Learning How to Craft

naqadennaqaden REGISTERED Posts: 6
edited December 2014 in Challenges
Firstly, now that I know how to craft, I love it, but...

My issue was I'd never seen anything like TUG's crafting before. I didn't know where to begin. I enjoy discovering game elements myself so I avoided wikis / tutorials. I had not seen any TUG videos featuring crafting yet. The only clue I had was the craft hotkey in the Input settings.

I tried placing different arrangements of blocks together to resemble work benches or tables :| in the hopes of creating something I could interact with for a crafting UI. I tried interacting with a nearby steam vent to see if I could open a cooking UI. Eventually I considered crafting may not be implemented yet, and in looking for confirmation, I read how to do it :?

Comments

• Youngy798Youngy798 REGISTERED Posts: 905 Seed
    Its interesting, it has no UI.

You basically drop all the items in a big pile and press G to craft. For example, if you place a vine, a stick and a stone spire, you get a pickaxe.

There are a few videos on youtube, try watching some LP's :)
    Hello there! I am Youngy future owner of Plainhold (hopefully), go read the topic about Plainhold, and the Lemurian Empire, maybe also some of my other posts, like my mining suggestions! :)

Bye!
  • ZekloZeklo REGISTERED Posts: 344 Seed
    Youngy798 wrote:
    Its interesting, it has no UI.

You basically drop all the items in a big pile and press G to craft. For example, if you place a vine, a stick and a stone spire, you get a pickaxe.

There are a few videos on youtube, try watching some LP's :)
    He did state he knows how just found it difficult to figure out.

Hopefully they will add a little method to guide me in the future.
    "All things must come to an end." "I am but one of many." "Why? Why not!"
  • Red AgliatorRed Agliator REGISTERED Posts: 307 Seed
    I've know what you mean about liking to discover game elements yourself. For myself, I love references like wikis, but only after I've spent a week or more with the game on my own.

I've been trying to figure out a relatively spoiler-free way to get people started on the basic stuff, something that could be kept far away from a wiki or walkthrough so people don't accidentally see more than they want. I think I made a start on how to answer the: "Help, my hands are broken! I can't do anything!" problem with minimal spoilers. (Though suggestions are welcome.)

Any thoughts how to do the same thing for crafting? What is the minimum you would have wanted to know to get you thinking the right way to discover the rest? As you said, knowing the "G" command wasn't quite enough.

This may not be an issue in the long run. I know the devs are already thinking about how to put stuff in the game to lead people along, to teach them, so a 'get started' document might not be needed. But that seems unlikely to happen until at least the internal enginey stuff is settled.
  • glitch2210glitch2210 REGISTERED Posts: 311
    i think one of the problems people have is there still in the mindset of traditional games.

TUG seems to be striving for more intuitive natural interactions.

But people are still thinking of what is intuitive in the terms of a game not what would be intuitive in a world.

hopefully once you get into the right mindset in TUG everything else will continue to follow that same design so learning new in game systems will not be as difficult as the first.

tumblr_nagb0tpdL61tji1iso1_500.png
  • ValidifyedValidifyed REGISTERED Posts: 612 Seed
    edited August 2014
    glitch2210 wrote:
    i think one of the problems people have is there still in the mindset of traditional games.

TUG seems to be striving for more intuitive natural interactions.

But people are still thinking of what is intuitive in the terms of a game not what would be intuitive in a world.

hopefully once you get into the right mindset in TUG everything else will continue to follow that same design so learning new in game systems will not be as difficult as the first.

I disagree; TUG has attempted an extrapolation of crafting systems seen in games like Terraria and currently have been forced to have hardcoded recipes due to item divercity restrictions. A more realistic system would be to have any and all stones and sticks compatible and to remove the hardcoded nature of tool types. A flat blade and a long stick might make a decent hoe, shovel or spear, but would likely better serve as a shovel.
    I agree with Valid here. A lot of items could have multiple uses, but they dont. Sometimes trying to figure out how something goes together is hard, mainly because there are multiple ways which would make sense.
    Hello there! I am Youngy future owner of Plainhold (hopefully), go read the topic about Plainhold, and the Lemurian Empire, maybe also some of my other posts, like my mining suggestions! :)

Bye!
  • naqadennaqaden REGISTERED Posts: 6
    glitch2210 wrote:
    Yeah, I think this is what I got stuck on.
    Any thoughts how to do the same thing for crafting? What is the minimum you would have wanted to know to get you thinking the right way to discover the rest?
    I've been thinking a lot about this. I'd personally love to avoid in-game text telling me anything.

I think the perfect thing could be the main menu background. The current background shows me a Seed has thrown a spear at another Seed. This tells me PvP is possible, without interrupting my play or using text at all.

Similarly if the background showed a Seed standing before a pile of basic items with its hand over them, I might deduce he is crafting. It depends on the player and the artwork, but this level of subtlety would be ideal for me.
    I really like the art work idea. It can give u general impressions of the games structure without point blank telling u.

• Cedes BinzCedes Binz REGISTERED Posts: 2
    Mhhh, i want to know how to make the new Things in 0.6.4 :D

Someone can tell me where to learn?

Cedes
    Cedes Binz wrote:

Cedes

TUG, lol

it really is such a new patch i think it will be at least a few days before people start knowing how to craft all the things =)

Cedes Binz wrote:
    Here's a peek: TUG - Update Alpha 0.6.4: Predator, Apothecary, and Crafting Refinements!
    Cedes Binz wrote:

Cedes
    I don't know of a list of 'new recipes in 0.6.4'. (Yet.)

If you don't mind full spoilers, you can look at the game's crafting recipes file. (It'll show you all recipes, though, not just the new ones.)

On my computer, it's located at the default location:
    C:Program Files (x86)SteamSteamAppscommonTUGGameCoreDataCraftingCore_crafting.txt

The beginning of that path will be different for you if Steam downloads your apps/games to a directory other than the default.

________

Or if you found this thread, but just want the basics of crafting so you can experiment on your own: Make a pile of resources on the ground (or a special table/rock), then tap the G key. Start piling!

(There are some good videos on YouTube on getting started with TUG crafting. I can't find my link to Pamcake's video, but that's the one I used when I started.)
    The TUG wiki page on crafting has been updated with a complete list of v0.6.4 craftables. The list section is correct, the section with recipes is not.
  • TestamentofTestamentof REGISTERED Posts: 1,234 Seed
    How so?
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
    How so?
    ???
    this actually raises a good point tho, a lot of TUG is intended to be player discovered. that is the whole point of there not being an "official" wiki... but what is to prevent people just looking up the crafting list in the code on day one and spoiling it?

it seems its a bit difficult to make it complexity accessible to modders while maintaining an air of research and discovery in game.

glitch2210 wrote:
    what is to prevent people just looking up the crafting list in the code on day one and spoiling it?
    Players who go that far for answers shouldn't mind being spoiled. Players who want to discover naturally shouldn't look into files like that.

It does present a challenge. Speaking from experience, these two player types probably shouldn't play with each other :?
    naqaden wrote:
    glitch2210 wrote:
    what is to prevent people just looking up the crafting list in the code on day one and spoiling it?
    Players who go that far for answers shouldn't mind being spoiled. Players who want to discover naturally shouldn't look into files like that.

It does present a challenge. Speaking from experience, these two player types probably shouldn't play with each other :?

i was simply meaning how can you maintain balance on server since players who look things up will have a massive advantage.

• PamcakesPamcakes REGISTERED Posts: 738
    glitch2210 wrote:
    i was simply meaning how can you maintain balance on server since players who look things up will have a massive advantage.

You don't. This is just one of those things that can't and won't be helped. People who want to go ahead and know how to craft before they play will learn, those who don't, won't. I believe we'll be spread out enough to get a good head start anyway. Oh, and TUG will eventually have an official wiki, on the Curse forums.
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
    Pamcakes wrote:
    Oh, and TUG will eventually have an official wiki, on the Curse forums.

Wait what?
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
    Pamcakes wrote:

Wait what?

Right? Wasn't that what they were teaming up with Curse for? Or? Orrrr???

Edit: Nvm, I think it was just to host mods, derrrr, I need more sleep lately. Don't mind me!
  • spacedotspacedot REGISTERED Posts: 416 Seed
    Pamcakes wrote:
    Pamcakes wrote:

Wait what?

Right? Wasn't that what they were teaming up with Curse for? Or? Orrrr???

Edit: Nvm, I think it was just to host mods, derrrr, I need more sleep lately. Don't mind me!

After the curse deal happened ino posted on twitter about the wiki and asking who was running it. I would like to see the whether or not to have a wiki debate done before curse makes a official one and we lose all control or input in the matter.
    I'm trying to remember who it was, Unfortunately I can only remember that the fact is plastered all over their signature.

It was Tyrx (and maybe someone else) according to Pam.
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
    Here's the information I have:

From my time spent poking at the wiki, Tyrx seems to be the one managing the hardware and software. (And I imagine got the content ball rolling.) Since I've been there (a month or so), there have been three repeat contributors (offenders, lol?): "TheRmbomo", "Anon the Third", and me.

I'm going to start a different thread (or threads) about this wiki thing. I have some questions for you all.
    Yeah, Tyrax is the one running the Wiki. Unfortunately, he isn't active. Like at all.
    that is fine then. it could simply be that vanilla content becomes universally known and we end up relying on mods for the mysteries of servers.

Pamcakes wrote:
    Yeah, Tyrax is the one running the Wiki. Unfortunately, he isn't active. Like at all.
    Well, a tiny bit. He's been installing some wiki extensions when requested. Your point still stands, just saying that he's not quite dead yet.

(Really, I didn't nail him to his perch.)
    glitch2210 wrote:
    that is fine then. it could simply be that vanilla content becomes universally known and we end up relying on mods for the mysteries of servers.

Hmmm, it could be that we convince Tyrax to have only the most basic information on the wiki, like Crude tools plus whatever comes next, and the method of crafting from crude to the next level, and then say: "this is how it works, TUG is a game of discovery, go and learn!" or something like that.
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
    glitch2210 wrote:

Hmmm, it could be that we convince Tyrax to have only the most basic information on the wiki, like Crude tools plus whatever comes next, and the method of crafting from crude to the next level, and then say: "this is how it works, TUG is a game of discovery, go and learn!" or something like that.

ideally that would be how i would want to see it, however, with the access to the code im not sure how long it would be before the more advanced information would make it onto a wiki.

modding is both a good and bad thing. It lets us add new stuff, but it also takes away some of the value of the stuff already in the game. I guess people are just going to make youtube videos anyways :D

Bye!