Yugscast

inoino REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS, Moderator, Developers Posts: 131 El Jefe
edited August 2014 in News & Updates
It’s arguable that the Yogscast has been one of the most influential groups in the Minecraft community. Many of the mods or maps I have played to date have come from watching them on their Yogscast channel. I even learned Tekkit and Thaumcraft from Duncan and made an attempt at my own factory after the Yogs creation of their own Jaffa Factory, to which I failed miserably. Aside from general geekness, they were also a testament to our own academic ideals of social learning (gross, academics!), which is an incredibly powerful and disruptive statement in the world of “academia”, its this crazy idea that we, as gamers, can often more effectively teach and share complexity better than any single teacher or textbook, I’m a big fan.

I always would create those, “what if” scenarios early in our development, as most developers do. What if we had modders and map makers who could use OUR tools to make things fun enough to share by the Yogscast, someday. It turns out, we have this opportunity now, and a bit more…

So, I am REALLY excited to announce our official partnership and collaboration with the Yogscast… *gimme a second, barfing rainbows of excitement right now*. We met for dinner back at GDC in San Fran and we have become pretty close over the months, geeking out about things we can do, build, and share, and we cannot be more excited about the future of this project as we are right now. Their insights and experience working with modders and map makers will be invaluable, and its going to be a lot of fun making some content for their community as well. So certainly do expect some subtle influence from them in the project as well. Hmm… how many ways COULD we craft a viking helmet or diggy diggy hole tools?

Our vision for this project is in sync, and nothing changes in our development path, so we could not have asked for a better partner on this project. They are the best at what they do and we look forward to building a platform with them. There are some AMAZING things on the way with our game and the technology behind it. SO much cool stuff, but we will roll out more details of what we are working on together over time, in the form of videos and blogs, as per usual. Overall, this is a huge step for our community and project, and we hope you guys are as excited about this as we are!
I am a Dev on TUG, and I does teh science

Follow me on the twitters, why not? @inoritewtf

Comments

• katoronekatorone REGISTERED Posts: 14
    Weren't they developing their own game/engine? Yogventures?
    AFAIK their own kickstartered game is a big flop, so how are they the best at what they do, or a great partner for TUG?
  • inoino REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS, Moderator, Developers Posts: 131 El Jefe
    The game was actually being built by winterkewl, not yogscast. It was more that Yogscast was allowing them to use their likenesses and input to make a creation sandbox. The situation for us is very different... we were already building this and already know very well what we need done. Part of that being done comes from certain tools and systems that can help people make things. Not to mention their wanting to help spread the word on the project to get us more support, which keeps us building tech. So that is a win all over.

They are the best at what they do, since what they do is make fun content on their channel. And that is what they are going to do.

Cool? Cool. *high five*

edit: Also, it was another game in unity, not their own engine :)

• jon14ukjon14uk REGISTERED Posts: 782 Seed
    High FIVE I think it sounds good will help get Tug out their in the public eye since they have such a huge fan base and they are fun to watch and I for one want to welcome Yugcast to the TUG community with a big hug :mrgreen: metaphorically of course that would just be weird :roll:
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    The Military General for xandertopia :D .
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
  • SimbaSimba REGISTERED, Developers Posts: 74 Developer
    jon14uk wrote:
    I for one want to welcome Yugcast to the TUG community with a big hug :mrgreen: metaphorically of course that would just be weird :roll:
    What's so weird about hugs? Do you think such a partnership would have even been possible without hugs?
  • PamcakesPamcakes REGISTERED, Moderator Posts: 738 Seed
    I think it's gonna be a lot of fun! I can't wait to see the stuff these guys put out in regards to TUG things. :3
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
    They will probably need to wait until multiplier goes back online unless they want to do some single player videos might be better for them to wait a little for Tug to get into shape build those voxel muscles up you know what i am sayin. ;)
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
  • TestamentofTestamentof REGISTERED Posts: 1,234 Seed
    You'll have to excuse me if this news doesn't exactly rub me the right way. While I'm sure the Yogscast crew are terrific in person, from what I've watched in their videos I didn't find anything appealing.

To each their own, but you'll have to excuse me if I don't start barfing up kitties and rainbows.

Sorry to be such a downer.
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
  • ZekloZeklo REGISTERED Posts: 344 Seed
    Wow, don't usually comment on this sort of stuff but hey! Sounds like (more) things are getting done!
    "All things must come to an end." "I am but one of many." "Why? Why not!"
  • mcmanusaurmcmanusaur REGISTERED Posts: 141
    This will be a win-win for sure, congrats!
  • Absolute_bearzerkAbsolute_bearzerk REGISTERED Posts: 30 Seed
    have fun paying them for making money off your game
  • inoino REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS, Moderator, Developers Posts: 131 El Jefe
    For what its worth, we didn't pay them anything for the partnership. But hey, thanks for the kind thoughts!

• redakdalredakdal REGISTERED Posts: 8
    hey Ino I am from the yogventures kickstarter, thanks for letting us yognaught's join in your community, I can only speak for me when I say Tug looks very interesting and I can't wait to play it, but if its not too much to ask I would like to ask a few questions relating to your parntership with the yogscast

1. what exactly does nerdkingdom and yogscast partnering up mean? does this mean that there will be yogscast like stuff in your game, or just exclusive stuff for the kickstarters? will the yogscast be giving any creative input?

2. I understand if this question is too much for you guys right now, and/or you have no idea but I wanted to ask since your partnering up with them, does this mean all the assest/program of the yogventures game is scrapped? are you guys working on it also, or does this mean the yogscast kickstart game is no longer being worked on?

I only ask this out of pure curosity, as a kickstarter that put $25 done on yogventures 2 years ago, I would like to know, if you guys can, a little bit more on this touchy subject, as I did get emails, but I am still unsure what this exactly means for us other then a game that we never got from the original kickstarter

I never heard of TUG before this, and I am really interested in seeing what this game is about!!
    diggy diggy hole
  • spacedotspacedot REGISTERED Posts: 416 Seed
    redakdal wrote:

2. I understand if this question is too much for you guys right now, and/or you have no idea but I wanted to ask since your partnering up with them, does this mean all the assest/program of the yogventures game is scrapped? are you guys working on it also, or does this mean the yogscast kickstart game is no longer being worked on?

This one has been answered. The assets of yogventures were offered and rejected by NK. They are not working on it. Yogventures is canceled and will never be finished.
    spacedot wrote:
    redakdal wrote:

This one has been answered. The assets of yogventures were offered and rejected by NK. They are not working on it. Yogventures is canceled and will never be finished.

were exactly did someone say they "rejected it"??

anyway, I guess your right, time to stop being nice redakdal, and stop lying to myself, yogventure's failed due to not enough time/ man power, I love the yogscast, but I feel like they jumped into this mess without really knowing what was going on

I guess at the end of it, I am glad the yogscast did someone to make up for us kickstarters waiting years, though I can say for myself, I do not mean to barge into your guy's game, and neither do my other yognaught friends, we will try to be as humble as can be :D
    diggy diggy hole
    So gamespot made a video kind of saying its the blame of yogcast that the game failed and I am just wondering is this going to hurt tug they didn't even mention you all or how their backers are getting a copy of tug accept for a second. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7T3O12xYlI
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
    redakdal wrote:

Just dropping in to answer this real quick, from the Steam forums in this thread. http://steamcommunity.com/app/277930/di ... 076681/#p2

"Yea, they offered, we declined. This project has no need for unity gameplay code or assets that dont fit in this world." - Inoritewtf [developer]
    If Pamcake's link isn't enough, here's plenty more to read: Nerd Kingdom on Yogventures!'s implosion and the future of TUG
    redakdal wrote:
    spacedot wrote:
    redakdal wrote:

anyway, I guess your right, time to stop being nice redakdal, and stop lying to myself, yogventure's failed due to not enough time/ man power, I love the yogscast, but I feel like they jumped into this mess without really knowing what was going on

I guess at the end of it, I am glad the yogscast did someone to make up for us kickstarters waiting years, though I can say for myself, I do not mean to barge into your guy's game, and neither do my other yognaught friends, we will try to be as humble as can be :D

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/07/18 ... /#comments

This is Ino talking about the whole situation.Below is the the direct quote.

What sort of legal obligations to Yogventures!'s backers does Nerd Kingdom incur as a result of the acquisition of Winterkewl's assets? Doesn't Yogscast's transfer of these assets -- funded by Kickstarter -- to TUG imply Yogscast's involvement in the canceled project was more than a mere YouTube partnership?

Well, to clarify, although it was offered, we did not accept it.

Edit: and i have been beaten.
    thanks guys, yea I read that early while downloading the game, they also mention in the post my other answer as well, so thanks!!

and also did watch that gamespot video, I love the yogscast, but they did have a strong point, but again the video is very misinformed as winterkewl and yogscast have allready stated the money from the kickstarter had been spent on the dev of the game, and the rewards as well

I guess the big question for me now is that since you guys declined yogventures, but accepted us kickstarters into your circle, does this ultimately mean that all of the assets of yogventures will be in limbo? I am only guessing the yogscast still have it, and if so, I think they should at the very least give ou the source code, since they have no use for it.....but again because they partnered with nerdkingdom, would they legally be able to do that? yogventures is over, I get that, but if they put all the coding and stuff online, there has to be someone out there that might be able to finish it, but again I doubt the yogscast would do something like that
    diggy diggy hole
    redakdal wrote:
    thanks guys, yea I read that early while downloading the game, they also mention in the post my other answer as well, so thanks!!

and also did watch that gamespot video, I love the yogscast, but they did have a strong point, but again the video is very misinformed as winterkewl and yogscast have allready stated the money from the kickstarter had been spent on the dev of the game, and the rewards as well

I guess the big question for me now is that since you guys declined yogventures, but accepted us kickstarters into your circle, does this ultimately mean that all of the assets of yogventures will be in limbo? I am only guessing the yogscast still have it, and if so, I think they should at the very least give ou the source code, since they have no use for it.....but again because they partnered with nerdkingdom, would they legally be able to do that? yogventures is over, I get that, but if they put all the coding and stuff online, there has to be someone out there that might be able to finish it, but again I doubt the yogscast would do something like that

The code is useless to NK. Its a different engine. The same kinda way you cant take parts from different car brands and put them together. The art isn't needed, if you look for the concept art TUG has you can see it's already better.
    edit: that gamespot article/video was horrible and seemed just like a sensational piece to get views. Read the comment section of it and see the guy try and debate people who point out the misinformation.
  • ChohsanChohsan REGISTERED Posts: 220
    I do understand that TUG receives a fair amount of support and publicity/influence by recruiting the Yogventures! backers and collaborating with Yogscast via the compensatory accounts for Yogventures!' backers, but will the publicity make a noticeable difference in the short or long term? Has it already?

Also, there is a response in the e-interview that I don't understand; it almost seems like an answer to a question that wasn't asked or wasn't posted:
    [Massively:] We understand that Nerd Kingdom will be distributing TUG to the original Kickstarter backers of Yogventures!. Is NK doing anything else for them? What about Yogventures! backers who already paid for TUG independently -- is there a chance for refunds?

[Nerd Kingdom's Peter Salinas:] Yeah, we did think it would be pretty rad to do some TUG-themed content in some form. But bottom line is, it's our project and our world, so anything we do needs to fit and not take away from the tone. We take the worlds "narrative" very seriously, so it's gonna take some thought on how to handle it. Some of the solutions are unknown, but we are gonna look for solutions that make sense and make every happy that we can.
    [Edit: Ino probably meant they're considering giving the Yogsventures! backers additional TUG-themed content.]

Lastly, I personally dislike the idea of essentially giving away 16,000 copies--or more if backers who backed at tiers providing more than one copy of Yogventures! are being comped per purchased copy--, partly because a lot of people, myself included, have paid for their copy/copies of the game, however I'm hopeful this will play out well and lead to a positive outcome for Nerd Kingdom, TUG, and everyone involved.

For now I'll return to my corner in the forums and watch things from a distance. :]
    zeN5DFg.png
    redakdal wrote:
    yogventures is over, I get that, but if they put all the coding and stuff online, there has to be someone out there that might be able to finish it, but again I doubt the yogscast would do something like that
    Yogscast knows that if they throw the code out there it won't make matters any better. No sensible person would take on the burden to lead the ship after this fiasco. If they just released the source code it'll end up like the thousands of other open source games that you've never heard of.
    Chohsan wrote:
    Lastly, I personally dislike the idea of essentially giving away 16,000 copies--or more if backers who backed at tiers providing more than one copy of Yogventures! are being comped per purchased copy--, partly because a lot of people, myself included, have paid for their copy/copies of the game,
    "I hate that they're giving out free cookies because I already have a cookie!"
    Chohsan wrote:
    however I'm hopeful this will play out well and lead to a positive outcome for Nerd Kingdom, TUG, and everyone involved.
    This partnership works out for both parties. It certainly works out for NK more. Yogscast's main channel has over 7 million subscribers. That's millions of people who haven't bought TUG yet and will (hopefully) be exposed to it once it's further developed. In exchange, Nerd Kingdom handed out 16,000 keys to people who were cheated out of their money for a different project. "Have a cookie"
    jalb wrote:
    redakdal wrote:
    yogventures is over, I get that, but if they put all the coding and stuff online, there has to be someone out there that might be able to finish it, but again I doubt the yogscast would do something like that
    Yogscast knows that if they throw the code out there it won't make matters any better. No sensible person would take on the burden to lead the ship after this fiasco. If they just released the source code it'll end up like the thousands of other open source games that you've never heard of.
    Chohsan wrote:
    Lastly, I personally dislike the idea of essentially giving away 16,000 copies--or more if backers who backed at tiers providing more than one copy of Yogventures! are being comped per purchased copy--, partly because a lot of people, myself included, have paid for their copy/copies of the game,
    Chohsan wrote:
    however I'm hopeful this will play out well and lead to a positive outcome for Nerd Kingdom, TUG, and everyone involved.
    This partnership works out for both parties. It certainly works out for NK more. Yogscast's main channel has over 7 million subscribers. That's millions of people who haven't bought TUG yet and will (hopefully) be exposed to it once it's further developed. In exchange, Nerd Kingdom handed out 16,000 keys to people who were cheated out of their money for a different project. "Have a cookie"

exactly! this is sorta like "here is 100,00 dollars worth of free advertisement" people like me, never heard of tug(might of seen it on the steam store never bought it)

at the end of the day, I personally don't care for yogscast THEMED items, what I really want is a indie game that is being worked on, and updated frequently, its not about the money, its about the trust that was broken

again, TUG looks like a great game, if I knew before, I would of bought it myself, but again too, I could see people being upset because it seems like were getting a free ride out of this
    diggy diggy hole
    redakdal wrote:
    jalb wrote:
    redakdal wrote:
    Chohsan wrote:
    Chohsan wrote:

exactly! this is sorta like "here is 100,00 dollars worth of free advertisement" people like me, never heard of tug(might of seen it on the steam store never bought it)

at the end of the day, I personally don't care for yogscast THEMED items, what I really want is a indie game that is being worked on, and updated frequently, its not about the money, its about the trust that was broken

again, TUG looks like a great game, if I knew before, I would of bought it myself, but again too, I could see people being upset because it seems like were getting a free ride out of this

First off numbers in this are getting way off what they will be so lets try and condense to be more accurate. The total number of keys before anything is taken away is 16,648 ( 7069singe copy+6578 backers with 2 copys ). Now from information given we know some people did not pay. Now assuming that people who didn't pay did not get the game and didn't get a copy of TUG we can do some math and figure out how many we need to take away from that number. Kickstarter and Amazon fees are 5% each at max so we end up at 510 898. Winterkewl state that "roughly $415,000 of that was actually transferred after the Kickstarter fees and Amazon fees had been collected". Its been said that only one of the 10,000 paid up, take off 40,000 and 8 keys. Still 60,000 worth to take off. If from the lowest backing tier of $15 at max 4000 keys were not paid for. Going the other way from highest down 108 keys were not paid for. Now since we have no way of telling we can not assume which one of the outcomes is true.We can factor that the number is between 16,540 and 12,648. Yay math.

The 100,000 worth of marketing dollars is something i have no way of doing because its impossible to tell but lets not use it because its extravagant and outlandish and wont help the argument.

Redakdal you seem like you are one of the people who got a TUG key from yogs so you wont get where Chohsan is coming from. Kickstarter backers of TUG now make up one third of the games population ( not doing the math just deal with it ). Sure its great if you just got it but now the people here before became less relevant in a way, even if NK do not intend for that to happen it more that likely will. We were here supporting the game for over a year and now new people come here and give sarcastic and patronizing things when comments about the deal are said? That's not really a nice way to join these forums and the community.
    redakdal wrote:
    what I really want is a indie game that is being worked on, and updated frequently
    I'm here to tell ya, the devs are one super dedicated bunch. Hope you enjoy our little community! The more the merrier.
    redakdal wrote:
    I could see people being upset because it seems like were getting a free ride out of this
    Don't pay them any mind. I for one think it's really awesome. It's both good for TUG, and you guys. You get to have an even better game than what was promised (What a bold statement, meow). Besides, you guys coming over into our community is a great thing, and I've seen lots of cool things form you guys! Closing you guys off wouldn't help us at all, not one bit. How would we continue to grow the game we love if we stay small forever?

<3
    Don't pay them any mind. I for one think it's really awesome. It's both good for TUG, and you guys. You get to have an even better game than what was promised (What a bold statement, meow).

Burn her shes a witch.. yeah burn her ... huh wha yeah what every one else said... yeh what you tell it man blasphemy ... Excuse me EXCUSE ME I just wanted to say I agree with her that's my opinion............. Burn Him too . crowd grabs torches
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
    I can't say i am for or against at this point because its just shortly after the announcement and keys being sent out.
    Pamcakes wrote:
    redakdal wrote:
    what I really want is a indie game that is being worked on, and updated frequently
    I'm here to tell ya, the devs are one super dedicated bunch. Hope you enjoy our little community! The more the merrier.
    redakdal wrote:
    I could see people being upset because it seems like were getting a free ride out of this
    Don't pay them any mind. I for one think it's really awesome. It's both good for TUG, and you guys. You get to have an even better game than what was promised (What a bold statement, meow). Besides, you guys coming over into our community is a great thing, and I've seen lots of cool things form you guys! Closing you guys off wouldn't help us at all, not one bit. How would we continue to grow the game we love if we stay small forever?

<3

yea, I am not here to stomp on there game, I am really enjoying it so far, and you guys have been super awesome to give us keys, hopefully it will all settle down after a while, I think everyone is tense for one reason or another
    diggy diggy hole
  • TestamentofTestamentof REGISTERED Posts: 1,234 Seed
    redakdal wrote:
    I think everyone is tense for one reason or another

Given that all the Yogventures! backers just got told they're not getting what they backed, and are instead getting TUG, a game a large portion of them haven't probably heard of, I would say that the tension is warranted to some degree.
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
  • LinkLink REGISTERED Posts: 62
    redakdal wrote:
    I think everyone is tense for one reason or another

Given that all the Yogventures! backers just got told they're not getting what they backed, and are instead getting TUG, a game a large portion of them haven't probably heard of, I would say that the tension is warranted to some degree.

One of the problems with crowd funding right now is that people don't realize that it is stems from investment ideas. Too many kick starter funders think that it is some sort of way to preorder a game when it really isn't. If you fund anything you got to realize that you are taking a risk, and that the investment might indeed fail. IMO people need to stop getting butthurt when they don't get exactly what they were expecting and be more realistic.
This discussion has been closed.