Learning How to Craft

2»

Comments

• glitch2210glitch2210 REGISTERED Posts: 311
    Youngy798 wrote:
    modding is both a good and bad thing. It lets us add new stuff, but it also takes away some of the value of the stuff already in the game. I guess people are just going to make youtube videos anyways :D

i prefer to see it as expanding on what we already have, not diminishing it. after all progress is always achieved by expanding on what is already here. you don't think any less of your old equipment when you move on from it.

tumblr_nagb0tpdL61tji1iso1_500.png
  • ValidifyedValidifyed REGISTERED Posts: 612 Seed
    glitch2210 wrote:
    Youngy798 wrote:
    modding is both a good and bad thing. It lets us add new stuff, but it also takes away some of the value of the stuff already in the game. I guess people are just going to make youtube videos anyways :D

i prefer to see it as expanding on what we already have, not diminishing it. after all progress is always achieved by expanding on what is already here. you don't think any less of your old equipment when you move on from it.

Actually I kind of do... -throws old computer in tip- ... I see your point though xD
  • ElfElf REGISTERED Posts: 72 Seed
    glitch2210 wrote:
    that is fine then. it could simply be that vanilla content becomes universally known and we end up relying on mods for the mysteries of servers.

Hmmm, it could be that we convince Tyrax to have only the most basic information on the wiki, like Crude tools plus whatever comes next, and the method of crafting from crude to the next level, and then say: "this is how it works, TUG is a game of discovery, go and learn!" or something like that.

No.

I mean, yes, it is possible to convince Tyrax to only have basic info on the wiki... in which case, I will start a Wikia.com wiki myself and put in all the info I can find.

People who want to discover the details through play will do so. People who want to know everything in advance are not taking anything away from them. People who want to discover through play, up until they hit a point of frustration that is "I am going to QUIT if someone doesn't tell me how this works!"... are who wikis are made for.

The line between "challenging" and "game-quittingly frustrating" is not a point that can be identified from the outside. Many aspects of this game are not intuitive, especially for people coming in without existing knowledge of Minecraft and the other games it was inspired by. Having an official policy of "we force players to stumble around and flail until they happen upon the sequence of actions that do what they want" is a bad idea, especially for an MMORPG that wants (or needs) a large number of active players.

Crafting is non-intuitive enough as it is. ("I will set this pole and vines and rock on the ground and wave my hands at it... POOF I have a shovel now. I will do it again... OOPS now I have a fence because I had more parts than I needed for the shovel, and a stack of 10 vines looks exactly like 1 vine.") Burning through valuable, hard-to-gather resources as they make mistakes is not going to be fun for a lot of people.

The wiki needs to be as complete as possible--OR there needs to be a solid in-game source of information, so players who get frustrated don't walk away and tell their friends, "don't buy that one; it's fun for an hour and then you keep getting killed by giant cats." Or, "it's fun for a weekend, what with the stone tools and all, but mining is impossible; there's no ore anywhere."

I understand the value of discovering things on your own; I also understand that everyone's threshold for fun vs frustrating is different. The wiki shouldn't cater to one playing style by rejecting information that those players don't want revealed to them.
  • ZakeZake REGISTERED Posts: 216 Seed
    I made a post suggesting a similar effect, but we came to a conclusion that a nice balance would be a single wiki with all information, but some of it hidden by spoiler tags.
    I think more than I say and say more than I do, but I do more than I used to and plan to continue.
    TUG modder (at least in the ounce of free time that occasionally flits by)
    Spoiler tags are awesome and a terrific way to convey "you get planks from chopping down
      " without saying "... and you need X many of them to make a cart" for those players who only want some info. I love spoiler tags, and want the wiki to develop a cohesive spoiler policy soon. (Probably won't actually put most recipes behind spoiler tags. I expect that all the current information available is non-spoilery.) But a policy of "the wiki won't have some info" just means that info will be hosted elsewhere, and players will choose the place with the most info for their game research. FWIW, Glitch (which I loved beyond reason) had some info they kept off the wiki--but Glitch had an active global chatroom; anyone who'd heard about a quest or achievement or recipe that wasn't in the wiki could ask, and someone would PM the answers. A game that's not going to actively encourage a strong inter-player social community will have, instead, a complete-as-possible wiki (or it will if it's successful). The whole point of game wikis is to give players the info they want; there is no way to set them up so that players are forced to discover some information by playing. Nor should there be; a sandbox game should encourage all kinds of playing styles, including "I wanna do all the research and know everything about the world before I start putting the pieces together."
  • TestamentofTestamentof REGISTERED Posts: 1,234 Seed
    I seriously think that Tchey's suggestion is an interesting and worthwhile suggestion for those who don't want to go on the wiki but need help getting started for crafting.
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
    You're right; that's a most excellent suggestion and would alleviate a lot of the worries about the wiki being too spoiler-ish. It'd allow enough of the basic info to stay in-game so the people looking for the wiki are definitely looking for spoilers, not just trying to figure out "where do I get a pick?" and getting caught up in reading a dozen articles about alchemy, mining for ore, and exactly what's in every biome.
2»