HUB

glitch2210glitch2210 REGISTERED Posts: 311
edited January 2015 in In-game Social Organization
Its about time i remade my City Group on the new forums =)

i am doing this at work tho so im going to clean it up a bit when i get home and can spend some more time on the post.

So, as some of you may remember i am planning on creating a Hub city. my intent is for it to be a place where all the other social groups could have a presence in as sort of a neutral ground. it would also support a large market place for trade and different porting events =)

also as Neutral Ground (with the exception of on Embassy soil) foreign law dose not hold. so if you happen to be someone who partakes in the less then Legal feel free to congregate in HUB. there wont be any trade restrictions for black market goods. and of course due to the neutral nature of the city you need not fear direct apprehension (tho if your fool enough to let the law from another city follow you around until you leave that's on you).

additionally the practice and study of any outlawed skills will not be banned, so if you want to set up a satellite branch of your groups research facility to work unmolested on necromancy and the light (as well as potentially having easier and cheaper access to outlawed materials needed for them) HUB's your place.

as far as entertainment goes, im hoping that people would wish to build things like Taverns, Inns and Pubs. however, in addition to those i plan on having City Run facilities such as an Arena complex (for both lethal and non lethal gladiatorial matches. I also plan on constructing a Grand Circus for races and obstacle Course events (if you have ever Dead man wonderland, think the dog race). and i am sure as time goes on more facilities will be added =)

the Goal of HUB is simple, i want to create a place where people can come to do Business, be entertained, or simply live. its Neutral Ground so everyone is welcome and within the City outside laws and regulations do not hold. it is a "safe" place for anyone and everyone.

Rules:
These are the base "laws" of HUB, i am sure they will change over time and are meant to be as least intrusive as possible.

1. To apply for an embassy you need to agree to follow all subsequent Rules

2. No outside law has jurisdiction within the city of HUB and the lands directly surrounding it.

3. While fighting is not directly banned within HUB, it is encouraged that people take there fighting outside or to open spaces within the city. (both so that people wont get hurt to much in the cross fire and so that others will have a good view if they wanna watch)

4. Indiscriminate Murder is Frowned upon, and although i wont do anything about it i'm not going to do anything about it. i would not recommend it in a city full of people who would probably just kill you and sell your body to a necromancer if you started causing problems. (if you really want to fight sign up at the arena and kill to your hearts content, who knows maybe you will win some prize money.)

5. Trade can be conducted in 3 ways, you could Perches or Rent a shop, Rent a stall in the market, or direct player to player transactions. if you wish to use a stall or shop this can be arranged through HUB so you will be in the Register (or if you would prefer to stay out of the Register that can be arranged)

6. The City will be Subdivided into different Lots. these Lots will then be Zoned with different privileges and restrictions applied to the different Zoning types (more information about this will be added soon)

7. if needed those who maintain a presence within HUB may be required to uphold its neutrality. (i.e. don't try and take over)

ok so that is enough for now since i am still at work lol ill add more as things progress

tumblr_nagb0tpdL61tji1iso1_500.png

Comments

• mmaalex22112mmaalex22112 REGISTERED Posts: 171
    ......I can already feel the lack of order. 'Shudder'
    You and ReEvo will get along well.
    Or is it the order of order-less hmmmmm
    a1i938.jpg
  • TestamentofTestamentof REGISTERED Posts: 1,234 Seed
    Chaos will always triumph over order, it's better prepared.
    And If I have the ability to and he's not doing anything else, I'll make Re Evo the head of the HUB Chapterhouse, for the fun times!
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
  • glitch2210glitch2210 REGISTERED Posts: 311
    I would like it to turn out kind of like a mix of the UN and Las Vagas. (but like cool, not stupid)

so there will be parts that would be quite orderly (i plan on having a separate district for the more orderly Guilds and organizations.)

and in other parts it will be more like Chaos Put into a box. its still Chaotic but partially contained =) that's probably going to be the darker Guild Areas and the seedier parts of town. (lots of alleyways, lots and lots of alleyways xD )

OK, Here is what i am thinking about the zoning.

HUB is going to be divided into different blocks of land.
    at first these plots will probably just be given out to people who want to build on them (a sort of lease system)
    this is to encourage growth of the city.

however, to maintain some semblance of order to the city different plots will be zoned for different constructions.
    this of course is not really an issue since there is no up front cost to the plots. (we may eventually implement a small tax or something to maintain and improve the city, but i am hopeful we will have a high enough resource inflow from other sources to avoid this)

the primary restrictions placed onto the plots based on there zoning will be the height and depth restrictions.
    there will be a height restriction of several stories (probably about 10 blocks in height per stories) this is primarily to regulate the look of the city.

the depth restriction is to accommodate the implementation and expansion of public works projects and utilities. (such as water tunnels, and potentially power and subway lines.)

the only other real restriction that is from the zone would be the use of the plot. this is more for record keeping purposes as well as to keep track of what is where. (it also will probably effect the relative sizes of the different plots)

TYPES OF ZONES:

Residential plots:
    Residential plots will be the most numerous, they will be for player housing. residential plots will range from long sections designed for row housing, to individual plots.

the tentative restriction on these zones will be:
    Max height = 3 sotries
    Max Depth = 1 storie
    Typical size = small to moderate[/right][/right]

Economic plots:
    Economic Plots are the basis of trade. these plots are located in areas to encourage the creation of stores, inns, and taverns. the stalls housed in the Marketplace would fall as a special subsection of these zones.

Max height = 4 sotries
    Max Depth = 3 storie
    Typical size = moderate to large

the added head room is to accommodate the addition of living quarters above the shops, and the added depth is to allow for additional storage of goods.

Industrial plots:
    Industrial Plots are tailored less for individual use and more for company use, they will be located in a section of HUB specially designed for industrial purposes. it will most likely be on the outskirts of the city and form the industrial district. the Utility systems of this section will be engineered for the additional load and will provide larger quantities of things like water form canals. these plots will also be much larger then the residential and economic plots.

Max height = 10 sotries
    Max Depth = 10 storie
    Typical size = Large to Colossal

Embassy plots:
    The last zone type is the Embassy plot. i have left them for last due to the fundamental difference in how they are set up compared to the other zone types. Due to the sensitive nature of foreign powers, and HUB's intent to maintain a state of neutrality, foreign powers will be given special lands designated as Embassy Plots. these areas will be considered sovereign territory of those who posses them. so although one organizations laws will not have jurisdiction within HUB proper, while within the boundary of there Embassy you will be considered within there lands.

additionally special accommodations will be made to allow for the sensitive nature of embassies need for security. by this i mean they will have no depth restriction. an embassies influence runs from its borders to the center of TUG. this is primarily intended to protect against subterranean assault as well as to preempt jurisdiction issues that may arise in regards to utility projects.

Max height = 20 sotries
    Max Depth = NA
    Typical size = Large to Colossal

ok so that is what i have come up with so far regarding the zoning of HUB. as i stated above this is more a matter of record keeping and will most likely not effect what you build since there is a plot that would fit, it just adds a little structure to where things are going to be placed, at least initially.

This is still just the first draft so i would love input on what people thing. and if you have any questions please let me know. =D

Hmmm, unsure of where Ars would fit if we build a Chapterhouse, unless we could build such that we'd have an economy plot and an industrial plot right next to each other and bridge across them. Not going to ask for an Embassy plot because not a nation, just a Guild.
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
    You guys would probably just use the Embassy plot since its basically the top of the tiers. tho there is nothing to prevent you guys from setting up additional facilities.

• mmaalex22112mmaalex22112 REGISTERED Posts: 171
    Very interesting and well thought out. 1 question, would all the embassy plots be near each other? Also if I crime is commited inside embassy lands where would the embassy be able to try them? Once again good job.
    a1i938.jpg
    The embassy plots will most likely be split into small groupings.
    There would be atleast two so that Dark Guilds and Light Guilds (for lack of a better term) would be on oposite sides of the City. Theree would also most likely be a third section so that more Neutral orginizations would not be mixed in with the others. (tho depending on how these groups develop i am sure there will become some mixing.

Over all the City will most likely Develop different Districts some being much seedier (lol pun intended) while others are the nice parts of town. after all there will probably be a higher density of dark players near the dark Guilds and a higher density of light players near the light guilds. and since crowds have a level of autonomy the way the crowds would react to certain activity's would probably be much different depending on its make up.

(if you are seen to be stealing from someone its more likely others would intervene if they are "good" then if they are "not" using these terms for lack of a better definition ATM)

As far as Internal Embassy Politics that would be up to the individual Embassy. there May end up being a Court House for Rent or something( but much more likely you would hold your own trials within your embassy and either pass judgment there or transport the Prisoner back to your lands for processing.)

HUB will be taking a very hands off approach to what happens within the boarders of an embassy (as long as it dose not have an influence that reaches outside your designated boundary (no tapping into the water system and flooding the streets. )

GLITCH, DON'T GIVE RE EVO IDEAS!!!!!
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
    GLITCH, DON'T GIVE RE EVO IDEAS!!!!!

The reason i thought of this was because i was thinking while talking about the advanced mining thread how horrible it would be if someone dug a tunnel from a rider or lake into an enemy groups mine and flooded it.... im terrible!

im not so worried about people greefing HUB to bad since for the most part its just hurting themselves since its useful to them xD

but right, i should totally not say anything that might give the wrong people terrible ideas!... oh wait i guess the above might do that.... ok starting now no terrible advice... lol

• The-ancient-WarriorThe-ancient-Warrior REGISTERED Posts: 45
    looks like I'll be spending a lot of time in that city
    15.jpg
  • ZekloZeklo REGISTERED Posts: 344 Seed
    If there happen to be any wanted posters or jobs of that nature I may drop by.
    "All things must come to an end." "I am but one of many." "Why? Why not!"
    Zeklo wrote:
    If there happen to be any wanted posters or jobs of that nature I may drop by.

oh i am sure there will be. one of the reasons i want to create HUB is to give people neutral ground to meet for jobs like placing bounties and the like.

• ValidifyedValidifyed REGISTERED Posts: 612 Seed
    Ever thought having HUB as a major city district might be cool? Hint Hint - Angkor :P
    Validifyed wrote:
    Ever thought having HUB as a major city district might be cool? Hint Hint - Angkor :P

what do you mean by that?

Well, I might be wrong but it seems like HUB is more of a city structure/blueprint then a city in its own right as its main focus is on a structure of utilities. Running and planning the main public sector of a prexisting city might be benoficial as the initial touristic and political sides (including things like protection from the various law breakers) might allow you to focus more on the actual design of the HUB rather then the many other factors that might get in your way.

Angkor is planned to be on of the largest and busiest cities on the main servers with massive emphasis on being a center of trade and craft for the entire Empire along with Plainhold - it would seem to be smart to me to hand over the running of such a complex operation as running a city like Angkor to someone more dedicated to it, leaving the political head to run the larger Empire in a more of a top down manner.
    In effect Angkor would have the central political district, the living districts, and the HUB district - a setup that, is successful - could become a template for later citys within the Empire (In which your expertise in running it would be called upon)

This way you dont end up with two citys aiming for the same thing, fighting in a popularity contest.

If you accepted this you would have complete control over the HUB district and quite possibly be in charge of the people running the other districts. You would be appointed as Mayor if you chose to accept such a role, if you wish to focus more on the HUB you could instead opt to be a member of the city small council, either way you would be a member of the High Council within the empire, giving you a high level of authority within the empire and the right to vote on important political actions and laws - not to mension you would be be right the centre of the largest nation on the server.

Have a think about it, you dont have to decide right away and im happy to discuss and issues or concerns you might have.
    Validifyed wrote:
    Well, I might be wrong but it seems like HUB is more of a city structure/blueprint then a city in its own right as its main focus is on a structure of utilities. Running and planning the main public sector of a prexisting city might be benoficial as the initial touristic and political sides (including things like protection from the various law breakers) might allow you to focus more on the actual design of the HUB rather then the many other factors that might get in your way.

Angkor is planned to be on of the largest and busiest cities on the main servers with massive emphasis on being a center of trade and craft for the entire Empire along with Plainhold - it would seem to be smart to me to hand over the running of such a complex operation as running a city like Angkor to someone more dedicated to it, leaving the political head to run the larger Empire in a more of a top down manner.
    In effect Angkor would have the central political district, the living districts, and the HUB district - a setup that, is successful - could become a template for later citys within the Empire (In which your expertise in running it would be called upon)

This way you dont end up with two citys aiming for the same thing, fighting in a popularity contest.

If you accepted this you would have complete control over the HUB district and quite possibly be in charge of the people running the other districts. You would be appointed as Mayor if you chose to accept such a role, if you wish to focus more on the HUB you could instead opt to be a member of the city small council, either way you would be a member of the High Council within the empire, giving you a high level of authority within the empire and the right to vote on important political actions and laws - not to mension you would be be right the centre of the largest nation on the server.

Have a think about it, you dont have to decide right away and im happy to discuss and issues or concerns you might have.

while it is tempting the main thing that would have to be insured would be the neutrality of the HUB as well as the ways in and out of it. the main reason i set it up to initially be primarily a skeleton filled in by other organizations is so that it is neutral by designed. anyone can have a place in HUB regardless of there affiliations and alliances.

be making it as part of a city you would in effect bring it under that cities influence. even if held apart it would make things like darker guilds less likely to feel safe congregating there to do business.

you however, do raise a good point regarding the fact that HUB was always intended to have a larger satellite presence in addition to the main city. having HUB districts in cites we could maintain the larger network of entertainment facilities such as stadiums and arenas. as well as provide an area for other embassies.

additionally since i intend to put a lot of energy into the design of standardized utilities it may be another system better housed in a hub district, since by design it is not always the most high end areas.

Well as Angkor is meant to be the last line of defence, as in it remains peaceful through all wars unless we are pushed to the point where the city is the last stronghold of Lemuria, something I really dont see happening. But I see your point about political influences.

I do however like the idea of smaller hubs in cities that are connected to the main HUB and would welcome such a district and ask if you would have any issues with an Imperial trade highway connecting the HUB to the Lemurian trade network?
    Validifyed wrote:
    Well as Angkor is meant to be the last line of defence, as in it remains peaceful through all wars unless we are pushed to the point where the city is the last stronghold of Lemuria, something I really dont see happening. But I see your point about political influences.

I do however like the idea of smaller hubs in cities that are connected to the main HUB and would welcome such a district and ask if you would have any issues with an Imperial trade highway connecting the HUB to the Lemurian trade network?

on the contrary being connected to the highway system would be more then welcome. and seeing as you will be one of the centers of trade i see a great deal of gain, from having a HUB district present, for both of us.

• FlyingDebrisFlyingDebris REGISTERED Posts: 45 Seed
    b3f.gif

MULTIPLAYER IS UP AS OF YESTERDAY, TIME TO GET THIS THING ROLLING AGAIN!
    Happy hunting~