TUG inspired stone texture

Youngy798Youngy798 REGISTERED Posts: 905 Seed
edited September 2014 in Fan Art
I made this quick stone texture, its not tileable but it looks nice (imo). Enjoy :)

oGfmT7el.png
Hello there! I am Youngy future owner of Plainhold (hopefully), go read the topic about Plainhold, and the Lemurian Empire, maybe also some of my other posts, like my mining suggestions! :)

Bye!

Comments

• glitch2210glitch2210 REGISTERED Posts: 311
    oh that really cool, what did you make it in?

tumblr_nagb0tpdL61tji1iso1_500.png
  • Youngy798Youngy798 REGISTERED Posts: 905 Seed
    In gimp, it has a really nice tool which allows you to make selections in shapes, its not great for smooth shapes, but for sharp edged shapes it works very well :D

G919j2Xl.png

I also made this wood one as well, although its not as good :D

py4GLHem.png
    Hello there! I am Youngy future owner of Plainhold (hopefully), go read the topic about Plainhold, and the Lemurian Empire, maybe also some of my other posts, like my mining suggestions! :)

Bye!
    i really like the art style you are making!

its very reminiscent to the old art direction that TUG had.

It was mean't to be :D I liked it too, I wanted to try and make some textures based on it. I wont be making it into a texture pack, there are wayyyy too many textures to make. Minecraft texture packs are a pain in the ass and they have much less to make.. and TUG is only in alpha. I can't imagine how anyone is going to ever finish a texture pack with so many assets in.
    I might end up making some textures here are there, tall grass would be easy to make. I will never get around to doing the entire game in this style (although I would love to) to little time for too much work. Also making textures for complex models like the trees would be fairly difficult, seams are harder to hide with this kind of texture.

Bye!
    Youngy798 wrote:
    It was mean't to be :D I liked it too, I wanted to try and make some textures based on it. I wont be making it into a texture pack, there are wayyyy too many textures to make. Minecraft texture packs are a pain in the ass and they have much less to make.. and TUG is only in alpha. I can't imagine how anyone is going to ever finish a texture pack with so many assets in.
    I might end up making some textures here are there, tall grass would be easy to make. I will never get around to doing the entire game in this style (although I would love to) to little time for too much work. Also making textures for complex models like the trees would be fairly difficult, seams are harder to hide with this kind of texture.

That's true xD i have prolly sunk a few dozen hours into my Little Green Texture pack and that's just going through and recoloring the existing textures! to make new assets for all of them would be difficult tho there are a lot less then you would think since a tone of the assets are simply recolored versions of each other.

Yeah, there are still quite a few though :D You could probably get a way with quite a few re-colours on stuff like wood, dirt, grass etc. Now you are making me consider starting this, god help my A levels, if I keep looking at TUG stuff I wont get any homework done :P

Bye!
    Hm.. I am kind of considering starting this. Although I usually start things and never finish them.. so yeah :)

I might try making a retexture of the stone sword, that seems fairly simple to do, lots of flat areas :)

Bye!
    Youngy798 wrote:
    Hm.. I am kind of considering starting this. Although I usually start things and never finish them.. so yeah :)

I might try making a retexture of the stone sword, that seems fairly simple to do, lots of flat areas :)

If you want to make sure you keep things proportional you could pull the asset file so you can make sure the size is approximate.

Yeah, I am just going to open the model in max and render a clean UV map of it.

Bye!
    I started working on a retexture, colours seems fine, now on to the details. I am going to have to add in some scratches and dents to get some detail in. Atleast I done have to handle normal maps :D

EnEnobql.png

Bye!
    (seriously they need to add a like button to posts)

*Like*

The annoying thing is, the texture looks decent so far in the image editor, but NK's UV map is a bit squished so the texture on the blade gets stretched. It makes it look worse :/

Here is the texture so far:

sRu838ml.png

Ill finish it, it might look better in the game, max always seems to make objects look worse in the viewport.

Bye!
    Here is the model with the texture applied:

VVeXEqel.png

You can see some of the stretching, but I think it looks good enough :)

Bye!
    Working on those wood textures :)

SMzQe37l.png

Got to start working on the vines and finish up the wood, then I can release it. It would look so much better with brighter lighting, if NK allows us to control the intensity of sun light, I will definitely turn it up in this mod :)

Bye!
    A fancy shot of the progress. I need to stop taking pics :D

YR9jyNq.png

Bye!
    oh i like that

Ok I finally finished it. Only took a few hours :)

The model looks so much better without shading, I don't think that effect is possible in game, it looks fine though. I need to try getting it into a mod now. Then I will probably work on some other textures or something. Hopefully I can make some cartoony textures to bring the kickstarter feeling back to TUG :D

Finished model:

bMiIY4o.png

Finished texture sheet:

F5OXfUW.png

and.. a 3d online view of the model, pan, zoom etc do whatever.

https://skfb.ly/B6AU

Bye!
    nice, what dose it look like in game?

I don't know, haven't tried it yet. I need to work out how to do it

Bye!
    Added a tiling texture for the cobblestone, I remade it completely to be able to be used in TUG. Not sure if it looks as good as the old one, oh well :D

RK4avt0l.png

Here it is in Minecraft, simply because it was the quickest way to get it in a game :D

4Y1Vorel.png

Doesn't look as good when it goes blurry on the edges :/

More coming soon, I am going to making the wood texture tileable next :)

Bye!
    Youngy798 wrote:
    Added a tiling texture for the cobblestone, I remade it completely to be able to be used in TUG. Not sure if it looks as good as the old one, oh well :D

RK4avt0l.png

Here it is in Minecraft, simply because it was the quickest way to get it in a game :D

4Y1Vorel.png

Doesn't look as good when it goes blurry on the edges :/

More coming soon, I am going to making the wood texture tileable next :)

that looks awesome!

• ZekloZeklo REGISTERED Posts: 344 Seed
    Really like the cartoon-y-ness of it. Hope texture packs become a thing.
    "All things must come to an end." "I am but one of many." "Why? Why not!"
  • PamcakesPamcakes REGISTERED, Moderator Posts: 738 Seed
    Do it! I love texture packs like these.
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
    Tried normal mapping this model, turns out that it looks quite effective in this style.

The normal map:

SXZSZ1tl.jpg

Screenshots:

oN7sxw1l.png

eZBpE3P.png

Bye!
    Normal map on cobblestone texture:

pz6Cag0l.png

Bye!