Is water a planned feature for TUG?

Marioface5Marioface5 REGISTERED Posts: 57
edited October 2013 in Q & A
At first it seems like an obvious thing that would be included in the game, and I'll be really happy if it is, but dynamic liquids are kind of infamous for being extremely difficult to program and/or run. In Minecraft and Terraria it's not so bad, but in a game like TUG where everything isn't cubes and edges I have to wonder if something like water is even possible. Maybe I'm just overestimating how hard dynamic water is to have in a game, or how dynamic the water (or other liquids) in TUG would need to be, but it would be nice to know if there are any plans for it right now, or if for whatever unfortunate reason TUG is planned to be a liquid-free game.

Comments

• VisigothVisigoth REGISTERED Posts: 268
    good question, I hadn't even considered not having water... but now that you mention it, so far TUG IS waterless O_O
    2mrSQTP.png
    tqJH8d0.png L8gIJPq.png HS9Ak7Z.png bJiq4Rv.png
  • Marioface5Marioface5 REGISTERED Posts: 57
    Ooh, in AzzytheAussie's interview with Lefty the question about water was asked and Lefty said that it is planned to be in the game eventually. Hopefully nothing will get in the way of that happening.
  • TestamentofTestamentof REGISTERED Posts: 1,234 Seed
    I'm sure they'll add water, as it's in a lot of the concept art, but implementing it might be a bit difficult if we're attempting to avoid the way MC does it, and if it's can fill up areas or if it peters out like in MC...
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
  • JoeJoe REGISTERED Posts: 264 Seed
    Yeah don't worry. They are using their own physics engine, so they will account for this. I have a feeling it will be sloshy water that if you jump in it, it will have a ripple effect. Also, pumps will be needed to transport that kind of water if you want a lot of it.
  • PamcakesPamcakes REGISTERED, Moderator Posts: 738 Seed
    They are definitely adding water. When? We don't know, since water is extremely hard to replicate and create in a game. Of course they want to make it as best as possible, so they're gonna be working on it for a hot minute before deciding to put it out.
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
  • LeifLeif REGISTERED Posts: 361 Seed
    The water update is going to be so good. I want oceans. OCEANS!
    otViQlH.png
  • WingidonWingidon REGISTERED Posts: 1,128 Seed
    Water is hiraliously the hardest thing to implement in TUG according to what I know.
    I sexually identify as a set of knight full plate armor. I hope you can accept me the way I am; otherwise, check your armor privileges.
    Water is the hardest thing to implement in any game, according to any programmer.
    Pamcakes wrote:
    Water is the hardest thing to implement in any game, according to any programmer.
    Have a glass of WATER (no sugar indeed)
    I sexually identify as a set of knight full plate armor. I hope you can accept me the way I am; otherwise, check your armor privileges.
    Wingidon wrote:
    Pamcakes wrote:

*drinks* minerale.gif
  • JoeJoe REGISTERED Posts: 264 Seed
    Minecraft legit look the easy route out of the water (and lava) concept. It's just a block that flows in a direction if the space is free, and decreases in size a little bit, as there is a limit to how far the block can flow, from the original point of contact with any material.
    There are mods for minecraft for realistic water. that's the idea.
    Pamcakes wrote:
    Wingidon wrote:
    Pamcakes wrote:

*drinks* minerale.gif
    It did have sugar, that water. No, it's not your everyday sugar, it's the SECRET element (basically burnt corpses, the result is an addictive dessert, mostly adictive)
  • ShadeeShadee REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS, Moderator, Developers Posts: 399 Site Admin
    Yup, there will definitely be water. :)
    -Dee.
  • VisigothVisigoth REGISTERED Posts: 268
    awesome, I'm totally taking that as set in stone "Official Word" ;p
    2mrSQTP.png
    tqJH8d0.png L8gIJPq.png HS9Ak7Z.png bJiq4Rv.png
    Visigoth wrote:
    awesome, I'm totally taking that as set in stone "Official Word" ;p
    So I quoted somewhere else *stares at Visigoth with a copyrighted face* c:
  • NelfieNelfie REGISTERED Posts: 9
    I asked this in the old forums, Ino did give an answer, although a bit vague. But we will most likely get water added to the game. Hopefully it will not work like it do in Minecraft, I added my share of suggestions towards the water/liquid physics as well (in the old forums). But for now, we can only hope for something awesome! :)
    18.jpg

You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.

- Albert Einstein
  • baronnecrospasmbaronnecrospasm REGISTERED Posts: 1
    I am an alpha backer of the physical tier and I hardly ever play or test TUG nor do my friends I got the alphas for because we 3 feel that without water, the game is only meh. :P

So yeah, not having water affects some people.
  • BandersnatchBandersnatch REGISTERED Posts: 101 Seed
    If all else fails they can always go with the minecraft method then do a similar thing that they do with the land to smooth it. For movement all you need is an animated bump map. Liquids that behave like liquids essentially work like minecraft's except with much smaller blocks. The problem with water is trying to get all of those blocks to still run on the computer properly. Also with the entire TUG world they're essentially dealing with the same issues that you run into when dealing with water. So as TUG gets optimized, water will became much less impact full in the future and more likely to appear.
  • aussiefirefighteraussiefirefighter REGISTERED, Moderator Posts: 60 Seed
    ok so ideas with water

Flooding, build your house in a flood prone area risk it being washed away

Game dynamics - you need rain to make the grass trees, animals, monsters all flourish without it would become a mega Arid wasteland

why not have a tank or 3 to be able to save water for long periods of drought and the need to run steam machinery :D

or harness the water mixed with geothermal to produce electricty :D
    FireFighter, SES Volunteer, Motorbikes, Gamer :D

18.jpg
    sig.jpg
  • lolmartlolmart REGISTERED Posts: 17 Seed
    edited June 2015
    Holy shit.. i hope water fills up empty shit and evens out.. i want to make complex canals and shit you guys! D: @Shadee YOU GUYS PLS
  • FireRunaFireRuna REGISTERED Posts: 38 Seed
    edited June 2015
    Yes, Ocean please, or Sea with sea-life and sea-floor...
    I would love to build Bi-Pedal Submarine to explore all the underwater ;D
  • deasantadeasanta REGISTERED Posts: 12 Seed
    edited September 2015
    for now we can only dream...

you can make a simple water plane to play with and for decor.
    Deasanta's TUGs : Website | GitHub | Google+ | TUG community on G+
  • KogisaKogisa REGISTERED Posts: 9 Podling
    Hi,

How is the water coming along?
    Is there a place where i can read what you guys are working on the future?
    21.jpg
    I doubt there's any. All I can tell is that they might be working on humongous (if not simply big) rearrangements of stuff at the core of the game itself, namely the artstyle.
  • RawrRawr REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 505 Seed
    Don't forget the engine
    Programmer, designer, artist.
  • KogisaKogisa REGISTERED Posts: 9 Podling
    Yeah, i just can't wait to see what NK has in store for us next year :)
    So exited man :D
    21.jpg
  • jon14ukjon14uk REGISTERED Posts: 782 Seed
    I really doubt anything I doubt water is even gonna happen and half the things planned really had hope really really did . So many games have recently just flopped and when you see it happen so many times you can tell what it looks like. I think they want to do it but I dont think they can and I dont think they can stomach telling us they cant. I believed in you all so much but at the rate the game is coming it tells me you all have to many problems going on and cant make this game the way you wanted it to. Please prove me wrong I really did believe in you all.
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    The Military General for xandertopia :D .
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
  • RawrRawr REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 505 Seed
    @jon14uk It might be a good time to take a break. I still believe but even I think it's best to put it to one side for the moment.
    Programmer, designer, artist.