Will We be stuck with the Steam Requirement forever?

KSPKSP REGISTERED Posts: 3
edited September 2014 in Alpha Forum
I'm not a fan of Steam, and I have flat out refused to buy any game though them until now.
I have just noticed the game will not run with out Steam. Will Steam continue to be required?

Comments

• spacedotspacedot REGISTERED Posts: 416 Seed
    Seeing as they had a their own launcher before it was on steam i think you should be able to use that. But why don't you like steam?
  • Auti0Auti0 REGISTERED Posts: 277
    We will be bringing back sales directly through the website at some point in the near future. Going steam only was a temp solution until we solidified our account systems to better manage multiple account sources.
    Auti0 wrote:
    We will be bringing back sales directly through the website at some point in the near future. Going steam only was a temp solution until we solidified our account systems to better manage multiple account sources.

btw happy birthday
  • KSPKSP REGISTERED Posts: 3
    Auti0 wrote:

Thank you for the quick reply. I can understand the need for a good electronic distrobution method.
    It's not purtching through Steam that is the problem. I don't like the idea of being required to install and run Steam just to play. Steam does not have the best track record when it come to offline play or continuing to allow access to games they no longer support. I would hate to make an invesment on a game just to find I'm locked out because I can't run Steam, or they no longer support the access key.

P.S.
    Great job on the game so far. With the game being this good in Alpha I can't wait to see how it turns out.

-KSP
    KSP wrote:
    Thank you for the quick reply. I can understand the need for a good electronic distrobution method.
    It's not purtching through Steam that is the problem. I don't like the idea of being required to install and run Steam just to play. Steam does not have the best track record when it come to offline play or continuing to allow access to games they no longer support. I would hate to make an invesment on a game just to find I'm locked out because I can't run Steam, or they no longer support the access key.

P.S.
    Great job on the game so far. With the game being this good in Alpha I can't wait to see how it turns out.

-KSP

What track record are you referring to? Any single player game can be played in offline mode if its updated. I had a game that was no longer purchasable on steam and it didn't stop me from player it at all.
  • TestamentofTestamentof REGISTERED Posts: 1,234 Seed
    spacedot wrote:
    no longer purchasable on steam and it didn't stop me from player it at all.

Was said game re-installed after the game was pulled from the steam catalogue? I've been unable to redownload a few purchased games after they've been pulled, even if they're still in my library (not anymore now).
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
    spacedot wrote:
    no longer purchasable on steam and it didn't stop me from player it at all.

Was said game re-installed after the game was pulled from the steam catalogue? I've been unable to redownload a few purchased games after they've been pulled, even if they're still in my library (not anymore now).

I only know of two games which have been taken off. But wouldn't that be not their decision. If a company whats to take a game off steam they would they not have to comply or face legal issues. I also see i made a spelling mistake in your quote but i am leaving it.
  • TestamentofTestamentof REGISTERED Posts: 1,234 Seed
    It's a touchy issue I suppose.

KSP (Is that short for what I think it's short for?), if you go to the Account page and log in, you should still be able to download the Pre-steam launcher, not sure if it will download the most up to date version or if NK has temporarily stopped distribution through it, but if worse comes to worse then you have the old launcher which will start working once NK starts using it again, or, you'll have your steam free copy of TUG!
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
  • ProBeingNoobProBeingNoob REGISTERED Posts: 189 Seed
    I believe you can still use the launcher. And as Auti0 answered, they will bring back sales to the website, which will be awesome for you :)
    2.jpg
    BMOhn.gif9gF3P.gif
    Mind clicking those eggs?
  • KarlChea'KarlChea' REGISTERED Posts: 2
    Steam is great, it's such an easy way to access a lot of games?