Tug Traditionalists' Wiki?

ZakeZake REGISTERED Posts: 216 Seed
edited November 2014 in Community Voices
So I've heard rumblings of discontent that there's a TUG wiki up that basically tells you how to do everything in the game. I agree that there should be some element of mystery and discovery, and I've even had to turn to the wiki at times because sometimes, what I think is intuitive about how to make something isn't how it's implemented.

Since this is the open and free internet and everyone can and will put up anything they want, I wonder if it might help to respond with a community guide that we can turn to when we need a hint but don't want our hand held. I think such a page could also be a hub for lore, videos, pasta, etc. if the forums aren't enough. Do you think it's feasible and/or necessary? Or is it better to avoid the idea of a wiki altogether and keep the game self-contained? Is there a different solution that would suit our needs? Should I "stuff it" and play the game?

If such an alternate wiki is a good idea after all, I'll say now that I don't have the time or means to do it, but I could perhaps help out. I'm more floating the idea right now.
I think more than I say and say more than I do, but I do more than I used to and plan to continue.
TUG modder (at least in the ounce of free time that occasionally flits by)

Comments

• reedooreedoo REGISTERED Posts: 151 Seed
    Rumblings of discontent don't make any sense. The Wiki is there as a resource - and I am sure it is useful to a number of game players - if you are looking up something it's because you want the answer...?

I suppose I don't know how Wiki's work or are coded/made. But maybe you could suggest to the Wiki guys to have a Hint section close to the top of the page of articles (I assume you generally mean about crafting) - and the actual nuts and bolts lower either in a click open area, or slightly obscured in some way so it's not immediately given away?

I like that there's a Wiki - at the moment the only thing I don't like it how it doesn't say what you do with the Crystals - hahah, I don't know what I am meant to do with them.
  • RumbeardRumbeard REGISTERED Posts: 30 Seed
    The old Thaumcraft wiki for those familiar with it (Minecraft Mod) was under good (active) management and had a solid system in place to provide basic information or hints on items and recipes and had the detailed how-to under spoiler tags.

I liked this option - even if it was difficult to not click on the spoiler for a quick peek!

Maybe this would be a good implementation for the Tug wiki?
    8XNeipD.png
    tu4FQ4W.png
  • ZakeZake REGISTERED Posts: 216 Seed
    Ok yes that does make more sense.
    I think more than I say and say more than I do, but I do more than I used to and plan to continue.
  • Red AgliatorRed Agliator REGISTERED Posts: 307 Seed
    On this topic, do any of you have examples of wikis with spoiler / obfuscation tags in use? I only visit a few game wikis, but I bet the collective members of these forums have probably seen dozens. It'd be neat to see how other folks have solved this need.
  • RumbeardRumbeard REGISTERED Posts: 30 Seed
    Red and I have been in PM convo but thought we should share:
    Rumbeard wrote:
    Hey Red,

I couldn't find the original example I was thinking of, but if you look at this and imagine the information in "Sources" under a spoiler tag, you'll be on track with what I was trying to explain.

http://thaumcraft-3.wikia.com/wiki/Ignis

For TUG, it might look like a general description and the recipe and specifics in the spoiler:

Crude Bed

Sleeping will pass the time and allow you to wake up from any death you may experience...phew! It was just a dream.

It looks like this bed will do the job, and just needs some soft material and a couple supports.
    Right-clicking on a bed gives a short animation, replenishes your Energy and sets your Spawn Point to the current location. Game Time also passes, allowing you to switch between night and day lighting.

Recipe
    Ingredients:
    ---2x Chopped Wood
    ---3x Large Leaf
    ---2x Wood Shaft

Hope this helps!

Is this something the community would like to see implemented on the TUG wiki?
    8XNeipD.png
    tu4FQ4W.png
  • ZakeZake REGISTERED Posts: 216 Seed
    Absolutely. I think this solves the issue of spelling things out that don't need to be. And typically when I go to the wiki it's because I have some idea but don't exactly know how to do a thing. Like when I need to use a flat rock instead of a work table.