Curse Forge?

inoino REGISTERED Posts: 131
edited July 2016 in News & Updates
Hey guys, so this is an important decision we want to get you guys involved on the dialog with, and it impacts mods and modders in a big way.

Some time back, you guys from the community may recall us speaking with curse about working with them on forums and website stuff. That conversation went to a standstill, as we just could not meet somewhere in the middle and decided to leave it for that time. We have since started talking to one another again, with our game and vision more clear, and their own tech having advanced again, along with a bigger focus on modding, especially in the MC community with FTB closely tied to them.

We are currently considering partnering with Curse as our official modding outlet. After some talks with them, they have shown great focus on tools for community and support of modders. And even has revenue shares available for those mods with downloads. This would not be including some ways we are still researching to help modders monetize their works. But this is a big decision and one we wanted to get your take on.

This would mean no steam workshop support, but working with curse, it would mean we get a bit more input on how we interact with the modding community and we can work together to find interesting solutions. Where as a site like steam is so bloated, that aside from the occasional support request, there is not much for us to do but "exist".

So please... share your thoughts on the matter, be objective, but think clearly about what it can do to help, or hurt, us all as a community behind TUG. And do keep in mind, this is JUST about curse forge for mods with TUG, not about anything else at this point.
I am a Dev on TUG, and I does teh science

Follow me on the twitters, why not? @inoritewtf

Comments

• YmedronYmedron REGISTERED Posts: 24 Seed
    I don't very much like curse but I can't for the life of me remember why.
    I'd probably prefer steam workshop over curse forge. :I
    *speaking as an end-user, not a modder*
  • Country_GamerCountry_Gamer REGISTERED Posts: 1
    edited July 2014
    I say go for it! As soon as I get around to it, I WILL be getting this game and hopefully one day, modding it :D
    I like curse, i have access to the voice thing they have been working on thanks to Kaelten, and hopefully once that has a mac version, I will be using it. CurseForge is a nice system, and easy for quick updates. Just some stuff I personally like about it though.
  • PokefennPokefenn REGISTERED Posts: 1
    This is definitely a very... loaded question, heh. Personally I do a bit of minecraft modding (Totemic, Chisel maintainer and ImLookingAtBlood, if that means anything) and I have found Curseforge to be one of the most polarising things, from both a modders standpoint. It's something that people usually either love or hate (I lean towards dislike, not a fan of the systems or uis), but the benefits are quite astounding in the long run. Modders can collect a large amount of points depending on the actual mods, and the hosting can be a life saver (I've been using Dropbox for my stuff and It's been a pain, still use it though xD)
    But that's looking at it from a point of view compared to the usual minecraft standard of Forums (Which is a terrible cesspool of ignorance :/), comparing it to the steamworkshop is a bit different since... I find the ui's, searchability, modder interactivity and everything else of the steam workshop to be confusing and not fitting (This is only from my usage of Civ5 mods and a few other things)
    Curseforge on the other hand really is a good central station of mods, i hate to admit it, but that's one thing it does well, but has issues in the Minecraft community since lots of us refuse to use it.

And then comes the thing of "OMG CURSE IS EVIL" which i see a lot, but to be honest... I have never saw that. I've looked at the past, and apart from one or two strange things that's happened on reddit, I don't see curse as this evil company as some people do... I've talked to some of the people who work there quite a few times, and they have all been really nice and tried to help out with the questions and other things I had (Kaelten to be exact).

All in all, I think It's a pretty interesting thing that can go many ways, I think it -would- be in the best interest of TUG to go for Curseforge (Which is strange since i personally don't like the system too much), but, I'm insane :)

(http://www.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/ ... g-at-blood this is the farthest i have went with curseforge :p)
  • MeldrixMeldrix REGISTERED Posts: 24 Seed
    c7NJRa2.gif
    But in all honesty, an prelaunch mod loader from both steam workshop and curse forge would suit me fine, the only drawback I can see is a split in communities, but honestly I see a bigger population of people coming from steam rather than curse and I think it'd be better to keep it to steam if you can only have one.
  • ValidifyedValidifyed REGISTERED Posts: 612 Seed
    Curse to me always seem to push the community back, they take the front seat that everyone is always eager to be part of, and make it exclusive to them. At the moment the community is entirely community driven - as it always should be - but if you look at games like minecraft, you clearly have a divide between content creators and consumers.

This may just be modding, but I think the aid for the modding community should come directly from the community itself - with maybe a pointer here and there from the programmers to help things along.

Let the community build its own tools and aids, and be completely free from any guiding hand - its the only way to have a community as awesome as TUG has currently - Accept curseforge and its the beginning of the end of this level of community interactivity.
    I mean, looking through their stuff... Its really just a glorified modDB with good layout for searching, downloading, and all the other obvious stuff that a modDB should have... pretty sure I could code that given enough time and effort, and I only learned HTML, JS and CSS last year.
  • inoino REGISTERED Posts: 131
    Ymedron wrote:

Well, this is that objective perspective I was speaking of... if we got real support from curse to really empower modders, it would be something we could do with them that steam would never do for us. Steam sells games, we know that Curse builds communities... if anything consider their revenue models. Curse needs ads and value to get people on their sites, it means they need people to stay, while steam is going to build more things to sell products faster. But this leaves for little attention to any one project.

This could be the start of something much bigger... it has legs and possibilities.

ino wrote:
    Ymedron wrote:

Well, this is that objective perspective I was speaking of... if we got real support from curse to really empower modders, it would be something we could do with them that steam would never do for us. Steam sells games, we know that Curse builds communities... if anything consider their revenue models. Curse needs ads and value to get people on their sites, it means they need people to stay, while steam is going to build more things to sell products faster. But this leaves for little attention to any one project.

This could be the start of something much bigger... it has legs and possibilities.

I would argue that the communities Curse builds are moulded into segregated archetypes; we make, you watch, read, use.

Curse also always seem to be pushing their premium too, and do their best to make you jealous of the shiny banners premium members have so you will throw more money at them; compare this to Nexus, where you can see a massive difference, All nexus gives you is private download servers as a thanks for supporting them - no flashy graphics, no throttling other peoples downloads, just a bonus for supporting their work - its definitely a profit business model, but its no where near as corporate as Curse looks and tries to look.
    Meldrix wrote:
    c7NJRa2.gif
    But in all honesty, an prelaunch mod loader from both steam workshop and curse forge would suit me fine, the only drawback I can see is a split in communities, but honestly I see a bigger population of people coming from steam rather than curse and I think it'd be better to keep it to steam if you can only have one.

it would be ONLY curseforge, not steam workshop if we did do this.

Validifyed wrote:
    ino wrote:
    Ymedron wrote:

I would argue that the communities Curse builds are moulded into segregated archetypes; we make, you watch, read, use.

Curse also always seem to be pushing their premium too, and do their best to make you jealous of the shiny banners premium members have so you will throw more money at them; compare this to Nexus, where you can see a massive difference, All nexus gives you is private download servers as a thanks for supporting them - no flashy graphics, no throttling other peoples downloads, just a bonus for supporting their work - its definitely a profit business model, but its no where near as corporate as Curse looks and tries to look.

Covering a few of your points:

Curse would have nothing to do with our modding tools, code, etc... they would simply host mods and we would work with them on a few bits here and there and offer suggestions of what we think may help be a strong community for modders.

I think that it may take quite a bit more work do build something like this than you think... stability alone is a monster all its own...

Its a solid thing that curse pushes its premium, especially since that is what goes towards revenue for modders. Its a business model that incentivizes people to submit their work and promote their projects. That is a huge positive for modders and for us.

I don't think they are as bad as you are making them out to be here... a hosting solution offers us a lot of advantages. Try and take a step back and look at how this could help too, not just why you don't approve of it. A good scientific perspective will take in all the facts.

• YmedronYmedron REGISTERED Posts: 24 Seed
    Though it sounds like you've already made up your mind about this...
  • Youngy798Youngy798 REGISTERED Posts: 905 Seed
    I like the built in points system, I know many people like to think that people are encouraged by enjoyment of a subject, which obviously many people are, but money is an even better way to encourage quality from people.
    I think the point system they have built in (Ive seen it from the minecraft forums) would encourage modders to make mods, and would encourage them to keep them updated and with a high quality. It also gives modders a way to get money without using dodgy ad links. It seems like it would improve quality for the end user a lot.
    I haven't had any experience with it, but I might add my texture pack to it and see how it goes.
    I think an organised system for mods would be good, I assume curse has some control over the mods, so that would probably help against viruses and stuff being spread. It might also help stop people from ripping off other people by reposting their stuff.
    The steam workshop is fine, but its bad at searching for stuff. Quite often I find it difficult to find a mod I am looking for.
    I think you should go for it :D as long as curse keeps the modders and users interests at the top, it should turn out well for everyone, I would use it :)
    Hello there! I am Youngy future owner of Plainhold (hopefully), go read the topic about Plainhold, and the Lemurian Empire, maybe also some of my other posts, like my mining suggestions! :)

Bye!
    Ok, so lets presume setting something like that up is harder then my experience in the field of computer science has let me to believe. Why not use NexusMods? All you need is to support the use of it officially, put up 1 mod to verify the game on their website, and people will start using it. Endorsements, automated spotlights, ranking systems, donation accepting, download archiving... They do it all, and without sticking their head into the games community and potentially upsetting it.

Take 'The Lonely Golem' - I can guarantee you they will be washed aside by Curse if they are given halve a chance, all you have to do is look at the Minecraft Forum homepage to see the wash of corporate rubbish they push out as "Community Videos" - all I can say for minecraft is at least some people got a grip on the bandwagon before Curse pained their dumb logo on the side of it and appointed their uninteresting workers (Who I dont even think like the game from the sound and looks of it) as the drivers.

Yes, I hate curse. Why? Because Minecraft actually had a community before they came along.
  • SigilSigil REGISTERED Posts: 678 Developer
    I went on their forums for a while when I was playing minecraft more and though they do build a community, though I question the quality. Also those folks will likely be a major portion of our demographic. It doesn't mean it has to be. Minecraft is somewhat less of a game than what TUG is meant to be.

I do like the idea having mod hosting for all, yet it doesn't mean we aren't getting by. Minecraft itself did quite well before curse added that. I am not a fan of their separate login which I feel would hurt us.

My other concern would be that they might pull our members away from our forums (where we can control) and put them over there were it's separate. In time you won't be able to reply to all of us like you have, but I feel better having you as the spokesperson and moderators rather than someone who's interest might not be in sync with NK's

Personally I'd prefer we let the community grow organically as it has. We've got good people who are passionate about the game and willing to give a lot more than someone pulled in from outside.

IN SPITE OF THIS.

TUG would get a big growth spurt. If this puts the game financially into a solid position where you're more free to move forward, I would seriously consider taking it.
  • PamcakesPamcakes REGISTERED Posts: 738
    edited July 2014
    Validifyed wrote:
    Yes, I hate curse. Why? Because Minecraft actually had a community before they came along.

Quoted this last bit, but I agree with everything.
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
    Sigil wrote:
    TUG would get a big growth spurt.

Compared to the growth the yogcast will provide when they start putting vids mentioning it onto their larger channels, the curse community growth is negligible, and so I think this should be largely ignored as a factor to keep the list of possible benefits and disadvantages is perspective.

---

On another note, why not just add file hosting to the preexisting accounts on this website? People can then make their mod threads and offer download links from their online folders if they dont have git or dropbox for whatever reason. I mean, their are so many other ways of doing this without risking the quality of the community.
  • The ArcanianThe Arcanian REGISTERED Posts: 51 Seed
    It does seem so far that the active members of the community are not for curse. I also like the sound of letting the community grow here naturally (I dub it indy community). That said, it would be good to hear some community members at least play devils advocate. I would if I had more experience with curse.
    Nerd? You say that like it's an insult.

Please excuse any bad spelling...
    The reality of this is, we do not have the back end or technical support to handle rapid growth and it can blow up in our faces. We also have an opportunity to work with curse to develop future tools and systems in our interest. We are not just a forum or community, we are a group of engineers as well, and we are building something very powerful that holds a lot of power and leverage with curse, if it does well enough.

And to be frank, the comparisons of the curse community for minecraft do not apply here... not just for the fact that we are not talking about forums here, just the mod hosting... anything else is a TOTALLY different topic. Even if this were a topic about the forums, a community run forum that got bought out by curse is far different than a forum that we as developers would constantly moderate and interact with... the only difference being more robust tools and some ads floating around. The trade off for this is, these systems are not simple things to create and manage. All the amazing and complex things we want to create, curse already has on their development path in some form for us to leverage.

We just dont have the bandwidth to focus on those things.

Additionally, the choice is not about doing it here or organically, it basically comes down to Nexus, Steam or Curse. Nexus does not have the technical support to leverage anything that we need going forward... just mods, so that is a one stop solution. Steam/Valve could care less what we do or do not need. At least with Curse, we know from their history that they are constantly pushing on new community and social tech. There are tools they have that we can leverage that will let us focus on resources in places that it is needed, like into the game and the associated tools.

Have to be forward thinking about this. Not saying one is better than the other, but since there seems to be a lot of bashing of curse with ZERO underlying facts, I am inclined to point those facts out. ALSO... I keep hearing comments about the quality of the community. We are talking about mod hosting. That's it. on Curse Forge. Our mods would go there, so we would not have to deal with them on this site and so we can work with a group to build more features that give us more feedback on modder activity.

• spacedotspacedot REGISTERED Posts: 416 Seed
    Curse wants to make money off you that's why they keep talking to you. Everyone has the feeling that Curse is bad but no one knows why. The reason is that they want everything. They want your game just to use their modding from their client. Its a business and its run like one, and that is why i want steamworks. Curse wants a piece of everygame it can so it can get people to their site's. Just look how many sites they own right now (7). You will guide you players to a place you do not have control over where they will be making money for curse by just visiting. Do you want people to be advertised other games while looking for mods for TUG? Steamworks is already attached to your game and steam forums. Which you are already on and can control. Splitting people up between Curse, steam forums and the official forums is stupid. Even if you do chose to go with them people wont use it because of Curses reputation.
    As has been discussed countless times on this thread, we are talking about mod hosting... that is all.

And everything you are pointing at as a drive of a business is no different than any other group that exists out there. Things have hard costs, especially developing big things. We burn about 150k a month just building this game and the technology, sites with huge traffic and a constant updating of these system also take teams and capital to run.

The very idea that people just have a bad feeling about them is disappointing, because it doesn't help me or anyone else understand why, aside from them are good at expanding on what they are doing. Why should they not make money from what we are doing? Its in our interest for them to make money so that they cooperate with us to get done what we want done with their back end. No other company would be in a position to do this.

Steam is a disaster, the developers of the platform take no insight or guidance from us, even if we provide them with data and research showing things should be handled differently, like curse or any other platform, they are interested in making money. The difference here is, with Curse we know they are interested in working to earn our cooperation.

Lets all take a step back... stop looking at this as gamers and company hating internet evangelists and start looking at what the real pros and cons are to working with them. I see nothing but speculation on things being ruined, or not liking them but not knowing why, and all sorts of things like this... but there is zero foundation to anything being brought up. C'mon guys, lets knock out some facts.

Here are some to consider:

Steam Workshop: Lots of people use it, systems already proven, ZERO data for us to use (big downer), developers of steam are NOT responsive to game developers, integration of systems already there for distribution, growth of community tools/technology limited to valve and valve alone

Curse: Lots of people use it, systems already proven, access to data for us to use, have direct line of communication/collaboration with developers, integration of systems need time and work, growth of community/tools are existent, can be managed and used by NK, FTB is already partnered with them (means more modders from MC to bring over)

Nexus: Large community of mod authors, lots of skyrim modders, community tech showing no advancement, no data to speak of

All of these sites are interested in making money... there is a hard cost to all things that are this large.

Also important to note, that since our last update, we have went from 10 sales a day in no time to 150 sales a day with last update, we have a MUCH larger update and yogscast coverage coming soon along with lots of other big youtubers now approaching us and some other REALLY big partnerships to announce. This thing could explode... and we need to be ready to handle that. The reality of it is, we just cannot manage that on our site... not for the things we want to do.

Really guys, im begging you... think about this logically, objectively. The list I gave you is only my own, think about the pros and cons beyond just assumptions of them being a company or not, or ruining things for your own taste... i am not saying they are the right group. But help us find what is the right thing for us to do for now and the future. There are lots of variables here, and all the thought I personally have given it tells me that while it will take work, Curse is our strongest partner, if for no other reason than they WANT to make money on this, and that is ok... its still our game, our tech and our community. Just their tools, which we need.

• PamcakesPamcakes REGISTERED Posts: 738
    Then do it?
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
  • SigilSigil REGISTERED Posts: 678 Developer
    Unfortunately the most we can say is that Curse has developed a bad name, possibly not even related to their own professionalism but to who is associated with them and some actions which they are blamed unduely. I think our major concern is it was unclear exactly how involved they'll be or what it will entail. It sounds like very little and that should be fine.

For things like monetization, I feel wary of it, but it sounds like it's vital to the business model.

As things develop we'd benefit from organized system and the ability to rate different mods.

The only downside to not choosing it would be familiarity and trust toward steamworkshop. But if it doesn't work as it sounds then Curse may be the only viable option.

Do what's best.
  • The ArcanianThe Arcanian REGISTERED Posts: 51 Seed
    edited July 2014
    spacedot wrote:
    Splitting people up between Curse, steam forums and the official forums is stupid. Even if you do chose to go with them people wont use it because of Curses reputation.
    ino wrote:
    I keep hearing comments about the quality of the community. We are talking about mod hosting. That's it. on Curse Forge. Our mods would go there, so we would not have to deal with them on this site and so we can work with a group to build more features that give us more feedback on modder activity.

Hosting mods on CurseForge does not mean NK will support any TUG forum that Curse might make.
    spacedot wrote:
    Curse wants to make money off you that's why they keep talking to you. Everyone has the feeling that Curse is bad but no one knows why. The reason is that they want everything. They want your game just to use their modding from their client. Its a business and its run like one, and that is why i want steamworks. Curse wants a piece of everygame it can so it can get people to their site's. Just look how many sites they own right now (7). You will guide you players to a place you do not have control over where they will be making money for curse by just visiting. Do you want people to be advertised other games while looking for mods for TUG?

There is nothing wrong with a business acting like a business, after all that is what they are. What you are not liking seems to be more the ethics of how Curse works. And honestly, ads and everything else are not a big deal, it is not any different from any other method a business uses for income.

EDIT: curse my slowness
    Nerd? You say that like it's an insult.

Please excuse any bad spelling...
  • Sparkst3rSparkst3r REGISTERED Posts: 7
    While I do have quite the distaste for curse I think it it's probably best for the game and modders to go through with it. So long as they don't get to interfere much or get too choosey about what goes on in the game and company, make sure to include get out clauses in the contract too. :P
    I'm not very familier with steam and it's mod handling, but I frequent the minecraft modding area of curse and it seems to be pretty robust.
    Although curse has developed a shady image I hope it wont put anyone off going to the site
    :)
  • GodGod REGISTERED, Vakaethei Posts: 2
    edited July 2014
    EDIT: RM
  • spacedotspacedot REGISTERED Posts: 416 Seed
    Sometimes ino i just hate you so damn much. But lets not digress. Its really between Curse and Valve, nexus mods are not enough and mainly for single player rpgs like skyrim. Curse is courting you because they are making nothing from you right now. Valve isn't because they are making money from you. Yes the data is something you guys want but you could also make a way for you to collect that from the game when its played. If you want to talk about possible sale generation compare how much you think Curse can get vs how much Valve can get you. If you stay with Valve your customers don't have to do more to get mods. They already have a steam account with TUG on it. You go with Curse we all have to get Curse accounts and download the client. You will lose people just from having to do that step. It's clear you want Curse, same as you did last time they were talking to you. Your problem is that people here don't want it and you know you will piss people off if you make the decision without people agreeing with you.

@thearcanian

Yes is the way the conduct their business that makes me not like them. But i disagree that adds should just be accepted. Curse is selling different games to you on every page. NK doesn't have the money to do that. The system is not in favor of indie or smaller studios.
  • RinRin REGISTERED Posts: 668 Seed
    company hating internet evangelists
    this made me laugh. i have no idea why either, which made me laugh as well.

anyways, from what i've seen as an end-user i personally prefer nexus. it's nice, clean-ish, and it's familiar to me. however, that being said, i do kinda like curse as well from the limited interactions i've had with them, and i personally detest steams workshop for reasons of preference..
    personal opinions aside however, if you guys believe that curse has the most potential to bring in more players, has the most potential to become better than the rest, and is more receptive than the rest, easier to use, and is the least world domination by aggressive expansion, then i'd support you, just don't get cursed with a third party launcher/unnecessary software ;).
    dear god, this must be the most active thread in a long time. lotza new posts.
    Warthunder, TUG and world of tanks fan/beta tester.
    member of The Lemurian empire and the Merchants guild
    Soon to be alchemist/apothecary in TUG
    20.jpg
  • LinkLink REGISTERED Posts: 62
    spacedot wrote:
    Curse wants to make money off you that's why they keep talking to you. Everyone has the feeling that Curse is bad but no one knows why. The reason is that they want everything. They want your game just to use their modding from their client. Its a business and its run like one, and that is why i want steamworks. Curse wants a piece of everygame it can so it can get people to their site's. Just look how many sites they own right now (7). You will guide you players to a place you do not have control over where they will be making money for curse by just visiting. Do you want people to be advertised other games while looking for mods for TUG? Steamworks is already attached to your game and steam forums. Which you are already on and can control. Splitting people up between Curse, steam forums and the official forums is stupid. Even if you do chose to go with them people wont use it because of Curses reputation.

The same can be said about Yogscast and any other group that would want to partner with TUG. Partnership is about mutual benefit. From my experience as a mod user, Curse Client tends to be more convenient for downloading mods than Mine craft forums. That's probably because Curse provides better incentives for quality mods tbh.
    Oh @spacedot... always such a delight. And still, not enough argument to explain to me why that is bad, aside from people have to make a segmented account... its possible that we may be able to make that port quite easy, though... but that should not stop progress.

its true, before I did want to, but it was ultimately my call even after the community began to turn in favor of it (this was a forums topic before, however, not a mod hosting topic). I did not feel comfortable with what was being said and offered so we stepped back from them. Now, we are much further along, have something awesome to show, have more leverage, they have more tech... its a different topic.

And again, its really us leveraging their tools, not us changing any control at all... its in their best interests to do what we need them to do, or we retract support of them. Its that simple.

And I am open to anything else being a better solution, really I am... this is just the one that I have with the information I have.

• Youngy798Youngy798 REGISTERED Posts: 905 Seed
    I think Curse would be a good thing for TUG, like I said earlier. If you arguing about the quality of the community coming from Curse.. I hate to think how much you guys are going to hate the effects pf tje partnership with Yogscast. Yogscasts community is arguably more annoying and whiny than anything Curse would create.
    I don't really feel the hate is justified towards curse, my experiences with the Minecraft forums have been great. Some people will argue that the community has become shit, which is something Curse didn't create, its a natural result from having the most popular PC game ever, with a large part of that community being young (not hating on kids btw).
    Dealing with the community changing and becoming worse (Not really worse, but more bad apples) and less close like it is now, is something everyone will experience.
    Minecraft changed, in some ways for the better, in many ways for the worse *cough* donations, pvp servers, factions, prison *cough* and something similar will happen to TUG.. and any new game. The only way you could preserve the feel we have now is by never selling anymore copies or advertising the game, but that would be disastrous and no one would ever argue for that.
    I don't think Curse is going to have anymore of a negative impact, than the yogscast, or advertising on youtube etc. If anything, Curse will be a positive thing for the modding community.

I support going with Curse.

Offtopic.. but oh well. PLEASE NK. NEVER advertise with SkydoesMinecraft, the horrors that will come, will be horrific. EG never being able to say the word Gold ever again. The community being over run by minigames *shudder*
    Hello there! I am Youngy future owner of Plainhold (hopefully), go read the topic about Plainhold, and the Lemurian Empire, maybe also some of my other posts, like my mining suggestions! :)

Bye!
This discussion has been closed.