If you host it, they will come. :p

StilleVandeStilleVande REGISTERED Posts: 81 Seed
edited April 2015 in Servers
I'm not currently hosting anything, so I'm going to host a TUG server when the binary is available. If we are building everything from scratch, then I'm going to try to help the Dev team as much as possible on the dedicated side of things.

Server specs:
Dual Xeon 5650 Proc server - 12 cores, 2.67Ghz w/ Hyper threading = 24 cores
72G DDR3 ECC Registered RAM
4x 32G Intel Extreme SSD set RAID 0 (Gameserver Drive)
1x 2T 7200 SATA Drive (Storage)

Is there a preference on server OS?

What operating systems are supported?

Any eccentricities I should know of?

*is holding breath for binary* I'll probably have the box ready by next Sunday. :ugeek:
Seriously, it's Faroese for Calm Water. - StilleVande
regular-banner-3.png
regular-banner-1.png
regular-banner-3.png
regular-banner-2.png

Comments

• SigilSigil REGISTERED Posts: 678 Developer
    Good to see servers popping up again. Unfortunately right now there is no way to host while you're not online and there is a recommended limit of 5 players (for good reason, though you can change this in the user_config.txt).

What I'd recommend for you is to set up times of day to have the server up and tweet and @NerdKingdom about what you're doing. From there you'll likely pick up a few devs and community members who will retweet you within a few minutes of you posting about your server being up.

Good luck!
  • ZakeZake REGISTERED Posts: 216 Seed
    I'm curious how many people would jump in on such a server. Also wondering how a large player count would work (>5 players) on a machine that is not limited by hardware specs, that might provide some useful info for the devs.

A tip, larger allowed view distance greatly increases the load on your machine. May or may not present an issue on that massive server machine you have. I ran TUG with a friend on a laptop with i7 processor, 8GB RAM, and 2GB video card and had to turn down the view distance for all clients to 6 instead of the default 8.

Currently only Windows is supported.
    I think more than I say and say more than I do, but I do more than I used to and plan to continue.
    TUG modder (at least in the ounce of free time that occasionally flits by)
  • StilleVandeStilleVande REGISTERED Posts: 81 Seed
    *nods* Indeed.

Most likely, a server like mine will reach the upper limits on what most servers will be ran on.

Looking around on dedicated server sites, I've found my buildout usually runs around $500-1000 a month for a company to host it. Fortunately, I own all the hardware, so it costs me nothing. :)
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-1.png
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-2.png
  • StilleVandeStilleVande REGISTERED Posts: 81 Seed
    I hear that the dedicated binary is almost ready. I've already built out the server, and I'm eagerly awaiting release!

regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-1.png
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-2.png
  • ZakeZake REGISTERED Posts: 216 Seed
    Holy wow those specs. Yeah this server will hopefully run much more smoothly than the one I hosted on my laptop. Looking forward to it!
    I think more than I say and say more than I do, but I do more than I used to and plan to continue.
    TUG modder (at least in the ounce of free time that occasionally flits by)
  • TeknonickTeknonick REGISTERED Posts: 166 Seed
    Awesome can't wait! I have three friend's that'll join me whenever I pop on, so count four players in on this sweet deal! :D!
    The mix between the Adventurer and the Trapper yields the Tracker. Living in humble homes to help those in need. Always looking for the right coin, yet never theft is in their eyes.
    21.jpg
    20.jpg
  • LakkpoppLakkpopp REGISTERED Posts: 15 Seed
    edited May 2015
    Me make big goat farm!