So what does everyone here think about the Minecraft buyout?

spacedotspacedot Posts: 416 Seed
edited October 2014 in Off Topic
Title says it all.

Comments

• Youngy798Youngy798 Posts: 905 Seed
    Hoping for the best, hopefully they don't start adding too much stuff. They didn't screw the XBLA version too much, so I guess MC PC should be fine.
    I don't really care anyways, I play a modded version of beta 1.7.
    Hello there! I am Youngy future owner of Plainhold (hopefully), go read the topic about Plainhold, and the Lemurian Empire, maybe also some of my other posts, like my mining suggestions! :)

Bye!
  • ValidifyedValidifyed Posts: 612 Seed
    Either it will continue on as usual, with more focus on Xbox, or it will become far more commercial in the way it deals with updates and platform update synchronicity (To name a few things) - Microsoft has been quoted saying they want to make minecraft "Economically stable" or something like that, the problem however is that most people already have minecraft, right? Mojang had made most of the money there is to get... so where's the billions Microsoft expecting going to come from?
  • spacedotspacedot Posts: 416 Seed
    I think Microsoft is not dumb and would not buy something for 2.5bil without having a plan. Seems like more people are mad at notch than anything else but i don't get why.
    spacedot wrote:
    I think Microsoft is not dumb and would not buy something for 2.5bil without having a plan. Seems like more people are mad at notch than anything else but i don't get why.

Notch has stated in the past that he hated microsoft, and would never sell to them, so... Yhe...
    Validifyed wrote:
    spacedot wrote:

Notch has stated in the past that he hated microsoft, and would never sell to them, so... Yhe...

When did he say about selling to them? I can find stuff about him not liking windows 8 but thats it. If those are all the comments he has said about Microsoft i don't think thats hate.
    It was more in general, he has always been against people like Microsoft, Facebook etc... And has always said he wouldn't sell out (Which we can assume he was referring to the big names Microsoft Fbook, as no one else could afford minecraft realistically.)
    To be fair, Minecraft has run its course, I find it difficult to believe I would ever sell a game that I had poured so much effort into, but Notch was clearly ready to move on having passed on the game's development to Jeb_, So I cant blame him for taking so much money. But it is also understandable that Microsoft of all people bought it, considering off all the big names, Microsoft was one of the ones he talked against the most.
    I know he didn't like facebook because of them buying oculus rift but i cant find stuff about him and not being a sellout or w.e. People were saying he hasn't been working on minecraft in over 2 years. His blog post made him sound sad and that he really didn't like being famous at all. I think its unfair to hate him for this decision.
  • ZekloZeklo Posts: 344 Seed
    Only time can tell what will happen really. Guess I'll have to wait and see.
    "All things must come to an end." "I am but one of many." "Why? Why not!"
  • TestamentofTestamentof Posts: 1,234 Seed
    Given that I've basically stopped playing it, I'm not too fussed. Minecraft will either keep going strong (until TUG becomes large enough to compete) or decline gradually and then TUG takes over.
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
    Given that I've basically stopped playing it, I'm not too fussed. Minecraft will either keep going strong (until TUG becomes large enough to compete) or decline gradually and then TUG takes over.

Sounds like every wow killer game. Still yet to happen.
  • RinRin Posts: 668 Seed
    so notch sold eh?
    truth be told, i stopped playing a while back. even then, i stopped caring about the updates because of a lack of super support from the modders. last i played was a semi-heavy modded pack of 1.6.4 so.... yeah. but still, interesting. assuming he gets even 10% of the sell from minecraft, he can easily retire.
    Warthunder, TUG and world of tanks fan/beta tester.
    member of The Lemurian empire and the Merchants guild
    Soon to be alchemist/apothecary in TUG
    20.jpg
    Rin wrote:
    so notch sold eh?
    truth be told, i stopped playing a while back. even then, i stopped caring about the updates because of a lack of super support from the modders. last i played was a semi-heavy modded pack of 1.6.4 so.... yeah. but still, interesting. assuming he gets even 10% of the sell from minecraft, he can easily retire.

I believe his share was $1.5billion, making him richer than even Gabe Newell + he has the profits of his share of 50+ million copies of minecraft allready sold.
    Validifyed wrote:
    Rin wrote:
    so notch sold eh?

I believe his share was $1.5billion, making him richer than even Gabe Newell + he has the profits of his share of 50+ million copies of minecraft allready sold.

I have seen people say 1.7bil but remember he lives in Sweden which has high taxes so he may just have 1 bil. Still a lot of money but not the 2.5bil people who don't like it say he has.
    spacedot wrote:
    Validifyed wrote:
    Rin wrote:
    so notch sold eh?

I have seen people say 1.7bil but remember he lives in Sweden which has high taxes so he may just have 1 bil. Still a lot of money but not the 2.5bil people who don't like it say he has.

Well the buyout was for the $2.5, (Im not sure how legal costs where managed) but also there were 3 Mojang members (AKA the 3 founding members) that left, including Notch. It seems certain that Notch got the largest share, but the other 2 founders will have gotten a fair deal too, I would imagine.
  • Hoppa_JoelHoppa_Joel Posts: 191 Seed
    I think Microsoft has a plan, I am doubting much of it has anything to do with the current state of Minecraft, but rather the name itself.

With upcoming games like TUG, Landmark, and a half dozen others in the works, for Microsoft to simply put out another random sandbox game would not put much money in their pockets.
    People always want the next expansion or game remake of the original, so I am betting M$ has something like minecraft finished or near finished, with some improvements already from Mojang's original Minecraft.
    It probably will not support any modding, or limited modding, but M$ will be able to call it "Minecraft 2" since they own Mojang and Minecraft.
    Any bets it appears before Christmas? :)
    I doubt much will change with the original Minecraft. THough there is EULA worries, as to monetized videos, as some folks whom make thier living on making youtube videos have worried, at any time Microsoft coudl pull the plug on that.
    An EULA are contracts well written by lawyers, all of them state that changes can be made to it to effect it retroactively. So, like saying "it can't effect me I play 1.64 or 1.7.10" or Whatever isn't true, it can effect you if they decide to effect you.
    AT launcher, and FTB and all the other launchers technically are not a mod but a third party edit of the program which can be considered a violation.
    Do I think M$ will mess with that aspect of the community?
    No,
    I think they are counting on that community's sales and free advertisement when they put out the next version of Minecraft. I doubt m$ will sell minecraft 2 for 26 dollars US, rather I am betting it would be a 49.99 type pricing range and people will pay for it. Imagine over 10 million copies of Minecraft has been sold, So you are looking at about 499900000 in sales if they match that, and any future expansion pack, because I doubt modded Minecraft will exist like we know it in a future version, it will be sold DLC packs.

This is just my speculations, on what will come from this purchase.
    Original Minecraft will most likely remain untouched Future titles is what M$ paid for, the name itself.
  • Ashen44Ashen44 Posts: 207 Seed
    me, a major mine craft player, can't get why everybody is making such a fuss over it. microsoft has said multiple times that it won't stop mods, you tubers, or the different platforms in general, yet I still see comments flooded with that crap. I'm perfectly fine with it, notch said he sold it because he never wanted to have such a big game, and microsoft is one of the companies actually able to support mine craft, and I know they will do their best not to screw it up. (if they do, pitchforks equipped everyone)
    The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The optimist sees it half full. The engineer sees the glass as twice as big as it needs to be.
  • Hoppa_JoelHoppa_Joel Posts: 191 Seed
    Yeah, like I said, I think m$ bought it for the name, more than the actual game.
    While advertisement is a good way to sell, an established item sells better on a sequel than a new similar product even if the "new" is better.
    So with the name, M$ can make anything and call it Minecraft 2.
    I believe Minecraft 1 will more or less be left alone, however, I can see the panic from some of the youtubers that feel they may lose their income source, as Microsoft could simply at any time pull the plug on monetized videos of their product.
  • Microsoft might have bought Minecraft for the name, but with everything that's happened recently, it's killed all enthusiasm I've had for Minecraft.

Seems all of the modders I've followed or cared about have moved on, Bukkit is in a latent state, and servers as a whole seem to be heading downhill, due to either loss of mod updates, or a community that's slowly backing away to view from afar what's happening with this deal.

Either way, the same day I saw the deal signed, was the day I found this gem, and grabbed 2 copies to test and hold on to.
  • ZakeZake Posts: 216 Seed
    It's a little late but I feel like adding my two cents to the topic.

I think Minecraft was already in a state of transition. The hype is dying down and the 12-year-olds and casual players will probably move on for the most part. But with every major game, there will be a core set of players for probably the next decade, hosting servers, making mods, etc. We just might not see it publicized as widely.

I think other games like TUG and Landmark will take on many of the players that lose interest in Minecraft, but Minecraft will always be seen as the original, the classic, and so it'll never truly be replaced. For what it's worth, I think to succeed as it should, TUG needs to distinguish itself clearly not as a successor to Minecraft, but as inspired by Minecraft. TUG shouldn't be seen as Minecraft 2.

I was as surprised as the rest of us, but the deal makes sense. Notch doesn't want to be in the global spotlight, he wants to tinker with hobby games. That's all Minecraft was, and somehow people liked it more than he ever dreamed. Plus, as Minecraft saturates its market, Mojang will have to stay relevant in order for the Mojangstas to stay employed. They're now game developers with the might and resources of Microsoft behind them. Now if Scrolls goes bust, they still have options.
    I think more than I say and say more than I do, but I do more than I used to and plan to continue.
    TUG modder (at least in the ounce of free time that occasionally flits by)