0.6.4 Alpha Patch Notes

Auti0Auti0 REGISTERED Posts: 277
edited September 2014 in News & Updates
[strike]Note: Steam is update, but the launcher in not currently. We ran into a snag and are trying to get it updated as soon as possible.[/strike]

The build is now updated everywhere.

Patch Alpha 0.6.4 is here, and now you finally have something to run and hide from, in game. Something that isn’t so bright, but it’s a start. We have a few really neat systems that have come online and its another step towards this big tech demo, actually becoming a game. As per usual, lots of borked stuff, so your feedback is ALWAYS needed to help us squash dem bugs.

New terrain gen is just trailing behind and will make it into an update VERY soon. As mentioned in a previous post, we are going to open up a second branch of ALL the things we work on, as we work on them, so content will be more frequently shown on that “InDev” branch. Play this branch at your own risk, its possible to splode… but its at the risk of seeing all the pretty new terrain and content on almost a weekly basis before it gets pushed to the main branch.

As usual, send all complaints to @BrennanPriest42 , Why No multiplayer, bro, harass @camfergusondfw and all compliments and virtual high fives to me, @inoritewtf and follow all our stuffs, in general @nerdkingdom

*high five*

Patch Notes:

Art
- Powdered apothecary reagents
- Saber Cat predator
- Hollowed Pumpkin Shell
- Pumpkin Cauldron
- Gourd Shell
- Gourd Flask
- Multiple potions can be created using the Gourd Flask
- General animation tweaks

Design
- Added labels to all objects
- Objects now have a durability and deliver differing durability damages per tool
- The flat rock at the campfire can be used to grind ingredients into powders and used in potion recipes
- Apothecary system now available with 5 different potion recipes
- Tools can be broken down to reclaim resources
- Wild alchemy tables allow for basic conversion of some resources
- Eating fruit produces seeds; seeds can also still be created at the workbench
- Adjusted the drop rates for trees and rocks
- Drops from harvesting objects stack and report back the number of items in a stack

Code
- Enabled tool tips for inventory items, can be toggled on/off from the options menu
- Integrated CEGUI; Reimplemented the main menu using CEGUI
- Implemented fall damage for controllers
- Crafting and recipe system has been revamped for more control
- More game data and logic has been moved into Lua
- Restructed game data directories for easier mod support
- Added basic mod support and selection through a text file under /configs
- Minor Optimizations
- Increased stability significantly
- Improved jump sequence
- Tweaked the logic behind spear throwing
- Integrate Lua Debugger
- Implement Debug Console for Mod Development
- Fixed and expanded the Input menu
- Disabled particle-based clouds by default. They were causing too many rendering issues.

Known Issues
- Proving Grounds has been temporarily disabled.
- Multiplayer has been temporarily disabled while we revamp that whole system.
- Fruits have durability bars
- Some fruit bearing plants are over-producing fruit and not properly despawning “old” fruit
- Spears stuck (and not dropped) in the world aren’t saving properly
- Cats and Goats love to get stuck on the terrain and other objects.
- The location to harvest Cat and Goat bodies tend to be slightly lower near their feet
- Can place items (right click or Q) through voxels if you are too close to the voxel.
- When (right-click) placing a Vine Fence, it places inside of the player.
- The game can crash on exit.
- Weapon/Tools placed in the environment return to full durability between game sessions
- When digging voxels, sometimes their collision will remain there.
- Curved (partial-voxel) surfaces cannot be destroyed at certain angles.
- Sometimes grass billboards can pop out of seemingly fully tilled dirt. This is due to an error with the blending; tilling each area around that billboard should remove the grass.
- 3rd Person camera not fully functional; interactions are not working correctly; use only for viewing the seed.
- The sprint key (Left Shift) cannot be rebound.
- Can’t bind the Mouse 4 and Mouse 5 buttons
- The main menu has some placeholder text
- Sometimes when resuming the game, the death sound will play
- Cats and Goats don’t save

Comments

• pure7angelpure7angel REGISTERED Posts: 22 Seed
    Hi a few of us are having trouble with getting the update, we got the game when it was first released, and the update isn't showing up on either of our launchers, and we forced update it a few times, i even tried re-downloading it, and still didn't work.
    Don't Waste Life
  • Auti0Auti0 REGISTERED Posts: 277
    Auti0 wrote:
    Note: Steam is update, but the launcher in not currently. We ran into a snag and are trying to get it updated as soon as possible.

This is what this note at the top was referring to. We are trying to resolve it as quickly as possible. I'm sorry for the delay.
    ok thank you, sorry, didn't see that note lol, umm another question, is there any way of me getting a steam key for this game, so i can get the necessary updates since i purchased it when it first came out?
    Don't Waste Life
  • CobellCobell REGISTERED, GLOBAL_MODERATORS, ADMINISTRATORS, Developers Posts: 84 Developer
    pure7angel wrote:
    ok thank you, sorry, didn't see that note lol, umm another question, is there any way of me getting a steam key for this game, so i can get the necessary updates since i purchased it when it first came out?

Kickstarter backers also got a Steam key. Check whatever email you used when you first backed the game. If you can't find it, send that info through our support system (the "Help" tab on the right of our webpage or email [email protected]
    ya i cant find it, i'm gonna have to send an email. thanks
    Don't Waste Life
  • Sorrox BluefieldSorrox Bluefield REGISTERED Posts: 70
    Another Grate job again guys its running love it i see random rune stones but have not found out how to use yet but one day i will xD but well i have not in counter the new mob yet is his spawn rate low? and speaking of spawn rate i think its harder to find the knife blade but i only have one thin really that i think needs to be tweaked a bit its the durability of the tools i think there to low or is this why we need to advance and use iron xD But again amzing job guys so far no crashed or bugs on my end
  • Sorrox BluefieldSorrox Bluefield REGISTERED Posts: 70
    oh found a bug xD lawww so i jumped off a mountain just to say goodbye to the old world generator and say hello to the new improved one when that comes out and cant wait to see how big the mountains are right when i died the game crashes. so far that's it oh and i found a cat i was victorious ahaha well i had a stone sword but anyways everyone just dont died and you wont crash
  • RinRin REGISTERED Posts: 668 Seed
    i would like to mention that the launcher is now downloading. at least for mine it is.

edit: it was just allowing me to re-download 6.3.
    Warthunder, TUG and world of tanks fan/beta tester.
    member of The Lemurian empire and the Merchants guild
    Soon to be alchemist/apothecary in TUG
    20.jpg
  • mercormercor REGISTERED Posts: 64 Seed
    edited August 2014
    Cool stuff coming with this update.

Especially CEGUI sounds like an interesting choice for UI. Have to check that one out, what its like and what it can do.

I must confess, I was secretly hoping for scaleform or some html5 stuff to be implemented for UI. But then again, scaleform license doesn't really allow modding, so it wouldn't have fitted for modding anyway.

Btw, related to CEGUI, as it seems to allow tooltips on hover, those would be quite handy in the options screen. I have absolutely no idea what 'Bloom enabled' means. (Googled it). Tooltip or some other way of giving more information about specific options would be really helpful.

Couple of bugs I ran into:

1) I am getting a crash when I'm trying to dig a dead goat from the ground in desert biome. In other words, I try to find the dead goat's hit box, but hit only sand, and after doing this for a while to get the half buried goat fully visible, the game crashes. Happened multiple times. What can I say, I like to do goat excavations.

2) Came across an empty (black) texture in desert/canyon biome. But as the build is using the old terrain engine, i guess its probably not that big of a bug anymore.

3) After loading a world, the seed fell threw the terrain. My guess is the terrain hadn't managed to yet load at that point. I had been playing a different world before I loaded the world and this happened. I've only managed to get this happen that one time. Although, that specific world save now always loads below terrain and the seed dies again and again. [edit 2:] Happened also when creating a new world with world seed: rtegd123.

Related to this, I tried to check the location for the missing texture, but I have no idea how to open the debug console anymore. Is the debug console still there in 0.6.4? Currently hitting F2 does nothing. I was just wondering as its mentioned in the patch notes, but the wording is a bit vague.

On the awesome side of things, *so far*, I haven't managed to come across the land generation bug. Yay! So it might have been fixed. Anyone else still getting it?

[edit 1: added bug #3]
    Modder in making. Point of Interest mod - Now with GUI

twitter: @mercorinred
  • Red AgliatorRed Agliator REGISTERED Posts: 307 Seed
    mercor wrote:
    While I'm not a mod, or even a forum expert, I'll make the suggestion that you put a copy of your bugs list into the Alpha Forum > Bugs subsection. Not everybody will think to look here when they're looking for known bugs.
  • mercormercor REGISTERED Posts: 64 Seed
    mercor wrote:
    While I'm not a mod, or even a forum expert, I'll make the suggestion that you put a copy of your bugs list into the Alpha Forum > Bugs subsection. Not everybody will think to look here when they're looking for known bugs.

Good point, I will post the bugs in that section as well.

I'm still bit lost with the different forum sections, to be honest.

Mainly I thought of mentioning the bugs here, as starting post has the list of known bugs in this patch.
    Modder in making. Point of Interest mod - Now with GUI

twitter: @mercorinred
    Auti0 wrote:
    We are going to open up a second branch of ALL the things we work on, as we work on them, so content will be more frequently shown on that “InDev” branch. Play this branch at your own risk, its possible to splode… but its at the risk of seeing all the pretty new terrain and content on almost a weekly basis before it gets pushed to the main branch.
    Will the InDev version be available via the Steam interface? Or just through some other 'launcher' app?

Once InDev is available, please post instructions for where to download, click, etc. for those of us that are new. Thanks!
  • Youngy798Youngy798 REGISTERED Posts: 905 Seed
    it is already avaliable :D Just to go steam, right click on TUG, click the beta tab and opt in :D you can switch back by doing the same thing
    Hello there! I am Youngy future owner of Plainhold (hopefully), go read the topic about Plainhold, and the Lemurian Empire, maybe also some of my other posts, like my mining suggestions! :)

Bye!
    Youngy798 wrote:
    it is already avaliable :D Just to go steam, right click on TUG, click the beta tab and opt in :D you can switch back by doing the same thing
    I'm so glad I asked. Thanks! *puts on her pith helmet and prepares for an expedition*
  • geodesikgeodesik REGISTERED Posts: 1
    Hello! First of all, Thanks for TUG and the amazing work done until now.

I got my alpha and I can play through steam without issues. But I can't launch the [inDev] branch.

Steam tells me that can't launch the game, simply that error.

I tried the workarounds proposed by Steam but I can't taste the inDev.

I can't even find a log to see what happens.

PS: Sorry for my english :P
    PS2: I have an intel i7, 8gb ram and a nvidia gt630. ( win7 )
  • Auti0Auti0 REGISTERED Posts: 277
    For users using the NK Launcher the build has been updated. I apologize for the delay in getting the update out.
  • glitch2210glitch2210 REGISTERED Posts: 311
    Auti0 wrote:
    For users using the NK Launcher the build has been updated. I apologize for the delay in getting the update out.

Yay! cant wait to mess with it some more =p

tumblr_nagb0tpdL61tji1iso1_500.png