Blue rock? Unable to mine/shift/interact

reedooreedoo Posts: 151 Seed
edited February 2015 in Gameplay
So I've been digging out a mine system in the new InDev version - and it seems to me like ore occurs infrequently. I've dug a pretty formidable mine into the side and downwards in a mountain.

However after a while I hit this blue stone rock - which I can't mine with any of my tools. Anyone else come across this?

Comments

• ZakeZake Posts: 216 Seed
    I've not seen that but I'm intrigued. How deep (roughly) did you go to get to it?

A note about the infrequent ores, I was wondering about that myself, I'm not sure if that's intentional but I'm hoping a better ore system is implemented as these features get closer to "main branch" release.
    I think more than I say and say more than I do, but I do more than I used to and plan to continue.
    TUG modder (at least in the ounce of free time that occasionally flits by)
  • reedooreedoo Posts: 151 Seed
    Well I started the cave/mine at what appears to be the base of the mountain which is on a dirt mound about 9 large cubes (4x4 cubes?) high.

I can't count very well going down into the cave but I got to about 30 large cubes deep, this is when the blue rock popped up.

I've been trying to mine around it to see what it is.
    Had to split this due to the image limit in posts. But in working my way around it, I have found that there is an inventory item "Rock" accumulating which resembles the bluish rock. However when I place it - looks nothing like it, looks like a cobblestone road sort of! And once placed it is destructible.
    So it is destructible then? Just only with bronze tools? I'm guessing the cobble road texture is because of the degradation when you mine something, just like mining stone makes cobblestone, mining the blue rock gives you some sort of cracked stone? It seems there's a number of layers going into the ground. Wonder how many there are, perhaps we'll find fossils?

I got sidetracked, can't seem to use a durability potion on a pick so I'll have to do this by breaking many tools. Still haven't started metallurgy.
    I think more than I say and say more than I do, but I do more than I used to and plan to continue.
    I can't actually mine the "Rock" itself, I can only mine at the edges of it where there is Cobblestone or Dirt - it appears that I am getting the "Rock" because I am mining in large cubes (4x4) and perhaps some of it is being 'chiseled' off the sides of it. But Anything I hack directly AT a solid block of Rock - work wont.
    Another 30 seconds of mining and I found it. Looks like we're not supposed to be able to mine it, at least not with the tools I'm using. However I just discovered the larger mining size (shift+scroll) and it appears that if there's a 2x2x2 chunk that contains a non-blue-rock, it lets you mine the entire cube. I'm going to call that a bug.

Now to figure out metallurgy.....
    2CD2FDB75DA2B5F2992568EB6B7E73341C8766F8
  • RiggyRiggy Posts: 23 Seed
    I've been mining recently in my newly created world, and I've just encountered this strange rock for the first time. Is there any sort of way to get past it other than simply digging around it?
    23.jpg
  • Red AgliatorRed Agliator Posts: 307 Seed
    Riggy wrote:
    I've been mining recently in my newly created world, and I've just encountered this strange rock for the first time. Is there any sort of way to get past it other than simply digging around it?
    I've run across something like that when I'm very, very deep in my mine or in the mountains. (I get a bit of "Rock" in my inventory if I'm mining a large cube at a time.) I spent 15-20 minutes trying to find my way around it and never succeeded. One of these days I need to dig through it in creative mode and see whether I fall out the bottom of the world.
    As far as I know, the world is intentionally infinite vertically. I expect as we get more refined tools, we'll be able to mine through harder rock. The depth level is very much not uniform though, if you find the rock it's very likely you can turn another direction and keep going deeper. I think what stopped me last time I tried was there was a bug that created a void below y=0 but I think that's been fixed.
  • NekochuNekochu Posts: 244 Developer
    That is our "bedrock" for the time being. There are no categories set up for this stone to be broken yet but as we progress the tiers new tools will become available to break through this and on to the layers beyond.
    Twitter: @X_Nekochu_X
    Tumblr: xnekochux
  • RiggyRiggy Posts: 23 Seed
    Nekochu wrote:
    That is our "bedrock" for the time being. There are no categories set up for this stone to be broken yet but as we progress the tiers new tools will become available to break through this and on to the layers beyond.
    I thought it might be something like that. I'm glad to know that at some point we will be able to harvest this stuff, since the "rock" item it provides is excellent for making small statues to mark areas I've been in.
    23.jpg