Mod - Useful Things - 1.0.5

nocarenocare REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 92 Seed
edited February 2015 in Custom Objects
So I saw a request for a mod which simply adds open containers. So I did just that.
Together with Arhiwolf providing some great art skills, You have access to 3 objects.

A bamboo Box/Bin
box_icon.png
A Bamboo Shelf
shelf_icon.png
A Wood box
wood_box_icon.png
A Bow
bow_icon.png
A Crossbow
crossbow_icon.png

Installation:
1. Download below.
2. Open the folder
3. Click, hold, and drag the folder "Game" into the main TUG directory. Its called "TUG" and is located in "Steam/steamapps/common/TUG" if you are using steam.
4. Move into the "config" directory
5. right click the file "mods.txt"
6. Open, with some text editor like notepad.
7. Add the following line to the top the text file:
"Game/Mods/arno/useful_things"
8. ^ For above include the quotation marks
9. Save, load up tug
10. Type this command
/spawn "Arrow"

Its very important for any mod paths to be above Creative, Survival, and Core.
I know installation is a bit lengthy, but do it once or twice and it will be easy.

Your mods.txt should look something like this:
mods.txt.png

You can explore and try to figure out the recipes, but I will list them here too.
Bamboo Box - 10 Bamboo Sticks and 4 Vines + Crafting Table/Stump/Rock
Bamboo Shelf - 3 Bamboo Sticks and 1 Vine + Crafting Table/Stump/Rock
Wood Box - 1 Chopped Log (Firewood) + Crafting Table/Stump/Rock
Bow - 1 Vine + 1 Bamboo Shaft/Wood Shaft
CrossBow - 1 Vine + 1 Bambo/Wood Shaft + 1 Chopped Log (Firewood)

Usage:
Fire the bow with left click.

Crafting and placing the objects is really straight forward. Picking them back up is not.
To place an object and have it behave as intended, right click the ground while holding it.

This will place the object on that spot of land as a locked object. You cannot retrieve it by left clicking.
You can unlock the object by right clicking it, which allows you to retrieve with left click.
While unlocked, you may right click to lock. There really isn't any visual cues at this time.

Merely dropping with Q will drop the item into the world in the unlocked state. So you can simply right click it to lock it. There are some times where you need to drop an item instead of place, so this is useful there.

This video demonstrates the feature:

My short overview of the mod:

Feel free to shoot me a message if you want your video here.

Demonstration of the bow:
Download:
Media Fire 1.0.5

Known Issues:
The wood box collision and placement is wonky.
The Bamboo Bin - If the player places it, causing the player to be slightly below it can launch the player out of the world.
Bow unintentionally can act as a teleportation device in 3rd person...
Sometimes when first installing, using the bow crashes the game.
To fix this simply use this command prior to firing the bow:
/spawn "Arrow"
The containers disappear when exiting tug? (priority)

Changes:
Updated as necessary for Tug 0.6.4

Added a crossbow. Its a bit stronger than the bow.
Tried to comment a lot of code in the mod to help people who are interested understand what's going on.

Added a Bow!

Updated crafting recipes to allow for use of Crude Stump and
Crude Rock in addition to the Crude Workbench

Bamboo shelf now uses torch code to place itself on the wall.

Initial release

Comments

• SigilSigil REGISTERED Posts: 678 Developer
    Very interesting way of dealing with furniture. I've been puzzling over that myself.
  • Youngy798Youngy798 REGISTERED Posts: 905 Seed
    If I get time tomorrow, I am going to make a showcase of this mod for my channel :D

Ill build a nice house environment and show it holding different materials and stuff.

youtube.com/TheUntitledMods
    Hello there! I am Youngy future owner of Plainhold (hopefully), go read the topic about Plainhold, and the Lemurian Empire, maybe also some of my other posts, like my mining suggestions! :)

Bye!
  • Red AgliatorRed Agliator REGISTERED Posts: 307 Seed
    Thanks for the containers! Time to set up my kitchen larder and my compost bins. :D

(Now if I can manage to not get lost until I've filled all my containers and taken a screenshot...)
    I couldn't get the mod to work, I copied all the files into the assets folder :/
    Hello there! I am Youngy future owner of Plainhold (hopefully), go read the topic about Plainhold, and the Lemurian Empire, maybe also some of my other posts, like my mining suggestions! :)

Bye!
  • nocarenocare REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 92 Seed
    Can you give me any more info than that?
    Ok, I got the zip file, I opened it, I dragged all the folders into the assets area, I merged the files when the messages came up. I also tried just putting the entire zip folder into the assets folder, that didn't work :/

Bye!
    Okay that sounds right. Can you describe to me how it isn't working?
    Is there any errors or crashes?

What happens when you go into game, hit enter, and type:
    /spawn "Bamboo Shelf"

I tried crafting it, nothing happened. I looked in the creative inv, nothing. I will try spawning it with the command

Bye!
    Update to 1.0.4
    Ahriwolf made a crossbow so I've added that.
    Apart from that, code is commented a lot better for those of you wanting to see how things work.

Also, did you ever have any luck Youngy798?
  • glitch2210glitch2210 REGISTERED Posts: 311
    i like the open container idea, its a really cool way of creating storage.

are you planning on making any more? maybe a barrel? *wink wink*

tumblr_nagb0tpdL61tji1iso1_500.png
    We've brainstormed many different objects from practical to aesthetic. There are issues with collision meshes on objects though. I haven't quite mastered how to make items not merely fall through yet.

As far as what type of containers people would like to see, we are all ears... or maybe its eyes :D
    Updated as necessary for Tug 0.6.4

Also added a (I think) pretty clear installation guide. Let me know if anyone has issues I haven't mentioned in the first post.

Enjoy! :)
  • ScriptsScripts REGISTERED, Developers Posts: 41 Developer
    Seems the crossbow gets destroyed when you fire an arrow at an object and it sticks. I think this is due to logic that's supposed to be applied to the arrow but instead it's going into the Crossbow.

0.6.4 added a slight bit of durability damage to the spear when it successfully stuck into the surface of a static object. (Also dealing a bit of damage to the object it hit)

Increasing the durability of the crossbow will prevent it from disappearing right away. I'm going to dig into the script files and see if there's a glaring oversight in the current TUG gameplay code :)

Awesome mod!
    Let's make something awesome together.

Follow me! @Scriptslol
    Thank :D

Oh really? I have specifically not encountered this.
    Both the crossbow and bow have durability, only because I haven't added any kind of ammo system in.
    Time to figure out how to work the new console and get some number output.
    Hey nocare, I was checking out your models and it seems that one of them is really high poly. Maybe you have a reason for this? I don't know.

For example:

I4oe1wn.png

the bottom also seems quite chaotic:

VpifU3Y.png

You could remove most the loops on the edge and still keep the same shape:

uUfT3fT.png

I just made a quick example to explain my points better:

For a shape like this, the loops going across the side aren't needed unless you want a curved shape.

ZwF0JRs.png

and for the bottom a technique like:

C3KYxD3.png

Keeps it simple and fairly low poly. All I done was make cuts going across it.

Sorry if this sounded a bit rude, I just noticed how many un-needed tris there were :) Good mod though.

Bye!
    That was like a 30 second model for development that I had issues with. Its not being used in the mod.
    Ah ok, fair enough :D I assumed it was in the mod and just not listed on the website. Ignore everything I said :P

Bye!
    Haha its cool. I just didn't have anything to work with and whipped that up. I can model but every time I do it, it's for some other purpose. The bamboo bin model was originally like 3k polygons before we worked to lower that haha.

Though that said, it looked much better than too haha.
  • TcheyTchey REGISTERED Posts: 17 Seed
    I don't want to break my save, so i didn't try : is it working with the last indev version from Steam ?

Are you planning to add more stuff like that ? It's usefull and decorative.

Is it going to be ingame without mod one day ?

Thanks.
    Custom terrain objects I create with the mod disappear since the last main update and I really got tired of working on it.

I can't say it will be in the main game ever. It really depends on how they decide to do storage. I just did this for fun.
  • DungchunkerDungchunker REGISTERED Posts: 70 Seed
    I downloaded the mod to take a look at Model Hirearchy and such so that i can start some models myself. I noticed that the Collider on the Bow model is reversed from the Bow's mesh on the Y axis when i opened it up in Blender. is there a reason for this that i should be aware of when making my own models? I didn't notice this to be the case on the cross bow or other models in the pack.
    Well, you can't make a smoothie with it!

Was having issues with arrows colliding with the bow itself.