black rock in the game files

Youngy798Youngy798 REGISTERED Posts: 905 Seed
edited September 2014 in Lore & Theories
I was looking through the files trying to find the wood textures and I found this interesting object:

KGZkUU9.png

I believe this was in the harvestables folder, not the rocks. Maybe its some form of crystal? I don't think the texture seems finished, so maybe its something they are still working on, or was just never added.

Anyone have any theories on what this might be used for? :D
Hello there! I am Youngy future owner of Plainhold (hopefully), go read the topic about Plainhold, and the Lemurian Empire, maybe also some of my other posts, like my mining suggestions! :)

Bye!

Comments

• TestamentofTestamentof REGISTERED Posts: 1,234 Seed
    That's actually an old asset, that disappeared (I think) for a bit.
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
  • Youngy798Youngy798 REGISTERED Posts: 905 Seed
    Ah ok, do you know if it was used for anything? It seems very out of place with the other items. I would assume its for part of another world
    Hello there! I am Youngy future owner of Plainhold (hopefully), go read the topic about Plainhold, and the Lemurian Empire, maybe also some of my other posts, like my mining suggestions! :)

Bye!
  • ValidifyedValidifyed REGISTERED Posts: 612 Seed
    The texture does seem to have a slightly older look to it (Not the more cel shaded style that is in TUG atm)
  • Ashen44Ashen44 REGISTERED Posts: 207 Seed
    maybe you're all mistaken. maybe, I might be crazy, but just maybe…
    IT'S A CLOUD OMG LIEK WUT NO WAY
    The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The optimist sees it half full. The engineer sees the glass as twice as big as it needs to be.
  • glitch2210glitch2210 REGISTERED Posts: 311
    lol yea i remember coming across this when i was working on little Green and thought it was oddly placed in the folders.

also if you are still looking for the wood texture, the blocks are all in the materials folder.

tumblr_nagb0tpdL61tji1iso1_500.png
  • SigilSigil REGISTERED, Developers Posts: 678 Developer
    Here's a theory: Maybe it's involved in crafting an alchemy table. The stump and rock versions both have that same purple glow.
  • Youngy798Youngy798 REGISTERED Posts: 905 Seed
    Maybe, It would be awesome if this was some kind of rock which emitted energy. Would be cool if it was some kind of obsidian boulder which contained crystals

Bye!
    Youngy798 wrote:
    Ah ok, do you know if it was used for anything?

not it was not, as at the time crafting wasn't a thing.
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
  • AmonostAmonost REGISTERED Posts: 111 Seed
    I remember seeing those in the Pine Forest Biome during the first iteration we could walk around in.
    Latter they were moved to underground mountain caverns.

I think they might be connected to darker magics.
    6.jpg
  • ZekloZeklo REGISTERED Posts: 344 Seed
    Amonost wrote:
    I think they might be connected to darker magics.
    Purple & black crystal? Fair assumption. This may prove rather interesting.
    "All things must come to an end." "I am but one of many." "Why? Why not!"
    that could be cool, i mean even if they arent being used for anything atm there still there so might as well use them in something =)

Not like it has an outdated art style or any... oh wait.
    Validifyed wrote:
    Not like it has an outdated art style or any... oh wait.

I like its art style =p

Its alright I guess, but it needs to be cleaned up, its style is more hand shaded while TUG is more levels shaded at the moment - also the model seems slightly low poly to me?
    Validifyed wrote:
    Its alright I guess, but it needs to be cleaned up, its style is more hand shaded while TUG is more levels shaded at the moment - also the model seems slightly low poly to me?

that is true it definitely is a bit lower res

• PamcakesPamcakes REGISTERED, Moderator Posts: 738 Seed
    Yeah, the old style where this rock is from was cell shaded, like wind waker. They're going for a more painterly look now. I just wish it was brighter like the old style D:
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
    Pamcakes wrote:
    Yeah, the old style where this rock is from was cell shaded, like wind waker. They're going for a more painterly look now. I just wish it was brighter like the old style D:

so do i =D thats why i made Little Green hehe to be cheery

The shaders in the game are lacking a bit atm, hopefully when the HLSL API support gets added in we will get some ENB like mods to play around with the way the game looks and feels, and break our computers with insane post process graphics :P
    Validifyed wrote:
    The shaders in the game are lacking a bit atm, hopefully when the HLSL API support gets added in we will get some ENB like mods to play around with the way the game looks and feels, and break our computers with insane post process graphics :P

That sure is a lot of letters arranged in what i assume is a fairly impressive sentence to those who know what they mean =p lol

lol - ...Most gamers understand what that stuff is... right? :P
    Validifyed wrote:

maybe? *shrugs*

• PamcakesPamcakes REGISTERED, Moderator Posts: 738 Seed
    Validifyed wrote:
    Unless you're also a programmer, then no. But I understand some of it. I just don't know what ENB is and I am too lazy to look it uuuuuup.
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
    Pamcakes wrote:
    Validifyed wrote:
    Unless you're also a programmer, then no. But I understand some of it. I just don't know what ENB is and I am too lazy to look it uuuuuup.

well i am a programmer too technically, i just hate acronyms lol

ENB is an acronym used by a modder who has made graphic enhancement mods for games like Fallout and The Elder Scrolls. I think it means Essential Natural Beauty, but I'm not 100% on that.
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
  • Ashen44Ashen44 REGISTERED Posts: 207 Seed
    Validifyed wrote:

the only acronym I understood there was API, and I don't even know what API stands for.
    The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The optimist sees it half full. The engineer sees the glass as twice as big as it needs to be.
    Ashen44 wrote:
    Validifyed wrote:

the only acronym I understood there was API, and I don't even know what API stands for.

Application Programming Interface, An Interface (Functions) that a user can call to interface with a program. eg.. void glutInitWindowPosition(x, y); - which interacts with the Glut application to "Ask" it to position a window for you. If you where interested :P