TUG Wiki

JoeJoe Posts: 264 Seed
edited April 2015 in Banter/General
The TUG Wiki community needs YOU!
Come, join, contribute!
Click -->HERE <-- to go to the site and see what the fuss is about.

Seriously though, the TUG Wiki needs some dedicated people to come spread the love, and contribute. Very readily accepting one and all. :mrgreen:

Here is a link to the page where you can see what needs doing!

Comments

• PamcakesPamcakes Posts: 738 Seed
    I wouldn't even know what to do Q_Q
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
  • LeifLeif Posts: 361 Seed
    I think I'm already registered :)

But I don't think I have much to add at this point.
    otViQlH.png
  • JoeJoe Posts: 264 Seed
    There is actually quite a bit.
    Firstly there are lots of pages on the front page that need linking to, and though a lot of the pages can't be made yet because of lack of information, a few can still be made. Also, the pages that are already there need some tweaking, especially on the side of modding, as I haven't gotten into modding yet and therefore have no idea how it works.

Thanks anyway guys. :mrgreen:
    Also, THIS
  • Youngy798Youngy798 Posts: 905 Seed
    If I am not mistaken, the Cobbled stone texture file is wrong.
    Hello there! I am Youngy future owner of Plainhold (hopefully), go read the topic about Plainhold, and the Lemurian Empire, maybe also some of my other posts, like my mining suggestions! :)

Bye!
    Youngy798 wrote:
    If I am not mistaken, the Cobbled stone texture file is wrong.
    Yeah, quite a few of the texture files haven't been updated. Something you could do! ;)
    I would do it if I had access to all the texture files, I don't have the game yet, so I can't :/ Otherwise I would be more than happy to.
    Hello there! I am Youngy future owner of Plainhold (hopefully), go read the topic about Plainhold, and the Lemurian Empire, maybe also some of my other posts, like my mining suggestions! :)

Bye!
    Youngy798 wrote:
    I would do it if I had access to all the texture files, I don't have the game yet, so I can't :/ Otherwise I would be more than happy to.
    Ohhhh, that makes sense. I may do it if I can get away from my studies long enough. Only have enough time to spend like 20 mins on this forum every now and then. :P
    Ok, studies obviously come before updating some pictures :)

Bye!
  • TestamentofTestamentof Posts: 1,234 Seed
    Is someone updating the Tug Runes page? That's probably going to be a very important page for beginners who can't make heads or tails of it!
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
    I added a small bit of information to the crafting page and also added the video into it.

Bye!
  • TyrxTyrx Posts: 9 Podling
    I've returned from inactivity (yet again :lol:) so over the coming weeks I'll be able to dedicate some time to getting the wiki updated and fixing issues with the wiki that I kept pushing back.
    Interested in sharing your knowledge of TUG? Share your wisdom and help young seedlings understand the world of TUG by contributing to the TUG Wiki!
  • Ashen44Ashen44 Posts: 207 Seed
    OK, I'm here for a suggestion to the wiki, not to directly contribute to it, but I feel that having a central hub for all TUG information just isnt right for a game like TUG. I'm okay with a wiki, so long as you dont put up all the recipes and things players should figure out in-game. other than that great job! I put this up because I felt that TUG was about discovery and wikis kind of ruin discovery, and replace it with complete knowledge, which takes away that feeling of discovery.
    The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The optimist sees it half full. The engineer sees the glass as twice as big as it needs to be.
    Ashen44, this has actually been a point of contention elsewhere and as I point out, the simplest and best way to enjoy the discovery aspect of the game is to simply NOT LOOK at the wiki.

Now, in the official servers things are going to be different, as things are discovered word of mouth will spread of the discovery/ people will bring their knowledge in from single player and skill and teamwork will be what define survival/ how the game progress on those servers.

It's also entirely possible that a hidden skill system will be implemented to make it much more difficult to tech up from sticks and stones to hardened steel and crystal swords in one go.
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
  • Ashen44Ashen44 Posts: 207 Seed
    Yes, and I have participated in some of the other conversations, but, as others have pointed out also, others would look at the wiki and become extremely knowledgeable without any effort at all, which kind of takes away the point of TUG.
    The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The optimist sees it half full. The engineer sees the glass as twice as big as it needs to be.
    I've thought of a better reason for why you shouldn't care about there being a Wiki.

If the wiki is updated at the same rate that the player base learns things, so if someone learns something and it gets shared to all the player base, and THEN the wiki gets updated with that knowledge, then all that happens when a new player comes along and looks at the wiki is that they're catching up with the majority of the player base. This is actually a good thing, because it means they're that much faster up to speed with the player base. And if there's that experience requisite system then their knowledge just means they are in for a grind instead of enjoying discovering everything.

Perhaps the information that went onto the wiki could be time locked to a week or two?

Yes they may be missing out on the fun of discovering everything for themselves, but if they're looking at the wiki for aid or because it's there then they're not the kind of person to CARE about discovering everything for themselves. If you meet someone like that, Don't play with them.

Personally, to me, the Wiki is like an off site library for all of our shared knowledge, I see no reason why we shouldn't have one, and sometimes it's also a really good place to go if you're trying to find out about how the game plays.

I also have to ask, does this mean that you don't want the devs to give us patchnotes and the like?
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
    I think it ruins the fun of finding an item, for example- Your town goes on a quest to look for rare treasure, you find a glowing stone in a cave, one of the players in the group has read the entire wiki and instantly tells you what it does.. now you can't go through the fun of working out how it works.
    Players who decide not to use the wiki will be using more resources and time trying to test and learn about an item whilst the wiki readers will be able to quickly progress through the ranks.

Bye!
    Youngy798 wrote:
    I think it ruins the fun of finding an item, for example- Your town goes on a quest to look for rare treasure, you find a glowing stone in a cave, one of the players in the group has read the entire wiki and instantly tells you what it does..

If this player is known to have/does read the wiki, and is invited along by the town, then the rest of the town either knew he would know and asked him for his knowledge, or it is a town that is ok with people using the wiki. It can always be stated on the town community board or the town entrance that Wiki readers are to keep their ill-gained knowledge to themselves.
    Youngy798 wrote:
    Players who decide not to use the wiki will be using more resources and time trying to test and learn about an item whilst the wiki readers will be able to quickly progress through the ranks.

If you're playing online and are part of an organization, that group is going to want everyone to be efficient with their materials and so each member would have been instructed in the best way to make said item. In this instance it is possible to rise in the ranks like that, but at some point in multiplayer, everyone is going to be told/taught the best way to do things like that and the edge people might gain from reading the wiki would be negated.

I think the only time reading the Wiki would really be a problem would be when a new server starts up and the veterans, the wiki readers and the new players both joined at once, but at that point, the veterans are going to be the fastest teching up because they've had lots of experience.
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
  • TyrxTyrx Posts: 9 Podling
    If you're encountering issues logging into the wiki due to a prompt saying your browser doesn't support cookies, please try clearing your cookies for the tugwiki.com domain. I migrated hosts a few days ago, and the old cookies that were previously assigned will conflict with the new ones. Here's a quick guide on how to do it if you're unsure. If you try logging into your wiki account with the old cookies, the system will assume that you're trying to hijack an account and will automatically reject the login.

I apologize for any inconvenience that may have caused.
    Interested in sharing your knowledge of TUG? Share your wisdom and help young seedlings understand the world of TUG by contributing to the TUG Wiki!
  • I have just been on the wiki myself, and personally, I would like to thank the person who put up the previous recipes. However, would it be possible to bring the wiki up to date?
    Knowledge is power, Guard it well - Blood Ravens battle cry

"Re-evolution: Sound like a blast"
    "Me: It will be"
    13.jpg
  • Red AgliatorRed Agliator Posts: 307 Seed
    As far as I know, the wiki has all the recipes from v0.6.4 (except for transmutation). I'm sure the new recipes from v0.6.5 will get added as people learn them. (The speed will depend on the number of active editors, of course.)

In case you don't know, the crafting recipes are in a text file called "Core_crafting.txt" in the TUG GameCoreDataCrafting folder. (For steam, TUG is usually at C:Program Files (x86)SteamSteamAppscommonTUG)

That's assuming you like to poke around in the guts of the game, of course. *ew*
  • I did not know that, thank you.
    Knowledge is power, Guard it well - Blood Ravens battle cry

"Re-evolution: Sound like a blast"
    "Me: It will be"
    13.jpg
    Also, I think the v0.6.5 video included the new recipes, or at least clues to the new recipes. (I can't be 100% sure, though, because I fast-forwarded through that section so I could do some experimenting first.)

The update video, cued up to the recipes: http://youtu.be/ImNac0IKmAo?t=2m4s
    And speaking of updating the wiki: a key commands page is potentially the most useful page for everyone, but it's currently the most out of date. If anyone likes formatting or making things look good, there's a list of needed changes on its discussions page.
    If you use the TUG wiki, be aware that its information won't be completely up to date for v0.8.1 for quite a while. It was reasonably accurate for v0.6.5, but all the wonderful changes in TUG will take a while to get into the wiki. (It's a bit understaffed at the moment.)

Things that are likely to be there, and close to accurate:
    - Details about the technology ladder
    - Non-alchemy recipes
    - Lists of what natural resources come from what
    - Which tools break what

Things that are definitely inaccurate:
    - Multiplayer information
    - The list of mouse/keyboard controls (especially for Creative mode!)
    - Missing pages for the new crystals, and missing recipes using the crystals
    - Any other giant changes in v0.8.1

Things not to stake your life on:
    - Which biomes contain which plants/animals/terrain
    - Details on cabbage traps, bearrams, cat cubs, and other new objects
    Updated: the How to help the TUG wiki page.

The TUG wiki is struggling along with only a few editors, and parts of it are very out of date. If you want to support the wiki, come add what you know about TUG, whether short tips, basic feature information, screenshots, or pages for missing objects. (Or anything else you think it needs!) While I'm not actually "running" the wiki, I'll do my best to answer questions and help people get started.
    Version 0.8.3 and the wiki

With all the wonderful changes in v0.8.3, it'll take a while for the TUG wiki to catch up! How long? That depends on how many people join in the editing.

There are lots of ways to contribute, both big and small. If you have an idea you think needs to be done, be bold and jump in. If you want to help, but don't know how, check out Contributing to the TUG wiki. You don't need to create an account to edit pages. And if you run into trouble, I'll do my best to help out.

How can you help?
    - Correct a mistake when you find it
    - Add a tip to help others avoid a pitfall
    - Flesh out part of a skeleton article
    - Add a new recipe you just discovered
    - Add a page for a new trap or new piece of clothing or furniture
    - Upload a missing image
    Version 0.8.4 and the wiki

Hurray for all the v0.8.4 features!

As of this writing, very basic instructions for using shields and spell weapons and taming and breeding pets have been added to the TUG wiki. Full details haven't been fleshed out, and the new items don't have pages and recipes yet.

How long until the TUG wiki gets the rest of the information about 0.8.4? That depends on you, the players. There may be a lot to update, but little bits of change add up with a community this size.

If you find wrong information, especially on the new pages, correct it! When you learn something about pets that isn't up there yet, add it! When you figure out the new recipes, share them with other TUG fans. If you have screenshots, chances are good that they contain something that doesn't yet have a wiki image. Crop the image and upload it!

If you run across a red link for a missing page, be bold and start it! You can create it with just the information you know (letting other players add more later), or you can follow the boilerplate forms to completely research the new item.

You don't need to create an account to do most things, but it's a great way to track your wiki awesomeness!

I'm around and can help, whether it's answering questions on how to do things, helping when you get stuck, or being a second editor for new stuff. Contact me on my wiki discussion page, or send me a forum PM.
  • WalletGod21WalletGod21 Posts: 42 Seed
    edited July 2015
    so umm are we gonna start working on the Mods Database and the Logic Engineering?
    6.jpg