A message about TUG In Development

NekochuNekochu REGISTERED Posts: 244 Developer
edited October 2014 in News & Updates
Welcome to TUG In Development! A lot of things are happening here at Nerd Kingdom and we want to share them with you even if they aren’t quite ready for release. The biggest thing you’ll find here is our new terrain generation. With this version we have moved all of our existing game features as well as anything in development over to function on the new terrain, so expect the same game play you can find in the public release now supported here on our new terrain generation.

Let’s start with what all you will find In Development. First off you’ll notice that the world looks much different. We have improved our lighting which reflects across all textures and models already in the game. With the new terrain engine we have also adjusted our terrain. You will find biomes that occur in round shapes making it much easier to find your way through the world. In addition to this change in biome shape, large mountain ranges can be found in the world to really help create large landmarks that you can also use to navigate the world.

tumblr_inline_ndwry0Ws2v1s6a3cn.jpg
tumblr_inline_ndwq95VdJK1s6a3cn.jpg
tumblr_inline_ndwq9jPmBP1s6a3cn.jpg
tumblr_inline_ndwq9wJKXV1s6a3cn.jpg

New terrain also means new block shapes. Soils and soft materials like snow can be placed in spherical shapes, forming mounds when stacked. Dirt, vegetation and natural textures are placed in beveled cubes and manufactured materials like cobblestone and wood planks are placed in the standard cube shape that all of our blocks previously adhered to. As the game progresses players will encounter more of this separation between materials that are smooth and natural as well as manufactured hard lined shapes.

In addition to these placement changes, tools now follow a different shape pattern. Picks dig out in beveled cube shapes while shovels dig with a large spherical pattern. Using a shovel underground can make wonderful Hobbit holes! Hammers and axes are set to dig in a cube pattern but currently blocks still adhere to their placement rules when dug, so currently the cube digging will still only perform beveled cube cuts.

As for actual game play elements, this In Development branch supports crafting, farming, apothecary, hunting, building and the crude & bronze tiers of tools & weapons. Ores for the bronze tools occur at a layer of rock found beneath any of the biomes and are randomly found in this rock layer below the surface. Caverns and a true ore system will be available in an upcoming release.

Finally you will also find some of our new features that managed to make it into this version of the game as well. You will find a new predator, the first few elements of our alchemy system as well as a trap that can be created to capture critters!

To get into our in development branch of TUG, follow the instructions here on Steam.

If you have any questions or comments on the topic, or are generally concerned, you can ask me on twitter @X_Nekochu_X, or on the following reddit post and I will do my best to reply to everyone with valid inquiries or thoughts.
Twitter: @X_Nekochu_X
Tumblr: xnekochux

Comments

• PamcakesPamcakes REGISTERED Posts: 738
    You guys are doing such amazing work!
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
  • Lukky3mLukky3m REGISTERED Posts: 44 Seed
    Yes, They are *o*!!
    21.jpg
    6.jpg
  • reedooreedoo REGISTERED Posts: 151 Seed
    Anything to improve navigation! yay
    Could someone do any gameplay T-T. Im withou pc i cant play to see by myself
    21.jpg
    6.jpg
    Lukky3m wrote:
    Could someone do any gameplay T-T. Im withou pc i cant play to see by myself

Oh hi there, here, I did something for you! It's really nothing, I'm just flying around in creative mode. Captured that and cut a few scenes together to show off the Indev branch to you. :D Hope you think it's pretty!
    Hey so.... how are you playing the new terrain InDev version? I don't see how to do this. o_O
    Wow... Really thanks Pam i love u.. And the new terrain gen are just amazing, there is no comparison..

Reedo, to u enter in dev u need go on property of tug on steam and u on the last part, and u chan ur beta to indev..sorry i'm not so good on english and i dont know the name of that division on the upper part of property.. :/
    21.jpg
    6.jpg
    So I found it - thanks, your explanation was fine.
    TUG > Right Click > Properties > Betas

[strike]But when I enter my BETA code that I got via email it says it is invalid. :/ Hrm[/strike] Actually - it's not locked and I made the mistake of assuming it was like the Wiki. @[email protected]; ignore me. I got it working.
    reedoo wrote:
    So I found it - thanks, your explanation was fine.
    TUG > Right Click > Properties > Betas

[strike]But when I enter my BETA code that I got via email it says it is invalid. :/ Hrm[/strike] Actually - it's not locked and I made the mistake of assuming it was like the Wiki. @[email protected]; ignore me. I got it working.

I put the link to the instructions in the description of my video Q^Q
  • skypatcherskypatcher REGISTERED Posts: 12
    The new terrain is way better! Absolutely no question about that!

Now the not so positive comment: I am very pleasantly surprised by and actually amazed at the new terrains for the first 20 minutes ... until I start digging down the terrain, and trying to level a plot. I got more and more frustrated as I tried to perform either of these tasks. I have to give up and take breaks many times; hoping I will regain my motivation.

I tried several rounds, and got little success. Several 'blocks' below the ground is like a forbidden zone: the texture changed to grass and you can't see above when you look upward. I have to struggle to pass the zone every time I need to go deeper and come back to the surface. I believed that may be just a bug.

Keeping the tunnel straight and descending steadily is almost impossible! This may not be a big problem if I want to dig a horizontal cave inside a mountain.

Leveling a plot is also a nightmare. The short day/night cycle is not helping, you can see the plot clearly only for a very brief time of the day/night cycle. Can we have a longer (at least 4x, may be) day/night cycle? This way, we can have loner daylight to perform daytime task, and longer darkness to perform nighttime job (such as hunting in the dark). We can then 'instantly' sleep through the other long half of the cycle using the bed. So everyone will be happy.

Since the new terrain is not officially released, I understand the developers are very actively making improvements and adjustments; so I am not totally upset. I want to share my frustration, in case the developers like to have a feedback of the new terrain.

Please keep up with the good work, the new terrain is fantastic! We just need more intuitive visual clues and tools to work with the terrain.
    this update are in dev build yet.. We expect to have lot os bugs and be quinda broken...but is good to know the issues.. I think with this devs can have a good feedback of what they need to fix.
    21.jpg
    6.jpg
    At the moment the only issue I'm finding with the new terrain is the oddness that flowers, fruits, plants and other things don't seem to sit "on" the ground and roots which should be below the ground appear above ground. So it looks like they are a ways off from releasing this to alpha - as the in game objects appear to have trouble identifying the top of the terrain.

Oh - and Pamcakes I watched the embedded video - so didn't go to the YouTube page to see your comments/description.
    Ah alright, that's makes sense Reedoo. Also, it's not a long ways off, it's actually going to be the next update we have (if they don't push it back again). What we're seeing in the Indev Branch, is actually a few steps behind what they're actually working on in-house. So for all we know the hovering object bug could've been fixed.
  • RinRin REGISTERED Posts: 668 Seed
    i've had some success using axes and hammers for flattening. the tools use different terrain forming methods, and those form in cube shapes. for a flattening material, i've also found thatch (or in it's base form, grass blocks) is exceptionally good for flat building, due to it's abundance and it's cube block shape. cobblestone isn't bad either.
    Warthunder, TUG and world of tanks fan/beta tester.
    member of The Lemurian empire and the Merchants guild
    Soon to be alchemist/apothecary in TUG
    20.jpg
  • CopperbatCopperbat REGISTERED Posts: 6
    I absolutely love the new terrain and everything that comes with this indev update. I had a funny bug happen though. I used a durability potion on my crude pick and the crude axe in the top right slot of my inventory was suddenly at 0%. I clicked it to my hand and it turned into a hosta bush, which I was then able to place as if I was in creative mode and break producing the usual materials. Needless to say I was very confused and amused. :)
    Okay - now that I am playing more of the InDev version in survival mode there is some seriously weird shit going on here.

- If you look at the ground where there is green grass, and walk in any direction - there is some crazy expand/collapse distortion going on.
    - Does anyone else feel like their tools are breaking at a ridiculously fast rate? I can't seem to get much use out of anything in digging before it is toasted.
    - Also encumbrance ... @[email protected] one of the worst game elements in any game. WHY? WHY WHWYWHWYWHWYWHY! *Beats head into keyboard*
    - Someone else mentioned this > but this new version feels like there is very little daylight vs. night cycle and it is really fast too? Maybe it hasn't changed... Maybe it feels like watching a kettle boil
    - Could this game get any darker at night? *Can't see anything*
    - Also when placing terrain-type material for building - multiple times I hear the "successful placement" noise - however nothing was placed, and I have lost the supplies as if it was placed.
    - Digging into mountains > I have tried this multiple times at various points, and quite often I will 'strike' and my tool will take damage and the 'destruction puff' will appear, but no terrain will have been removed?

It's still quite pretty though.
  • TestamentofTestamentof REGISTERED Posts: 1,234 Seed
    Reedoo, welcome to indev, where everything is broken and mechanics are subject to change! Voicing what you like and dislike will help with balance though. I do also think that Encumbrance needs to be scaled back quite a bit
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
  • CopperbatCopperbat REGISTERED Posts: 6
    I really think encumbrance is a nice mechanic though I do agree it needs to be scaled a bit. It's pretty hard to arrange your base if you can't move once you've picked up a stone furnace. The developers probably have a solution already but it adds a need for something like the wheel or a pulley systems to move things. While that's a cool idea it makes it hard to move your base to a new location.
    Isn't encumbrance in games the amount of stuff you can carry usually? I think that's what he was talking about...Maybe?
    The way they are tracking encumbrance makes sense, but the way that tracking then translates does not. I would have had it kick in a bit later and (I didn't notice if it did this) have it affect energy usage later as well.
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
  • NoobOwnagNoobOwnag REGISTERED Posts: 1
    Any idea when multiplayer will be working?

:geek:
    no clue, hopefully within the next 2 main branch updates.
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
    Encumbrance seems to have an effect on Stamina from what I can see so far. Also - every game I have ever played that has this annoying element - I have immediately implemented a cheat code of trainer hack to remove it. Totally hate it.

I think the fact that your backpack and item stacking restricts you seems more than enough.

Side note... has anyone found flat rocks? I am having trouble tracking one down - but the overabundance of tall grass may be impeding my search as well.
  • ZakeZake REGISTERED Posts: 216 Seed
    Funny, when I was playing I saw that I had encumbrance, but didn't notice much movement hit. Then again, I wasn't carrying a big furnace either, just some wood and dirt and stuff. I wonder if maybe the encumbrance starts as a slight penalty (as if your load is merely uncomfortable) and then steadily worsens with weight? That's at least how I'd like it to work.

Though it makes the game more difficult, I appreciate the limited nature of the seed's backpack: 21 inventory slots and a weight limit should appease some disbelief at nuclear warhorse seeds. It's probably years of development away but I could see utilization of wheeled carts, maybe even horse-drawn, as a means of transporting large volumes of material.

Otherwise, other than the obligatory refining of certain rough bits, I think the new terrain looks amazing, in my mind it's like the difference between 2002 graphics and next-gen graphics.
    The little mushroom men are hilarious and cute too :P

P.S. For good times see this link for some fun quasi-minecraft-science here
    I think more than I say and say more than I do, but I do more than I used to and plan to continue.
    TUG modder (at least in the ounce of free time that occasionally flits by)