Spell Crystals

DemidevimonDemidevimon REGISTERED Posts: 19 Seed
edited September 2014 in Banter/General
Hi everyone it's me Demi again with another Random Topic
this time it's Spell Crystals (Non-Canon) "yet"

so instead of telling you in a long story what these are and how they work im going to simple post

the Convensation from TuG's Skype chat on which this topic was brought up , so plz be patient and read over the contents :3

[2:43:29 PM] Demi Devimon: IDEA instead of Spell scrolls we can us "spell Crytals"

[2:43:47 PM] Ymo/Ymedron: I'm just saying, if the cost is high then the benefit could be increased in proportion

[2:43:50 PM] The Arcanian: crystallized spells?

[2:43:53 PM] Demi Devimon: yes

[2:45:07 PM] Demi Devimon: umm the crystal would need to be activevated the same way a scroll is

[2:45:14 PM] Demi Devimon: or just shatter it

[2:45:27 PM] Ymo/Ymedron: embed crystal into other hand

[2:45:46 PM] Demi Devimon: im thinking for more practical uses ymo

[2:46:03 PM] Ymo/Ymedron: ?

[2:46:11 PM] Ymo/Ymedron: What kinds of uses?

[2:47:05 PM] Demi Devimon: like instead of casting fireball u throw a spell crystal at them and it explodes on contact

[2:47:17 PM] Demi Devimon: or purifiing water even

[2:47:26 PM] Ymo/Ymedron: So kinda like magic grenades?

[2:47:30 PM] Demi Devimon: yes and no

[2:47:46 PM] Demi Devimon: u can actavate them normaly

[2:47:58 PM] Demi Devimon: just like spell scrolls so u dont lose the crystal

[2:48:08 PM] Demi Devimon: and its more refined

[2:48:14 PM] Ymo/Ymedron: I've usually encountered only one-use spell scrolls

[2:48:37 PM] Ymo/Ymedron: So what are the drawbacks? These reusable crystals sound like a much better deal than casting magic.

[2:48:40 PM] Demi Devimon: the throwing is for insta results but they would be lesser

[2:48:43 PM] The Arcanian: hmm, i kinda am developing the opinion that stating with combat applications is the wrong way to go about it

[2:49:02 PM] Ymo/Ymedron: (same here, but if a concept is designed for combat then eh.)

[2:49:14 PM] Demi Devimon: one charge per crystal and they stay base no bonus power from Stats

[2:49:16 PM] Ymo/Ymedron: (it'd be more interesting to hear what kind of clever trickery you could pull)

[2:49:49 PM] Ymo/Ymedron: So they're reusable but require a charge? Where does one get the charge?

[2:50:09 PM] Demi Devimon: a spell caster would ahve to charge it for them

[2:50:31 PM] Demi Devimon: and a Crysalcrafter would have to make it (the Spell Crystal)

[2:50:39 PM] Ymo/Ymedron: I sees.

[2:50:46 PM] Ymo/Ymedron: That's starting to sound more feasible.

[2:50:47 PM] Demi Devimon: i like that word "CrystalCrafter"

[2:51:02 PM] The Arcanian: i like the idea of magic tools that can be used in clever ways (or blunt ways) to cause harm,
blades were originally a tool until we realized we could cut each other

[2:51:06 PM] Ymo/Ymedron: kind of like utility magic for people who can't be arsed to learn.
or mages who want to have tricks up their sleeves.

[2:55:06 PM] The Arcanian: so to fuse demi and my ideas: a fire crystal that can be set to a normal reaction for the purpose of heating (like a forge or something), then people figure out that they can make it react faster for something more akin to a generic fire spell (maybe by chipping the crystal in some manner?), or could be thrown/shattered for a bomb like effect.
[3:03:43 PM] Ymo/Ymedron: My thoughts on craft level and item quality etc

-amount of spell charge

-power of spell (spells themselves could be divided into categories, so you couldn't put say,
giant explosion volcano satan spell into a tiny crappy gem or it'd break)

-durability

-usability of spells (maybe a chipped or a poorly crafted gem wouldn't allow you to do stuff like release the power slowly,
or it'd be unevenly distributed [kinda like a heat crystal that occasionally goes lukewarm and occasionally scalding hot])
15.jpg

Comments

• DemidevimonDemidevimon REGISTERED Posts: 19 Seed
    yes, magic users and those to use magic crystals would be an interesting distinction, then you get magic uses that use their own magic magic crystals, the meta it real
    [3:09:10 PM] Demi Devimon: also just so we get a nice scale of things a spell crystal that can change the weather would need to be about the size of a tree
    [3:09:52 PM] The Arcanian: or a big bolder/small mountain
    [3:10:02 PM] Demi Devimon: and war spells are BIG NO NOES for crystals
    [3:10:15 PM] Demi Devimon: to much strain on the crystal
    [3:10:25 PM] Ymo/Ymedron: i can already imagine the Supercrystal Conduit building
    [3:10:37 PM] Ymo/Ymedron: It's got a giant crystal in the middle and ten small ones in a circle
    [3:10:47 PM] Ymo/Ymedron: all channeling power for the Ultimate L33t doomhax spell
    [3:10:58 PM] The Arcanian: make an entire castle out of crystals, be untouchable
    [3:10:58 PM] Ymo/Ymedron: a spell that is impossible to perform without dying
    [3:11:01 PM] Demi Devimon: like i said warspells are no noes
    [3:11:09 PM] Ymo/Ymedron: as it requires so much power
    [3:11:29 PM] Ymo/Ymedron: THE ULTIMATE LEET DOOMHAX SPELL DOES NOT LISTEN TO THE FOOLISH PLEAS OF LOGIC AND BALANCE
    [3:11:41 PM] Demi Devimon: *crack*
    [3:13:41 PM | Edited 3:13:59 PM] The Arcanian: id say war spells (big powerful spells like a flame pillar in the middle of a battlefield right?) could not be held in a crystal but might need to be channeled through one
    15.jpg
    shameless self bump
    15.jpg
  • WingidonWingidon REGISTERED Posts: 1,128 Seed
    Necroforumancy on yourself? Are you a forums lich?
    I sexually identify as a set of knight full plate armor. I hope you can accept me the way I am; otherwise, check your armor privileges.
  • WingidonWingidon REGISTERED Posts: 1,128 Seed
    Otherwise, interesting chattery here. I guess staves could be a development of this kind of magic usage.
    I sexually identify as a set of knight full plate armor. I hope you can accept me the way I am; otherwise, check your armor privileges.
    woot someone out of all the 200 some odd viewers actually post a reply XD
    only took a year .
    but yeah it was and still is a really interesting idea
    Wingidon said:

Necroforumancy on yourself? Are you a forums lich?

and no im a Demi the Reanimater
    15.jpg
  • CyanideSprinklesCyanideSprinkles REGISTERED Posts: 1 Podling
    I just got back on today, A lot has changed I see. The Crystals seem like a grand idea and i like their Utility purposes. "I'm black smithing and I see wildlife approach. The weapon I am currently forging is in no way battle-ready. So I grab my trusty SearingCrystal which has kept me warm and my furnace hot to defend myself and or maybe scare away the predator."