Spell/magic suggestions by community.

2»

Comments

  • jon14ukjon14uk REGISTERED Posts: 782 Seed
    I honestly feel like a lot of magic should be OP because I mean come on your a Mage using magic you are OP in general a fireball in real life is OP lol I think all magic should be OP but their should be OP defense magic to balance it.

    I honestly think if the magic isn't like target locked and heat seeks you I would be fine all you gotta do is one don't fight a mage and two run. If you are fighting a mage use strategy get behind them or something.

    Also crazy OP spells will be fine with me in tug because its resource based so its not like you could non stop shoot fire at me enchantments maybe could be charged up after so much use.

    Sorry for all the OP lol but you all get it :)
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    The Military General for xandertopia :D .
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
  • ZekloZeklo REGISTERED Posts: 344 Seed
    jon14uk wrote:
    I honestly feel like a lot of magic should be OP because I mean come on your a Mage using magic you are OP in general a fireball in real life is OP lol I think all magic should be OP but their should be OP defense magic to balance it.

    I honestly think if the magic isn't like target locked and heat seeks you I would be fine all you gotta do is one don't fight a mage and two run. If you are fighting a mage use strategy get behind them or something.

    Also crazy OP spells will be fine with me in tug because its resource based so its not like you could non stop shoot fire at me enchantments maybe could be charged up after so much use.

    Sorry for all the OP lol but you all get it :)
    I will agree to some extent. I mean I think a mage should be able to take on a few basic seeds. As I would think magic is a bit high in the "tech tree". So a couple seeds with spears should get completely wrecked by a mage, even if they have the numbers. You could even go the rock, paper, scissors route. Mage beats Warrior. Warrior beats ranger/rogue. Rogue beats mage. Though like you said magic would be really OP in real life because what would a dagger do against a ball of flame being hurled at you. From a game stand point though, some balance would be required but I just can't think of anything. Guess my ideas have been spent else where.
    "All things must come to an end." "I am but one of many." "Why? Why not!"
  • jon14ukjon14uk REGISTERED Posts: 782 Seed
    Well perhaps a shield any shield in general could block a spell within reason like a fire ball but at the cost of greatly damaging your shield depending on the quality and if it has a enchantment. So maybe a warrior with a steal shield could take like 5 fireballs without being badly damaged but maybe since its steal it would over heat his shield and starts to hurt his arm.
    This would be different for different spells like Ice might just shatter and damage the shield while lighting will cause heavy damage to the warrior if he is wearing full steal armor.
    I would like to be able to throw every weapon I have as a last resort so if I was fighting a mage and couldnt get close I could throw like a sword which might be good weapon to throw while a battle axe would not be such a good idea because it wouldn't go vary far based on my characters strength.

    Also maybe your character only throws battle axes and that's how you fight so in that case it would be a good idea. But yes I think what you are wearing or using should have some affect on what spell is being cast at you because it seems like in other games spells just do what they do because they are "magic" and are not seen as a force of nature kind of thing. idk lol idea storm
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    The Military General for xandertopia :D .
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
  • ZekloZeklo REGISTERED Posts: 344 Seed
    Hmmmm... what about a (forbidden/dark) spell that consumes/destroys an entity's (non-player of course xD) wisp (I'm assuming (I hate doing that!) that not just seeds have wisps). This may raise alarms in certain clans and what not. Since that's not just killing the being but destroying its whole existence. Not allowing it to do anything else. Like become a plant or whatever wisps do. What would be the advantage to it? Well I have no clue, perhaps raise maximum health? Sounds a bit over-powered to me. Like all magic (dark/forbidden even more) there is a down side... what shall it be... maybe since that's kind of breaking the balance of life it has a chance to summon (goes up the more you take) a foul beast. Something to regain the balance or whatever. Just throwing an idea around, without thinking about balance. Typical me.
    "All things must come to an end." "I am but one of many." "Why? Why not!"
  • LinkLink REGISTERED Posts: 62
    Zeklo wrote:
    Link wrote:
    I really want to see spells that revolve around life-stealing. There could easily be a spell that temporally adds life-steal to your weapon, or one that is an AoE that sucks the life out of opponents.
    Or maybe rather than a temporary life-steal-to-weapon-spell. Maybe some sort of enchanting system... not called enchanting so people don't whine: "Copied minecraft" Could be called imbuing, that will add special attributes to weapons and armor.

    Back to spells though, life-steal spells are one of the must haves. An AoR life steal could be a might over powered but maybe the cost would be high. (not gonna say mana cost because there magic system may not use "a mana". If they do I hope its called something else like Spiritual Energy or something. As long as its not mana.)

    If anyone is stupid enough to call a game a "minecraft copy" because it is a sandbox with enchanting than they are really stupid.
  • ZekloZeklo REGISTERED Posts: 344 Seed
    Link wrote:
    Zeklo wrote:
    Link wrote:
    I really want to see spells that revolve around life-stealing. There could easily be a spell that temporally adds life-steal to your weapon, or one that is an AoE that sucks the life out of opponents.
    Or maybe rather than a temporary life-steal-to-weapon-spell. Maybe some sort of enchanting system... not called enchanting so people don't whine: "Copied minecraft" Could be called imbuing, that will add special attributes to weapons and armor.

    Back to spells though, life-steal spells are one of the must haves. An AoR life steal could be a might over powered but maybe the cost would be high. (not gonna say mana cost because there magic system may not use "a mana". If they do I hope its called something else like Spiritual Energy or something. As long as its not mana.)

    If anyone is stupid enough to call a game a "minecraft copy" because it is a sandbox with enchanting than they are really stupid.
    You'd be surprised at the reasons people call TUG a minecraft copy...
    "All things must come to an end." "I am but one of many." "Why? Why not!"
  • WingidonWingidon REGISTERED Posts: 1,128 Seed
    Surprise me, Zeklo.
    I sexually identify as a set of knight full plate armor. I hope you can accept me the way I am; otherwise, check your armor privileges.
  • ZekloZeklo REGISTERED Posts: 344 Seed
    Wingidon wrote:
    Surprise me, Zeklo.
    Things I've heard: You can craft. You can place blocks. It has hunger system!
    These are all horrible reasons that it would be a copy... and these are only a few, but people say em. Surprising or not.
    "All things must come to an end." "I am but one of many." "Why? Why not!"
  • SimbaSimba REGISTERED, Developers Posts: 74 Developer
    I don't think you can even say being a "Minecraft copy" is a bad thing anymore...

    Minecraft started the trend of a whole plethora of "voxel" and sandbox games. It's practically its own genre now. TUG is one of the least likely candidates as a Minecraft clone since there's plenty of other games that blatantly rip off its gameplay. TUG at least aspires to offer so much more to expand the genre.

    Besides, to be all cliché for a moment: good developers copy, great developers steal...

    Back on the topic though: enchanting weapons is something done way before the Minecraft days. It could be a nice addition to the game, especially in the realm of experimentation.
  • jon14ukjon14uk REGISTERED Posts: 782 Seed
    Any enchantments you have in mind I really like fire in general so I probably would make weapons that would cause fire to burn when the enemy is hit. Hey I have a idea for a enchantment lets use a sword for example most sword enchantments in any game are vary similar as in I hit you you catch fire right.

    Well what if we had special enchantments that added ways for weapons to be used differently like a fire enchantment that lets me shoot fire from the sword and also would cause fire damage when I cut a enemy. So with a fire blast from the sword I would just switch the modes like how the spear right now has a throw mode and a strike mode could work like that to a blast mode and a melee mode/normal.

    I am only using fire as a example but here is a logical way to balance that enchantment. When you use the blast it would drain you weapons power a lot faster than striking. So you would need to wisely decide when to use it. Also perhaps there could be a way to activate and deactivate the enchantment so you don't waste the energy on like killing a rabbit or a minor enemy.
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    The Military General for xandertopia :D .
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
  • ZekloZeklo REGISTERED Posts: 344 Seed
    jon14uk wrote:
    Any enchantments you have in mind I really like fire in general so I probably would make weapons that would cause fire to burn when the enemy is hit. Hey I have a idea for a enchantment lets use a sword for example most sword enchantments in any game are vary similar as in I hit you you catch fire right.

    Well what if we had special enchantments that added ways for weapons to be used differently like a fire enchantment that lets me shoot fire from the sword and also would cause fire damage when I cut a enemy. So with a fire blast from the sword I would just switch the modes like how the spear right now has a throw mode and a strike mode could work like that to a blast mode and a melee mode/normal.

    I am only using fire as a example but here is a logical way to balance that enchantment. When you use the blast it would drain you weapons power a lot faster than striking. So you would need to wisely decide when to use it. Also perhaps there could be a way to activate and deactivate the enchantment so you don't waste the energy on like killing a rabbit or a minor enemy.
    Sounds neat. I wouldn't mind a spear that upon being thrown snows down ice as it goes that damages things.
    "All things must come to an end." "I am but one of many." "Why? Why not!"
  • LinkLink REGISTERED Posts: 62
    Zeklo wrote:
    jon14uk wrote:
    Any enchantments you have in mind I really like fire in general so I probably would make weapons that would cause fire to burn when the enemy is hit. Hey I have a idea for a enchantment lets use a sword for example most sword enchantments in any game are vary similar as in I hit you you catch fire right.

    Well what if we had special enchantments that added ways for weapons to be used differently like a fire enchantment that lets me shoot fire from the sword and also would cause fire damage when I cut a enemy. So with a fire blast from the sword I would just switch the modes like how the spear right now has a throw mode and a strike mode could work like that to a blast mode and a melee mode/normal.

    I am only using fire as a example but here is a logical way to balance that enchantment. When you use the blast it would drain you weapons power a lot faster than striking. So you would need to wisely decide when to use it. Also perhaps there could be a way to activate and deactivate the enchantment so you don't waste the energy on like killing a rabbit or a minor enemy.
    Sounds neat. I wouldn't mind a spear that upon being thrown snows down ice as it goes that damages things.

    I like the idea of an enchantment that allows a spear to return to you after you throw it. Since items with durability won't be stackable I think that would be an alternative for people who want to use spears.
  • ZekloZeklo REGISTERED Posts: 344 Seed
    Link wrote:
    I like the idea of an enchantment that allows a spear to return to you after you throw it. Since items with durability won't be stackable I think that would be an alternative for people who want to use spears.
    That would be very useful. Hmmm... oh I have another cool one! A spear (another spear I know..) that once it lands will create a shock-wave in the immediate vicinity.
    "All things must come to an end." "I am but one of many." "Why? Why not!"
  • jon14ukjon14uk REGISTERED Posts: 782 Seed
    what kind of shock wave like. makes a lighting wave or pushes you back or causes the earth to lift up and push you
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    The Military General for xandertopia :D .
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
  • ZekloZeklo REGISTERED Posts: 344 Seed
    jon14uk wrote:
    what kind of shock wave like. makes a lighting wave or pushes you back or causes the earth to lift up and push you
    Yeah I was thinking more a "mini" earthquake.
    "All things must come to an end." "I am but one of many." "Why? Why not!"
  • jon14ukjon14uk REGISTERED Posts: 782 Seed
    yeah that would be awesome like all around it are shards of earth sticking out of the ground and in the middle is the spear in a clear spot . Would be awesome if it would fling someone up into the air when the earth cracks.
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    The Military General for xandertopia :D .
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
  • mmaalex22112mmaalex22112 REGISTERED, Moderator Posts: 171 Seed
    There could be a spell where you cast it and it creates a whip of lighting.
    Or fire or cold or air.
    Also like we know the common forces of magic like fire ice wind and air, but what if there was like Tesla powers or Nova or sound waves.
    For example for the tesla powers they would be like lightning except more of a ranged trap as opposed to the common lighting bolt and such
    For Nova you could use powers of the cosmos and bend gravity. You could create small stars and blast them. You could control matter and Stuff like that.
    And for the sound waves you could blast people. You could stun them and such.
    Well I contributed.
    a1i938.jpg
  • WingidonWingidon REGISTERED Posts: 1,128 Seed
    Elemental whips? I approve 'em! Won't use that stuff, but it must be there so more awesome stuff can be used thanks to magic!
    I sexually identify as a set of knight full plate armor. I hope you can accept me the way I am; otherwise, check your armor privileges.
  • Red AgliatorRed Agliator REGISTERED Posts: 307 Seed
    Maybe shadow-themed magic, at least partly stealth-based? Being able to step into a shadow to become harder to find, 'wrapping yourself' in shadows, 'shadow-walking', having extra ways to interact with objects sitting in a shadow, heck, maybe even being able to bring on cloud shadows out of nowhere to change the mood of the day.

    Also, a completely unrelated mental image: setting points of light to circling a friend, sort of like magical fireflies. For that matter, other ways to interact or "play" with folks. Random thoughts: make a pyramid of berries on their bed when they're not looking, make grass grow or the ground turn red in their footsteps for a few paces, suddenly having a small bird following them until they take the message it's carrying, changing hair color briefly...little harmless tidbits like that. Some of the cantrips from AD&D come to mind.
  • ZekloZeklo REGISTERED Posts: 344 Seed
    Maybe shadow-themed magic, at least partly stealth-based? Being able to step into a shadow to become harder to find, 'wrapping yourself' in shadows, 'shadow-walking', having extra ways to interact with objects sitting in a shadow, heck, maybe even being able to bring on cloud shadows out of nowhere to change the mood of the day.

    Also, a completely unrelated mental image: setting points of light to circling a friend, sort of like magical fireflies. For that matter, other ways to interact or "play" with folks. Random thoughts: make a pyramid of berries on their bed when they're not looking, make grass grow or the ground turn red in their footsteps for a few paces, suddenly having a small bird following them until they take the message it's carrying, changing hair color briefly...little harmless tidbits like that. Some of the cantrips from AD&D come to mind.
    I myself love shadow magic, so any of that is great! Similar to what you said about magical fireflies circling a friend. An alternative would be cool to have something similar to tag players that are foes. So if players walk through or someone uses a certain spell on them it would show. That way certain people can see players that have been tagged with "dangerous" or whatever.
    "All things must come to an end." "I am but one of many." "Why? Why not!"
  • jon14ukjon14uk REGISTERED Posts: 782 Seed
    I think we should start discussing passive magics that could be used just for fun non-harmful reasons or beneficial ones.
    I was thinking of maybe alteration magics to change one materiel into another or magic that could change the color of a object for a short time. Also I think healing magic is a must have I like healing spells that let me heal others including creatures and plants.
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    The Military General for xandertopia :D .
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
  • ZekloZeklo REGISTERED Posts: 344 Seed
    Hmmm... ok. I mean, I like a life-steal sort of thing. That doesn't necessary mean just players, could be taking the life from fauna or whatever. It is self-beneficial but still harmful I guess... hmmm let me think. An iron skin spell would be cool. Turning your player to iron for a short period of time granting extra defense but slow speed. Maybe the ability to draw animals near in a set radius. It would neat to have the ability to pass through thin walls. I don't know, my creative mind is not very... creative right now.


    EDIT: Turns out enchanting is in fact planned or at least was back at kickstarter.
    "All things must come to an end." "I am but one of many." "Why? Why not!"
  • AuraAura REGISTERED Posts: 15 Seed
    These are my suggestions on how to make magic thingy-ma-bobbers in TUG.
    You could start off by collecting various arcane objects, such as flowers and ore,
    then purifying the items - be it crushing, melting, imbuing, whatever.
    By doing that, you get arcane fluids - maybe like the fluid in a Penseive?
    Anyway, it would describe the containers attached to various concept art characters - they contain magical fluid that fuels their spells.
    So I am suggesting something similar to TC2 / essentia distillation in TC4.
    As an advanced mage, maybe you could use other materials (found rarely in Eternus or in the Core / Shadowland) that allow you to make more advanced materials, or make the already existent ones faster and more efficient.



    Sorry for my awful image creation skills, I made this in about 10 minutes.
    I do Minecraft, TUG (of course), Portal (I and II), and occasionally TF2 and HAWKEN.
    I can't even decide on a single username, so I have multiple of 'em.
    YAY! Chocolate!
2»
Sign In or Register to comment.