Point of Interest (0.2.5) - Mod [TUG v0.8.6]

mercormercor REGISTERED Posts: 64 Seed
edited October 2015 in Custom Objects
64swu43fd8yn.jpg
Current version: 0.2.5
TUG version: 0.8.6
Website: https://github.com/mercorii/PointOfInterest/tree/dev (instructions, how to install, etc)

Features

* Full color GUI compass.
* Compass shows N, E, S and W markers.
* Compass also shows custom Point of Interest markers. (Five different marker icons available!)
* Marker names are shown when they are straight ahead, Gramma's recipes style.
* Possibility to add name, description and different icon for created Points of Interests in GUI.
* Some of the mod options can be configured by editing config.txt.

Known issues

* This is dev build, and because of that there might be game breaking bugs left.
* There is no way to limit what PoI markers are shown on compass. Currently everything is shown, which gets messy after couple of markers.
* Slash commands don't seem to work any longer.
* Hiding compass by P or another specified key no longer works.

Original post:
Point of Interest mod

Adds invisible point of interest objects into the game. Player can use these objects to mark interesting locations in order to more easily find them again at a later time.

Current version: 0.1.0

Requirements: works only with the latest InDev build

Website: http://mercorii.github.io/PointOfInterest/ (instructions, how to install, etc)

UI: As this is a very early version, the mod comes only with a command line UI. Available commands can be found on the mod's website.

Things to be added in the future:
  • Graphical UI
  • Persistence (saving data)

What's new:
  • Mod no longer requires editing lua files in order to work.
Modder in making. Point of Interest mod - Now with GUI

twitter: @mercorinred

Comments

• johnycilohoklajohnycilohokla REGISTERED Posts: 283 Developer
    Cool idea.
    Once the GUI is in I will definitely use it.

If you want to add persistence now, the standard lua lib IO should work (it is enabled in TUG).
    You can read/write to file. The only downside is there is no way to list files, so it would be best to store the points in a single file(per world, if possible).
    My Blog
    jc.png
      yt.png  t.png  
  • SigilSigil REGISTERED Posts: 678 Developer
    How does it work exactly? Is it a visual icon or can you call it's location?
  • mercormercor REGISTERED Posts: 64 Seed
    If you want to add persistence now, the standard lua lib IO should work (it is enabled in TUG).
    You can read/write to file. The only downside is there is no way to list files, so it would be best to store the points in a single file(per world, if possible).

I was thinking of using the standard I/O for saving data, until a better way is implemented. Still the main problem with persistence is, that there doesn't seem to be a way to get the world name. At least this was the case with latest regular build. I'm not sure if they added it in the latest InDev.

So I could save the data, but it would be same for all the worlds. And that might be confusing.

How does it work exactly? Is it a visual icon or can you call it's location?

Currently there are no visual indicators for the markers. I've been thinking of ways to do the UI without using GUI at all, but I'm not sure how that should be done just yet.

The non-GUI user interface for the mod could consist of craftable beacon stones, that would have different symbols for different beacon types. Different types or categories of beacon stones could consist of something like building, nature, danger, etc. What I don't know, is how to help players locate these different beacons easily. Maybe they could light in the distance if player holds a certain item in her hand? Should there be a (scent) trail towards them? Should there be a wisp that would lead player to them?

But it's still totally open, so all ideas are welcome :D The main constraint is probably that it needs to be something rather simple to implement, at least for now.

The current version (0.1.0) only has console/chat ui. You can add new PoI marker by writing /CreatePointOfInterest <one word name> <one word description> <one word category>. Then you can use /ListPointsOfInterest, /DistanceToPointOfInterest <id>, /DirectionToPointOfInterest <id> to query for markers and their ids, and your direction/distance to them. There is a bit more information on the github website. The console UI is not very ideal, as you have to poll the direction to the marker multiple times to get the right direction, but it's intended to be there just as a means to test that the mod's main functionality works.

How it works on the code level, there's a class PointOfInterestMain that has an instance of it available at EternusEngine.mods.PointOfInterest.Main. This location and the class name might change in future versions, though. You can currently query it for all created PoI objects, and distance and direction to a specific object. Direction is available in both radians and degrees. You can also add new PoI objects with a method. There might be a possibility to query for all PoI objects that are marked to be of certain category, but I'm not sure if that was implemented already.

• UnjustCustosUnjustCustos REGISTERED Posts: 39
    I dig this. Keep it up.
  • johnycilohoklajohnycilohokla REGISTERED Posts: 283 Developer
    mercor wrote:
    I was thinking of using the standard I/O for saving data, until a better way is implemented. Still the main problem with persistence is, that there doesn't seem to be a way to get the world name. At least this was the case with latest regular build. I'm not sure if they added it in the latest InDev.
    Not sure if you can get the world name in InDev, I have just tested it for 2 hours, mainly GUI.
    I'm not getting into it until it is released, I have too many core changes that I would need to port (and then port again after update).
    But you could add 2 commands, load and save
    /SavePointsOfInterest fileName
    /LoadPointsOfInterest fileName
    My Blog
    jc.png
      yt.png  t.png  
    mercor wrote:
    Not sure if you can get the world name in InDev, I have just tested it for 2 hours, mainly GUI.
    I'm not getting into it until it is released, I have too many core changes that I would need to port (and then port again after update).
    But you could add 2 commands, load and save
    /SavePointsOfInterest fileName
    /LoadPointsOfInterest fileName

That would be the easy way to do it. I don't know why I didn't think of it myself.

New TEST version 0.2.0 - Now with GUI

After a

loo
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    ng

wait, I finally have a new version of the mod available.

And finally there's an actual GUI worth using coming with it. Or well, the GUI's graphics are still placeholders, but at least there's something.

It's still a bit buggy, and I will try to get rid of some of those hopefully some time soon.

Known issues:
    • Unfortunately it's still not possible to save any markers between sessions.
    • PoI items jump and disappear at some positions
    • Graphics are bit ugly
    • Requires use of Johny's CommonLib_mods mod in order to work: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1937

You can find the latest version of the mod at the dev branch of the normal repository: https://github.com/mercorii/PointOfInterest/tree/dev

To make it clear, this is still early build. Don't wander off too far from your buildings. The mod doesn't yet save any PointOfInterest markers. Also there is no guarantee markers wouldn't get lost in some strange corrupted situations.

If you got any errors or bugs, do share them, and I will try to fix them as soon as possible.

Updated the mod to work with latest TUG version 0.8.3.

Now you can hide the compass bar by hitting P.

https://github.com/mercorii/PointOfInterest/tree/dev

v0.2.4

Changes:

* Updated to work with latest TUG build 0.8.4.
    * Point of Interest markers are now saved between sessions.
    * Icons on compass should no longer disappear from compass when looking at them from certain angle. (all leaks in world fabric should now be sealed)

Known issues:

* Breaks when used with CommonLib
    * All PoI icons are visible all the time. Compass will get messy if there are more than couple of icons.
    * No way to remove existing Points of Interests

Latest version still available in the dev branch at github: https://github.com/mercorii/PointOfInterest/tree/dev

• Blaze1961Blaze1961 REGISTERED Posts: 2 Podling
    Any updates coming for 8.6? Compass works just can't place any POI's either with commands or blue button.
    I have updated the mod to work with TUG version 0.8.6.

The latest version is available at: https://github.com/mercorii/PointOfInterest/tree/dev.

New in version 0.2.5:

* Updated to work with TUG version 0.8.6. (Should no longer crash when trying to add new markers.)
    * This time saving the markers between play sessions should actually work.

Known issues:

* Still no way of removing/hiding added markers.
    * Slash commands don't work at the moment.
    * Key command for hiding compass doesn't seem to work.

• edgorhamedgorham REGISTERED Posts: 4 Podling
    Please update for 0.8.7 Please
    20.jpg
  • RawrRawr REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 510 Seed
    edited November 2015
    edgorham said:

Please update for 0.8.7 Please

If you're that keen on the mod, support it i.e. get in contact with the modder and ask how you could help. "I'm looking forward to the update" - Sure.
    "please update" - Your not helping the situation.

Be aware that modders most likely have more on their plate than just making/updating mods.
    Programmer, designer, artist.
  • edgorhamedgorham REGISTERED Posts: 4 Podling
    I would take it over if modder wants
    20.jpg
  • RawrRawr REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 510 Seed
    Rawr said:

i.e. get in contact with the modder and ask how you could help.

Programmer, designer, artist.