having a variable to toggle billboards for a given block could be possible. Of course it depends on ton on what's exposed and what's not, and how exactly the billboards work and if that itself can be modded or not.

From playing, it seems like the grass grows though? am I wrong in that and it was just my mind laying tricks on me? I swear the area by my home has slowly become overgrown. In that case, there has to be some variable already in place to say what height the grass billboards should be on a block. I'm hoping this is the case because then it'd be as "easy" as making the interaction decrease that grass height variable (again probably completely naive).
  • NekochuNekochu Posts: 244 Developer
    Actually one of our designers is working on a mod to the tools to allow you to trim down the grass, but it regrows when you reload the world right now. Too realistic.
    Twitter: @X_Nekochu_X
    Tumblr: xnekochux