Where does one find ore?

reedooreedoo REGISTERED Posts: 151 Seed
edited January 2015 in Gameplay
So with the introduction of this bronze age - I am at a loss where to look for said ore. I've tried digging in caves but only end up with tool heads so far. Am I meant to run around the terrain looking for it? Or am I meant to find a larger cave system?

Comments

• Red AgliatorRed Agliator REGISTERED Posts: 307 Seed
    Don't forget the third dimension...
  • NekochuNekochu REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS, Developers Posts: 244 Developer
    Keep digging! Ores occur very deep in the terrain.
    Twitter: @X_Nekochu_X
    Tumblr: xnekochux
  • reedooreedoo REGISTERED Posts: 151 Seed
    Arghhhh - are you sure? I just watched a TUG YouTube where they dug one clump of mud on the terrain and got tin ore. This is sooo frustrating.

I saw somewhere a script to check if an item exists on your map - now I can't find it. Is there a way I can check that there is ore on my map?

Edit: Also is there some kind of bug with the sound underground? I keep hearing sabre cats and kinkojin(?) as if they are right on top of me but there is nothing around.
    reedoo wrote:
    Arghhhh - are you sure? I just watched a TUG YouTube where they dug one clump of mud on the terrain and got tin ore. This is sooo frustrating.
    I saw a video like that, too. In that case, they were digging into the side of a cliff, above ground where they were standing, but many blocks below the top of the cliff. I explained it to myself as the game counting depth from the top of a cliff. Maybe the video you saw was similar?

When I've dug a hole directly down (no stairs) and counted how far I have to go to find ore, it's usually been 10-20 blocks down. If you're not finding anything, try a different biome (forest vs bamboo forest vs red hill vs desert, etc.). I know I've had luck in the red hills (that stair step desert-like area that is next to a biome with mossy trees and giant mushrooms). Also check whether you're in a mixed area (some features of two biomes) or 100% inside a particular biome. That may not make a difference, but maybe it does.
  • reedooreedoo REGISTERED Posts: 151 Seed
    I actually abandoned my original world and started a new. I don't know what setting I chose when it was created but it only seems to have the same repeating rocky and forest-y biomes again and again. New map - instantly easier to find ore. =_=

I think you might be right about the red rock biome - most of my map was littered with it in the original world.

I suppose it isn't a huge loss with a new world, I accidentally made my base camp next to a predator lair/spawn point (the only reason I can think there is growling and saber cat noises underground) and there are a lot of cats in the area no matter how many I kill.
  • RinRin REGISTERED Posts: 668 Seed
    yeah, the mobs actually spawn in the exact same spot each time, if you reload/walk far enough away to cause them to reset. i built a house with a goat literally in the side of my house. and in my garden.
    Warthunder, TUG and world of tanks fan/beta tester.
    member of The Lemurian empire and the Merchants guild
    Soon to be alchemist/apothecary in TUG
    20.jpg
  • zohaazohaa REGISTERED Posts: 1
    I seem to find myself constantly looking for food. I do a lot of camping and survival. I think the hunger level is falling way too fast. Is this a common problem for anyone but me?
    Try out our free 117-201 exam and latest comptia test king training courses to get high flying success in final msu and www.mountwashington.edu
  • TestamentofTestamentof REGISTERED Posts: 1,234 Seed
    reedoo wrote:
    I know I've had luck in the red hills (that stair step desert-like area that is next to a biome with mossy trees and giant mushrooms).
    I believe the geophysical term is Mesa?
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
    @zohaa: the hunger mechanic is turned up pretty high right now, so, yeah, starving a lot is normal. Some foods fill you up more than others, so experimenting might help. (I'm sure hunger will get tweaked as we go.)

I know I've had luck in the red hills (that stair step desert-like area that is next to a biome with mossy trees and giant mushrooms).
    I believe the geophysical term is Mesa?
    Wait, "geophysical"...are you talking about "real life" stuff?!?

I looked it up in the "secret" debug screen, and it turns out I was talking about the "Red Cliffs" biome. TUG apparently has a second stairstep biome that it calls "Mesa".
  • SilasETBSilasETB REGISTERED Posts: 30
    I finally found some ore while mining, and noticed something that might help. After finding the first ore, we continued mining in the same area and found many more. Then we started noticing that the blocks producing ore were all a darker color, with a veining pattern. Continued mining that area of similar colored rock, and cleaned up quite a bit of ore.

Not sure if that was random or by design, but it seemed to pay off in this case.