Crafting outgame ? Give me SMS instead.

TcheyTchey Posts: 17 Seed
edited January 2015 in Gameplay
Hello people,

In many games, including TUG, it's almost a must have to stop playing, visit internet, find a wiki, check the crafting receipes, and only then, go back ingame to actually craft something.

Sure, i can try ingame, but i have absolutly no clue how to do it at first. Put some stuff together on the ground, fine, but many stuff are too exact to be found, or spend a lot of (boring ?) time to find out it was 4 vines, 2 hard woods, 4 pebbles, 2 long sticks... and not 4 vines, 4 hard woods, 2 pebbles, 2 long sticks...

The Seed should have a book, not with words but with drawings, showing the first few receipes (crude hammer, small torch...). Then TUG has some strange magical stones (SMS) all around the landscape ? Why not giving these stones the power to complete the crafting book ? Everytime i use a SMS, the game checks my known receipes, and gives me a new one randomly.

It would be a nice way to give exploration a meaning (finding more SMS to complete the book), it would keep the player ingame instead of looking for an up-to-date wiki outgame.

The first drawings could be simple, and uncomplete : once i understand how to craft a pickaxe, i can gues how to craft hammer, or wood axe. Same with shovel or spear. At first, give only one of them, and let the SMS complete the book later when i find them.

With a book and SMS, i can stay ingame. If i don't want to be spoiled i can still find the right craft by myself. If i don't want to guess, i can explore and find SMS to teach me the receipe. If i still want to go outgame, i can still read a wiki.

More choices, more happy players.

Comments

• TestamentofTestamentof Posts: 1,234 Seed
    A very clever solution to the Wiki problem, although I'm not sure a straight up paper and leather book would be the best straight off, but rather something to work towards making?

Or rather the "book" had different iterations that depicted which technological stage you were at, like leaves for the crude age, and stone tablets (or similar) for the Bronze age, and so on and so forth.

I do think this is a fantastic idea!
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
  • Red AgliatorRed Agliator Posts: 307 Seed
    Here's a related idea in another post. The author was imagining how one could add writing, books, and more through the modding system. Sounds like an interesting synergy of thoughts.
  • ZakeZake Posts: 216 Seed
    I could totally get behind this. This is a fantastic solution, Tchey.
    I think more than I say and say more than I do, but I do more than I used to and plan to continue.
    TUG modder (at least in the ounce of free time that occasionally flits by)
  • TcheyTchey Posts: 17 Seed
    One alternative could be to have drawings on the stones themselves, but then it would be much harder to get new receipes, and avoid too many repeats.
  • ElfElf Posts: 72 Seed
    This is a wonderful idea, and it would help a great deal with making the game more immersive. One of the big problems with complex MMORPGs is that players can't keep track of all the info in their heads, and unlike the real world, there's no note-taking ability in-game (for most of them). So we have wikis, and almost everyone plays with the game open in one window and the wiki in another.

It'd be wonderful if seedlings started with a small book (scroll, perhaps?), next to their inventory, that lists all the recipes they know--everything they've crafted so far--and occasionally gained new recipes by exploring or other activities.

Pick up your first hammer rock: the recipe for a crude hammer pops into your book. Pick up a leaf, and the recipe for a bed shows up. Pick up a vine, and the fence gets added. Pick up a handle when you have 2 hammer rocks in your inventory, and the recipe for a small torch shows up--and now you've got enough basic knowledge to survive; other recipes can either require more difficult actions, or some may never show up automatically.
  • reedooreedoo Posts: 151 Seed
    I remember there being talk in the Kickstarter videos about the cave systems. At the moment I have not seen one cave system in my play through - other than some 'cavern' or 'cut throughs' in the red rock and spooky biomes. But not any legitimate feeling cave systems.

It would be really awesome to stumble across art/lore/recipes in caves through paintings. I know while I am currently playing TUG I feel the world is really 'barren' at the moment. I know there are lots of plans for lore and history etc. which I can't wait to see unfold in the game. But I can see recipe making playing into this.
  • xx_hodgiexx_hodgie Posts: 28 Seed
    Reedoo they are real trust me.....got lost and died of hunger

wish i wouldve of screenshotted it now
    11.jpg
    12.jpg
  • reedooreedoo Posts: 151 Seed
    xx_hodgie wrote:
    Reedoo they are real trust me.....got lost and died of hunger

Oh man! Was this in the new InDev version? I seriously have not found any cave systems! Where did you end up finding it?
  • ZakeZake Posts: 216 Seed
    There are caves in 0.6.5 and before, but I haven't seen them in the world I created on the 10/23 indev build.
    I think more than I say and say more than I do, but I do more than I used to and plan to continue.
    TUG modder (at least in the ounce of free time that occasionally flits by)
  • This is an amazing idea, and really reminds me of my first voxel based game. The game was called Total Miner, and the only way to craft items was to find the recipe in the world, so if you started a new world you would need to find the recipes again. As for the recipes themselves, they would appear anywhere within the world as a small glowing scroll. To find these scrolls you would follow an arrow that would point towards the closest scroll and would spin faster the closer you got to it. The world was limited, but extended far down into the earth, so these arrows would lead you to digging deep one by one holes in the ground to find the diamond pickaxe scroll.

I would love to see a similar design implemented into TUG. The SMS idea is great, and I would love to see biome specific stones for certain recipes (desert stones for cactus on a stick, plains stones for farming equipment, cave stones for furnaces). Perhaps even implementing this idea with randomly generated structures? I love the idea and I hope something like this is used in the future!
  • PLGPLG Posts: 1
    Sorry, but I have the same problem with many of these games. Similar to the original post. I played TUG for the first time for 2 hours. I was intrigued. Really nice atmosphere; found lots of cool ingredients; didn't figure out how to eat until I died once of hunger; AND NOT A SINGLE THING CRAFTED.

There was a game on iPhone/iPad where in order to find new combinations, you had to combo up ingredients. In the beginning it was easy, because the number of combinations was low, but after a while it was just the tedious work of trying all combinations. Minecraft (and I'm sorry TUG at this state too) is just as bad.

So, here's the thing. In real life when you make something you get feedback from the crafting process that you are getting somewhere. I can tie a string to one end of a stick. I have successfully assembled something, even though I haven't crafted anything. If I bend the stick and tie the other end of the string to the other end of the stick, I get a bow: now I have crafted something.

In TUG, can't you let certain ingredients fit together? I know it might be hard to produce graphics for all partially constructed items, but something to show that you are in the right direction and that perhaps an ingredient is missing. It would also neat if you could find some way to indicate that a particular partial solution still has an undiscovered crafting result: The player might have discovered that (A+B)+C= bow, but should be encourage to try and find another ingredient which fits with (A+B), such that (A+B)+D= staff.

[exit too long explanation]
  • TestamentofTestamentof Posts: 1,234 Seed
    PLG wrote:
    In TUG, can't you let certain ingredients fit together? I know it might be hard to produce graphics for all partially constructed items, but something to show that you are in the right direction and that perhaps an ingredient is missing. It would also neat if you could find some way to indicate that a particular partial solution still has an undiscovered crafting result: The player might have discovered that (A+B)+C= bow, but should be encourage to try and find another ingredient which fits with (A+B), such that (A+B)+D= staff.

I like this idea, even though it means Nk has to make more assets for all of the combinations.
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
  • ElfElf Posts: 72 Seed
    PLG wrote:
    In real life when you make something you get feedback from the crafting process that you are getting somewhere.

And you never accidentally make a fence when you were trying to assemble an axe.

I would very much like to see the crafting options and select one, when I'm hovering over craftable materials.

Ideally, I'd like a stack of items to look different from one, even if that doesn't scale the way block-materials do. So two or more wood handles would look like a cluster of them, and you'd know whether you're picking up one or more-than-one without needing to wait for mouseover text.
  • TcheyTchey Posts: 17 Seed
    edited June 2015
    Hello,

I'm trying TUG again with the lastest update, and this discussion seems to be more than ever accurate.

it doesn't feel right to "have to" use this : http://tug.ovh/crafting/tug-search.html out

Any plan to improve that part of the game "soon" ? and how ? At least an ingame book with some reciepes would be great. Then we (you) can extend the book, finding buy yourself, or finding stones carved ingame. Would be really nice. A lot. Don't you think ?
  • NekochuNekochu Posts: 244 Developer
    Well the planned crafting journal is our solution we're testing out. We're starting work on it now and the design for it is to offer basically a list of recipes available and what are the resources required for those recipes.

The gameplay around it is to make this an opt in feature, you have to open it from your inventory to see the list, and the list is not a complete list, it will grow over time as you do things in the game. So this still keeps the element of trial and discovery to crafting without taking too much away as well as offering an in-game version of what a lot of videos and websites are taking the place of at the moment.
    Twitter: @X_Nekochu_X
    Tumblr: xnekochux