Ramps or stairs?

xx_hodgiexx_hodgie Posts: 28 Seed
edited February 2015 in Gameplay
How do you build a nice incline to run up easily like in the Tree House video and i cant make stairs that work to save my life
11.jpg
12.jpg

Comments

• ZakeZake Posts: 216 Seed
    Try using a non-square material like stacked wood, thatch, dirt, etc. and build stairs at the smallest voxel size.
    I think more than I say and say more than I do, but I do more than I used to and plan to continue.
    TUG modder (at least in the ounce of free time that occasionally flits by)
  • xx_hodgiexx_hodgie Posts: 28 Seed
    Tyvm it worked with stacked wood a lil wonky at first but got it going good now
    11.jpg
    12.jpg
  • reedooreedoo Posts: 151 Seed
    As Zake put it - you need to place in the smallest voxel size, and it's only certain materials that place in a smooth style, others place in chunky block form. So you need to experiment with different materials.

If you want to build a smooth rock staircase/ramp - you will need to dig down deep (about 25-30) large voxels and you'll hit an odd blue rock which you can't actually mine with any tools ATM. But you can obtain it by mining it's edges where it is a mix of cobblestone/dirt etc. this "Rock" places in a smooth rolling fashion similar to Stacked Wood.
  • ZakeZake Posts: 216 Seed
    Oh wow, that's awesome -- I never thought to put down that blue rock just yet. It's not a blue rock when you place it though.
    I think more than I say and say more than I do, but I do more than I used to and plan to continue.
    TUG modder (at least in the ounce of free time that occasionally flits by)
  • Just a note; It appears that for stacked wood to act like stairs each stair needs to be 2 blocks high/deep.
    In other words there needs to be a stacked wood block underneath any stacked wood block you intend to walk up.
  • Azzanine wrote:
    Just a note; It appears that for stacked wood to act like stairs each stair needs to be 2 blocks high/deep.
    In other words there needs to be a stacked wood block underneath any stacked wood block you intend to walk up.

^^^^^^^
    This is true!

I was trying to figure out how to describe this building requirement, as I only just figured it out in game a bit ago. Then I see that Azzanine has already nailed it.

To put it another way, stacked wood won't smooth, unless it's placed on top of stacked wood. It also doesn't work to have a void under each step (diagonal placement of stacked wood).

The same seems to be true of dirt. Although dirt or mud underneath seems to work.

One way I experimented with placement characteristics is to build a big smooth wall of cobblestone. Then you can build out a staircase running along the wall pretty easy.

Game on!
  • AzureAzure Posts: 4
    I found this when I tried building for the "treehouse challenge" yesterday - trying to make a kind of spiral staircase results in something that looks like a thick tree branch xD

...unfortunately I forgot my way back to it when I went out looking for fruit and veg, and pumpkins for storage - I've now spent hours scouring the map with an inventory full of all the things I was looking for to no avail... >,<
    (serves me right for not screenshotting my co-ords before leaving)