No patches for a while

xJupiterxJupiter REGISTERED Posts: 7 Podling
edited December 2014 in Alpha Forum
There's been almost 2 months with no patch, is there an estimate time for multiplayer?

Comments

• ZakeZake REGISTERED Posts: 216 Seed
    It's taking a while, but they are working hard on it. The Indev branch was last updated on 11/7 and while Multiplayer isn't yet ready for even the Indev branch release, the new terrain generation is working.

I don't think even Nerd Kingdom knows how long this will take, especially since with half of their development team it's taking at least twice as long as it otherwise would have.
    I think more than I say and say more than I do, but I do more than I used to and plan to continue.
    TUG modder (at least in the ounce of free time that occasionally flits by)
  • RawrRawr REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 511 Seed
    Careful. Adding in more devs to finish multiplayer coding doesn't necessarily correlate with getting multiplayer out faster.

Further reading:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month
    Programmer, designer, artist.
  • ZakeZake REGISTERED Posts: 216 Seed
    Agreed, but I feel like they're having the opposite problem. They still have the same amount of work to do and half the people to do it. Just as adding people to the project will take some time to get them up to speed, removing people from the project probably took some extra time, because those who were still around had to more fully understand what the others had been working on. And though it's quite probable the core programmers were mostly untouched, I'm certain all aspects of development have been slowed in some way.

I'm not saying the problem can be fixed now in the short term by adding people, only that removing people slowed the progress.
    I think more than I say and say more than I do, but I do more than I used to and plan to continue.
    TUG modder (at least in the ounce of free time that occasionally flits by)
  • xx_hodgiexx_hodgie REGISTERED Posts: 28 Seed
    kinda disheartening atm im building a Mountain Village in the Indev branch but that wont hold me over for long
    11.jpg
    12.jpg
  • DarkPriestDarkPriest REGISTERED, GLOBAL_MODERATORS, Moderator, Developers Posts: 26 Developer
    We have been slowed down. But everyone is now completely focused on Multiplayer. I would love to be able to give you guys a date for the release, but we don't have one yet. Everybody is working their butts off to get the best MP experience we can. So lots of iteration and testing as we rework all the systems and new terrain into the networking infrastructure. :D
    Producer on the TUG Team
    <Official Cat Wrangler>
  • reedooreedoo REGISTERED Posts: 151 Seed
    edited December 2014
    I'm looking forward to Multiplayer as it will be my first crack at it. I hope there is a lot of ability for cooperative play not just PvP.
  • reedooreedoo REGISTERED Posts: 151 Seed
    Rawr wrote:
    Careful. Adding in more devs to finish multiplayer coding doesn't necessarily correlate with getting multiplayer out faster.

Further reading:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month

This reads like every over-lord style IT firm I have ever worked for. The problem is you are actually meant to either a) get the right amount of people the first time or b) get more than you need. Of course bringing people in late to any project means that they take up time to coordinate and get up to speed. Then you also have the problem of losing people to a) sick leave b) stress c) better positions/situations/companies because they hate your stressful environment.

I feel like most managers and project managers I've ever encountered in the IT industry literally live under a rock. One of the many reasons I chose to leave it far behind.
  • TcheyTchey REGISTERED Posts: 17 Seed
    Multiplayer is fine. Too bad i'm mostly a solo player, and almost never play online, only for MMORPG or shooters, sometimes.
  • xJupiterxJupiter REGISTERED Posts: 7 Podling
    Come on people we need an update!
  • Red AgliatorRed Agliator REGISTERED Posts: 307 Seed
    NerdKingdom posted a brief progress report last week:

TUG News 12/2/14

(Though if you normally look at only the forum site, you might've missed it--I did.)
  • xx_hodgiexx_hodgie REGISTERED Posts: 28 Seed
    its been 2 weeks since we've heard anything from NK!!!

Is there anything, and I mean Anything to report?

Talk to us PLEASE we are kids craving your attention
    11.jpg
    12.jpg
  • PamcakesPamcakes REGISTERED Posts: 738
    Hodgie, you should make a twitter and follow Ino and the official NK and TUG accounts if you want some steady flow of info instead of waiting for an update announcement. Ino just told us he became the new CEO of the company on there a few days ago. So apparently, there's some good news coming? :)
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
  • cambocambo REGISTERED Posts: 152 Developer
    We'll start kicking up again with some news soon. Currently, the team is heavily focused on bringing out multiplayer and you should start seeing some testing videos on our YouTube channel again. I mainly push all the news on our social media stuff but I was out for a few months due to personal reasons; a death in the family. The guys were just to swamped to handle any of it during the time I was gone. We will be kicking back in gears real hard once the New Year start!
  • SigilSigil REGISTERED Posts: 678 Developer
    Glad to have you back Cambo.