Work in progress, magical Wisp sword

Youngy798Youngy798 REGISTERED Posts: 905 Seed
edited August 2014 in Custom Objects
Hey guys, here is my first proper TUG custom object mod, the first part of a larger mod.

BttUG3bCcAEzWK6.png:large

At the moment I have a basic low poly model done, I still need to work on a high poly sculpt and texturing. The sword is going to made out out of stone. There will be blue glowing cracks running down the sword, like a family tree, starting at the hollow circle and going down the blade.
Inside the hollow circle (if possible) I would like to have a hovering Wisp, similar to this sword:

mqdefault.jpg

The blue cracks will glow like in sigils magical pillar thing:

9xtP9JI.png

The handle guards will probably have a large gem on either side of the wisp circle, similar to the one in the seeds hand.

The lore behind my mod and the sword, if anyone is interested:

In the early days of the TUG universe, many small tribal groups formed, these groups harvested food and materials with basic stone tools. They worked well with these tools, but they broke easily and were not very efficient.
A certain tribe, housed in the rocky plains of what would become Plainhold, noticed a mysterious blue glow flying around in the night sky. The child-like nature of the ancient seeds encouraged them to explore and capture one of these creatures, which are now known as the Wisp. The older members of the tribe were intrigued by the glow, they assumed that there must be some kind of energy stored in the Wisp which allows it to give off such a strong light.
After many experiments, the ancient Seeds managed to capture a Wisp and extract the energy from the glowing gas which surrounded it. They found that this gas could be converted into a solid form of energy, but they didn't know how to use it. It didn't burn in a furnace, but it did melt and form a molten see of bright blue.
For years, the research to this energy continued but they never managed to get a firm grasp on how to use this potential. Maybe they were wrong? Maybe the Wisps did not hold any energy.
One blacksmith from the Plainshold tribe was crafting a sword. A long stone blade with a carved out circle, designed for holding coloured material. He assumed this invention would allow the Plainhold tribe to see eachother during battle. At this time the seeds were still very uneducated about the world around them, the blacksmith was testing materials in the furnace, seeing if they could improve their sword by heating them. After many failed experiments, they realized that stone was not a very versatile material, and they were probably stuck with what they had.
On a shelf above the blacksmith bench, a pot filled with the solid Wisp energy was still sitting unused. The blacksmith, curious about this material, decided to melt this liquid and apply a small drop, just above the carved out circle. To his surprise the liquid started to break into the stone, it moved down the blade of the sword, carving out a path similar to a river eroding its way through landscape.
Upon lifting the sword it felt much lighter and it managed to cut through materials much better than the stone they were used to.
Knowing the worth of this technology, the blacksmith secured the sword in the Plainhold vault. The knowledge was shared around the small community and research began towards using this material in everyday objects. As time moved on, wars raged and technology got better, the old knowledge of the Wisp energy was forgotten. As the ancient civilisations fell and crumbled, new and bigger cities were constructed on top. The sword which had once been the top tier of seed technology, had now been relegated to a forgotten myth, buried in what is now a crumbling vault.
Hello there! I am Youngy future owner of Plainhold (hopefully), go read the topic about Plainhold, and the Lemurian Empire, maybe also some of my other posts, like my mining suggestions! :)

Bye!

Comments

• Youngy798Youngy798 REGISTERED Posts: 905 Seed
    I changed up the hand guard a bit by expanding the attaching end. It makes it look less weak and makes it seem like it is actually attached to the sword.

BiNC0ZV.png
    Hello there! I am Youngy future owner of Plainhold (hopefully), go read the topic about Plainhold, and the Lemurian Empire, maybe also some of my other posts, like my mining suggestions! :)

Bye!
  • nocarenocare REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 92 Seed
    It's a good start. I definitely recommend shortening the handguard quite a bit though.
    It just doesn't need to be that big, especially since that O would provide a fair bit of protection on its own.
    And it curves up, making part of the blade useless to the wielder.

I'll definitely be watching your thread though :)
    The more weapons, the merrier haha.
    I was just looking at the model trying to see what I should change, that was actually one of the things I disliked.
    When you look at real swords like:

http://a.tgcdn.net/images/products/addi ... detail.jpg

and:

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/image ... word-5.jpg

the guards do actually curve up slightly, so I think I will keep it, because it looks good and in a game it will have no effect :)

Thanks for the feedback. This model is actually going to be part of a larger pack, possibly with its own race and structures once the game progresses. I am thinking that the race will probably be small stone creatures, kind of like the golems, but smaller. Think of a dwarf, made with rocks :D

Heres some examples from the internet to give you an idea of what I might end up making:

rock_golem_vs_girl___project_by_mangokingoroo-d4xy2s4.jpg

Golem.jpg

I actually had a concept drawing for something similar, but I can't seem to find it :D I want them to be kind of cute little monsters. Not big, evil, scary things. Something that is more like a friendly companion race.

ohhhh. This picture I found seems very similar to my idea :D

RockIT_Golem.jpg

Bye!
    I made the hand guards slightly shorter.

lCnV95X.png

Tommorow I am going to start UV mapping (btw start, I mean attempt :D) and hopefully everything goes fine.
    Then I have the huge task of trying to texture something to fit in with TUG style. Its quite a detailed by painterly style, so it will probably take a lot of time.

Bye!
  • ValidifyedValidifyed REGISTERED Posts: 612 Seed
    Had to read this on my big screen as the pics where so big, lol

Looking good, you've gotten really good with 3DS, Its inspired me to have more of a look myself (Again... Agh, I always have so much to do lol)
    The model only took my around 30 mins to an hour. I got reinspired when I saw Sigils Gecko mod :D

I haven't practiced modelling very much, I am still no where near being as good as Sigil or other modders, but hopefully TUG will be my chance to work on this stuff.

You should definitely try, watching people model is one the best ways to learn, I learn't by watching lets build series.

Bye!
  • nocarenocare REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 92 Seed
    Just keep doing it if you enjoy it. I've never been a really good artists, but I've used various free tools for years and years and just... baby steps I guess.

My only complaint about the model was like the proportions for the guard. Just looks funny to me. Quite possibly the angle throwing me off a bit, who knows. I certainly do look forward to the companions.

:D
    They aren't companions (but I guess they could be later in the game?). They are a race of ancient stone creatures who harnessed this Wisp power. However their personality means that they make good companions, and their stone bodies mean they are strong and very powerful.
    If I ever get good at TUG modding (I need to learn some basic lua) I will add some follower capabilities once the basic TUG followers are added.
    For now I am just going to be adding a range of technologically advanced weaponry, like Stone 'guns' which fire discs and stuff.

I am thinking in the mod, different colours of Wisp energy will equal different abilities like:

Blue = Strengh/lightness

Yellow = Fire/heat

Orange = Bendy/soft

Green = natural/earth

etc etc. So an example of a weapon which has the orange energy would be a stone bow. Stone would not normally be bendy, but the orange energy allows it to become that way.
    The yellow energy liquid/solid could provide very bright and long lasting torches. Maybe a green energy infused shovel cut through grass better?
    Kind of like enchanting, but using different energy types to add different abilities.

For now things like furniture, ruins, weapons etc will be added :D

EDIT: One of my inspirations for the theme, is the dwarven stuff in Skyrim. Its technologically advanced, but is still quite old in appearance. The Wisp energy is going to be a defining feature of this race.

Bye!
    Ive been watching some techniques for painting stone, at the moment I am thinking of sculpting a high poly model, creating a tiling stone texture, painting that on top and then adding hand painted details to the weapon. Like adding white highlights to the edges and stuff.

Details like this:

stone+is+better+rock+rock+_aa216078da25e7ef8ad491ab0bf0daa8.jpg

But more of a hand painted look

Bye!
  • ValidifyedValidifyed REGISTERED Posts: 612 Seed
    I made a square today.
    Post it :D Im gonna need a tutorial aswell, that sounds amazing.

Bye!
    I haven't gotten round to sculpting it yet, Ive been reading up on the best ways to do it. Here are some images I found that I will use to sculpt the stone blade:

aztecbladecasthand.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYTd-Kexx42wMpaywWeQDhG1r75TAhCgi0jP1CTxD4I0RCyyC6

120124092742-large.jpg

The picture on the left shows what kind of style I want. I want a lot of well defined edges, with a large smooth space in the middle (which will have the blue cracks running through it)

Bye!
    Ok so while reading up on polycount about baking high poly models, I found out that textools works with 3ds max 2014. If you dont know, textools makes UV mapping less annoying and it means that noobs like me can make decent UV maps without wanting to throw my pc out the window. So I am going to get the UV mapping all done today, and maybe start on the high poly model. Tommorow I will start texturing it :D

Bye!