Spell/magic suggestions by community.

jon14ukjon14uk REGISTERED Posts: 782 Seed
edited August 2014 in Lore & Theories
Hi so I have looked around and could not find any threads that really talk just about magic and spells besides Ars. What I would like us as a community to do is to post any idea for a magic spell in this thread that you think would be awesome to have. the ideas can be as crazy as you want or simple as can be this will just be a place to spit ball thoughts.

Even if it seems like it wouldn't work in game still share your idea's perhaps if this thread gets plenty of responses the devs might find some inspiration in it for when they develop the magic systems in TUG or maybe even some modders might too.

I will start by sharing some ideas I think would be sweet even though I have said them before for the sake of this thread I will just say them again :)

I think some kind of nature magic class would be so fun
some spells for it could being able to transform into any animal in game or at least almost any. I picture it working like you befriend a animal and only if you have unlocked this type of spell you would be able to use it.

so you would befriend a animal and gain its power and shape then you would be able to transform into said animal a novice at the magic could only turn into the animal for a short time while a master could stay in the form almost as long as he/she wants

Second idea is fast growing plants. this would work by throwing down some seeds of a tree and then using your magic you could cause the tree to grow extremely fast this spell could be used for building,farming,trapping,or escaping imagine your in a cave being chased by bandits you thrown a line of seeds down and poof a barrier giving you plenty of time to escape. A novice with this spell could make the trees grow fast but not as fast as a master also the novice could only make the plants so strong and the plants have a chance of decaying much easier. While a master with the magic could make plants grow huge and strong as steel.
For another Nature spell there should be some abilities to move the plants or push them out of your way so if you were fighting another druid he/she could counter your tree wall depending on the skill of said wizard.

I also love avatar the airbender and earth bending is one of my favorite things to see but in most games earth magic seems to come out of no where like when you shoot a boulder and the rock just appears. I think since the ground is made of voxels it would be crazy if you could pull chunks of earth from the ground and hurl it at your enemy. or even cause gaint rock walls and barriers this type of magic could also be used for more than just attacking and defending. You could use a earth bending like spell to build homes or move threw caves and make your own tunnels. this magic could be balanced by needing certain components in order to perform it in advanced forms.

I will most deferentially post more ideas on magic spells I think are neat and i hope some of my fellow wizard will as well. what ever you think of share it with all of us maybe it will find a place in the game one day. :)
t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
4.jpg
The Military General for xandertopia :D .
Overseers
keepers of Balance
the Fist of Glory
Ars Arcanus
Purus Aeternam
Naturam Universitatis

Comments

• ZekloZeklo REGISTERED Posts: 344 Seed
    Glad to see this is up! I can't post much at the time, but I most certainly will when ideas hit me!
    "All things must come to an end." "I am but one of many." "Why? Why not!"
  • Re EvolutionRe Evolution REGISTERED Posts: 1,105 Seed
    viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1215
    Promoting my own thread ftw!
    5.jpg
    Your thread is great for explaining how creating spells and how spells would work. This thread is great for what those spells would be. IMO at least.
  • jon14ukjon14uk REGISTERED Posts: 782 Seed
    Zeklo wrote:
    Your thread is great for explaining how creating spells and how spells would work. This thread is great for what those spells would be. IMO at least.

Its fine with me if any one wants to share there ideas about how they think magic could work. I kinda just thought re was sharing the link so he doesn't have to write it over again. any magic related ideas can go here :)
    speaking of ideas I wonder if they will add a system where you can mix magics together to make worse or better spells like fire and lighting bolts, or water and earth I think it was Ino but he said they got a lot of inspiration from Magicka. what if you mixed a eagle aspect form and fire to become a phoenix :o
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
  • WingidonWingidon REGISTERED Posts: 1,128 Seed
    Hm, the plant-growing power can be suposedly obtained with the speculated spell-casting glove. Like some specific combination of orbs can allow you to blast of a plant growth spray thing.

Then there are magicks. We need something similar to the magicks from Magicka, but I cannot think of any way to make such stuff to happen.
    lol mix necromancy with nature and get death vines like dead plants that are poisons.

You all know the thing I talked about with decaying animals how cool would it be if there was a spell that would allow you to see where corpses are or dead creature's. You would activate the spell and see a dark aura around dead things that could be a way to search for resources and test subjects the darker the aura the more decayed it is.

Also what if in tug you could cut up creatures well what if you cut the arm off a bear and then have it resurrected wouldn't it be cool if it was still decayed looking and missing a arm. wouldn't it be even sweeter if you could take said bear arm and place it on a dead seed with out a arm and res that seed so now it has like a bear arm giving it more power to destroy your foes.

Since I am talking about resurrecting there should be like some holy magic that brings a seed back to life but rejuvenates it also so its not a monster just alive maybe a spell like that could only work on freshly killed creatures and people.

I think the difference in a necromantic spell and a holy one is a necromancy spell would bring any form of dead to life but they would be mindless a holy spell would bring the living back but restore free will. wonder what would happen if you used a holy resurrection spell on a zombie raised by a necromancer?
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
    Hmm I have been posting a lot maybe I should take a break nah. :shock: I wonder since we have been told magic will be more resource based with like runes or something idk what any way I wonder if all magic will be like that. Perhaps there is a pure form of just magicka pure energy magic like the most basic and simple form. Perhaps that type of magic takes only energy and nothing else if something like energy magic was to work I would hope there would be different spells for it like I assume a basic blast would be common but what about like a magicka shield that repels all magic depending on the skill of the wizard or super magicka bomb that could destroy building's and land and only the most powerful pure energy user's could pull off I would like if you could super charge spells and make them really strong and destructive.

Also I think a spell for flight would be cool also defiantly would help with building .
    Honestly I want to make a seed that is like Goku :D hehe just sharing ideas but how cool would that be to have a super strong warrior that can shoot energy blast at the enemy.
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
  • Nuclear RussianNuclear Russian REGISTERED Posts: 424 Seed
    I know I got some negative reception for this, but maybe a crafting option for mages besides enchanting:
    viewtopic.php?f=31&t=575&hilit=Eldar

Summoning a material(s) to craft with, and then molding it to the right shape.
    Knowledge is power, Guard it well - Blood Ravens battle cry

"Re-evolution: Sound like a blast"
    "Me: It will be"
    13.jpg
  • AmonostAmonost REGISTERED Posts: 111 Seed
    It would be cool to see some sort of persistent area of effect magic.

Some ideas I have are: illusions, buff/debuff zones, DamageOverTime zones, wards, traps, and force field effects.
    They should require a magical power source to function and if they lose power they stop functioning.

Maybe there could be some sort of magical logic system where certain items connected and arranged in a certain way create an effect when given a source of power.
    6.jpg
    that would be cool what if there was like a magic force field illusion that would like hide a area so if you had a castle hidden by this magic on the out side of the bubble it would just look like the surrounding areas. Until you walk inside then you could see whats on the inside and you would also be able to look out but people cant look in.
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
    wonder if we could have a magical ward or device that would resurrect with full strength rebuilding your body after you die permanently. I don't see why we couldn't only those that figured out this magic could use it so i doubt it's common enough for any one to use and it would be a huge pain to die from falling off a cliff or getting stuck in a hole and losing all your skills.
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
  • Absolute_bearzerkAbsolute_bearzerk REGISTERED Posts: 30 Seed
    what about a spell that you would be able to show of throw from your wand or staff a sphere like projectile that would have a arc going up then go down and holding the firing key down would make it go farther and as soon as it hits something it would sort of puff up in a large sphere and push anyone in it or right next to it out as it expands. thoughts?
    hehe that would be cool like a magical grenade balloon right. I like that you could push someone over a cliff or trap them in a room till they are crushed maybe even different shapes. would be cool do if you could stand on it so you could shoot one down jump on it and let it inflate if you needed to get somewhere high.

Also what if we could shoot temporary magical platforms so you could create a staircase out of magicka for a short time or even trap someone in a magic made cave lol then put a expanding sphere in and just let them suffer :twisted:
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
  • SmartyOf95SmartyOf95 REGISTERED Posts: 394
    Amonost wrote:
    It would be cool to see some sort of persistent area of effect magic.

Some ideas I have are: illusions, buff/debuff zones, DamageOverTime zones, wards, traps, and force field effects.
    They should require a magical power source to function and if they lose power they stop functioning.

Maybe there could be some sort of magical logic system where certain items connected and arranged in a certain way create an effect when given a source of power.

*Rubs hands together in preparation*

I see that as a form of enchanting Amonost. So if you wanted to magically conceal the entrance to your base, you'd enchant the door, or whatever so it blends in with the surrounding rock (Dwarven doors FTW!).
    Imo this should require some sort of tether to an elemental orb of the appropriate type for the enchantment, for instance, the concealed door would need to be tethered to a light orb to function. The question then is: 'How does the enchantment get it's energy?'

The way I see orbs working is merely as a tool. They don't contain energy, merely convert energy channeled through it in a particular way. For a mage this means channeling mana through it. For enchantments, I can see it working two ways. You use energy from the surrounding environment to power the enchantment and it slowly kills off the surrounding lifeforms (depending on how much energy the enchantment needs), or you can trap a wisp and force it to channel it's power into your magics (or perhaps if your nice, the wisp might help you if you ask (idk if that will be possible)).

I like Re's system involving runes, it's simple, yet seems a very versatile system.
    - Member of the Arcane Council, the Ruling body of Ars Arcanus.
  • Ashen44Ashen44 REGISTERED Posts: 207 Seed
    I saw phoenix somewhere in here. thats all I care about.
    (if you haven't noticed I love phoenix's)
    The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The optimist sees it half full. The engineer sees the glass as twice as big as it needs to be.
    Hmm I would of never suspected lol I was saying if in tug we could combine spells together and make crazy combinations so what would happen if you combined a fire aura and a eagle form together.
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
    What are some good stealth magics I think being able to see people threw walls is a good start.
    Or what about mind reading you could like scan a animals brain to see if it senses you near by.
    Deferentially need like invisibility or some kind of cloak.
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
  • SmartyOf95SmartyOf95 REGISTERED Posts: 394
    I like the idea of a chameleon spell :D Don't want it to be OP though so maybe it would only work while you're standing still? Nice and powerful, but with limitations.
    - Member of the Arcane Council, the Ruling body of Ars Arcanus.
    A Astral projection spell would be cool if you could leave your body and become a wisp. Then as a wisp you could be mischievous or maybe travel to the shadow realm and the core without being harmed physically the down side is you cant touch physical object.
    So you could go to places and figure out puzzles or scout maybe wisp form is the only way to communicate with spirits and gain hidden knowledge of the great beyond.
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
    SmartyOf95 wrote:
    I like the idea of a chameleon spell :D Don't want it to be OP though so maybe it would only work while you're standing still? Nice and powerful, but with limitations.

Or maybe when you are standing still You are completely hidden but when you move it would look like light rippling threw you like a wave so you can see that someone is there but it would still be challenging like at night.
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
  • NekochuNekochu REGISTERED Posts: 244 Developer
    We're getting close to some systems that will start using "magic" elements to them so keep the thread active and I'll definitely be listening!
    Twitter: @X_Nekochu_X
    Tumblr: xnekochux
    Dang Neko going on a answer spree :D I think people will end up imagining some crazy spell idea's.

I had a idea where you could bring inanimate objects to life and they will do your bidding and fly around
    depending on the object. so you could be like in a wizard tower with your books and brooms flying around and be like Merlin commanding them to follow you. Or you could posses a enemies armor while he is still in it crushing him inside or just taking them prisoner also making weapons come alive so you could command swords to fly right into something/someone.

I would totally sing the song while using the spell.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bd5YUEOwlE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75BJ2ovo-S0
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
    jon14uk wrote:
    Dang Neko going on a answer spree :D I think people will end up imagining some crazy spell idea's.

I had a idea where you could bring inanimate objects to life and they will do your bidding and fly around
    depending on the object. so you could be like in a wizard tower with your books and brooms flying around and be like Merlin commanding them to follow you. Or you could posses a enemies armor while he is still in it crushing him inside or just taking them prisoner also making weapons come alive so you could command swords to fly right into something/someone.

I would totally sing the song while using the spell.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bd5YUEOwlE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75BJ2ovo-S0
    I myself would use the armor control as a defense mechanism. Decorating my interiors with armor sets that can come alive at will. Sounds like something I would really enjoy.
    How about spells where you could clone one's self. While in combat spells like these would come in handy or when you are attempting to flea because if their was 10 or even 3 exact copies of you it would be vary hard for enemies to know which you is the real you mainly because their is no name tag above you so you could use that to your advantage.

Maybe the clones could be commanded or set for specific jobs. Different skill levels of the mage could determine how many clones you can have and for how long it also would judge things like how many hits they can take, How strong their attacks are, and ability to be commanded to do a task. They might even be stubborn at first.

Another clone idea is the shadow clone creating a passive illusion spell creating a clone that kinda looks like you but almost like its not moving or alive just standing there with what ever pose you made. It can,t attack and one hit makes it vanish. This spell could be vary helpful if I was a master with this magic I could strategically place shadow clones in battle ready poses then tricking a guy into some rocky valley where I set up like 50 shadow clones he would be so confused then i could get the jump on him.

The spell would be activated by you casting the spell then what you do is pick a pose maybe crouching or mid swing but you have to time it right because after you activate the spell you have like 6 second to make a pose. This way you could make weapon swing poses or mid air jumping poses.

Well thats all I can think up right now I just gassed out on :D IMAGINATION :D
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
    Spell Suggestion Bending
    Hello :D I have been watching this season of legend of Korra and I have to admit the avatar series is like one of my favorite shows of all time. I would like to make a suggestion for spells that I feel just makes since and would look awesome and that is having to use resources to do elemental spells.

So how would this work well I am not sure exactly since Tugs Magic is kind of a mystery but I lets assume you have the spell for shooting a boulder at someone this is what should happen. You Aim at the ground lock onto the ground pull up a big chunk of earth then you hurl it simple right. This would go for any earth spell like a rock barrier or crater maybe even a mud wave. It also would apply to other elements too.

So water/ice spells would need water, earth would need earth as in ground or any kind of mineral really, air would need air which shouldn't be a problem unless your in space :P , and fire would need fire I am not sure how I feel about fire maybe if you could carry something lets say a torch or just be near some kind of fire maybe a ancient artifact that lets you just make it but still resource based.

I feel kind of bad that I have been making so many suggestions and making big walls of text but I just think something like this would fit into Tug and make it unique to video games.
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
  • AvaeraAvaera REGISTERED Posts: 29
    I'm not very well versed on TUGs current lore, but I like the idea of magic that emerges from permutations of some special characteristic following original laws and logic.

Maybe it is stringing certain runes together in a particuar sequence, or placing them in certain geometric patterns that can be read by the game's magic engine to alter the physical laws of an object, the environment or a player in a certain way. Get the right combination (which could change depending on external factors like the target, energy source, time, season, size and so on), and a spell effect applies. Get the wrong combination, and either nothing could happen or you get some very unexpected results.

For example, maybe one pattern equates to reducing the gravity coefficient. Applied to an object, it could levitate. Applied to an area, it could prevent falling damage and increase jump height. Applied to an animal or player, it could allow flight. Another pattern might manipulate the draw distance of game obejcts. On an object, this might make it invisible close up. On an area, this might produce a 'fog' that conceals smaller objects. On an animal or player, this might make them temporarily blinded, or if the pattern was inverted, temporarily far-sighted. Another pattern might transmute wind to lava. On a weapon, this might provide a flaming damage enchantment. On an area, it might be a trap that effectively fireballs enemies who move through it. On an animal or player, it might give a dragon's breath fire attack for a short time.

I like the idea of exploring game lore to figure out the permutations, especially if they involve some fun trial and error and the more complex effects are somewhat dynamic depending on how you apply them and to what target (to reduce the usefulness of wiki-lists). I also *really* like the idea of minimizing the use of the 'basic elements' tropes that seem to persist in a lot of magical systems (fire magic, water magic, etc), and directly manipulating the physics of the game seems like a good definition of magic to me!
    My ideas have been not as good as I would have hoped recently but I'll give it a go.

What about a spell that can only be down in a forest that on use will root the caster down. Then allowing them to summon root tendrils to attack their foes. It would do significant damage at the down side and not being able to move.
    I rarely ever double post but I think this is worth it.

"Environmental Armor"

Upon cast this spell would use its surroundings to create armor around the caster. Depending on the area you would create a different "armor". Plains would create a light weight armor causing little protection but no disability to movement. Rather than the complete opposite of being in a cave. Which instead would great a stronger armor that slows down the player. As the player gets hit parts of the armor will fall off until eventually all that is left is the player.

Its a really raw idea at the moment but I think in theory it would be cool.

EDIT: Well since this is the spell suggestion thread I'll put my shadow step suggestion here (copy pasta style)
    It would work like the nether in minecraft. Upon using the spell (can only be used if submerged in darkness or something like that) you are warped to a seperate dimension where every 1 step is equal to... lets say 12 in the real world. So when you return you'll have been propelled way forward (just make sure you went the right way!). However the longer you stay you will begin to get bad effects, worsening as you stay. The dark arts are extremely powerful but extremely dangerous.
  • LinkLink REGISTERED Posts: 62
    I really want to see spells that revolve around life-stealing. There could easily be a spell that temporally adds life-steal to your weapon, or one that is an AoE that sucks the life out of opponents.
    Link wrote:
    I really want to see spells that revolve around life-stealing. There could easily be a spell that temporally adds life-steal to your weapon, or one that is an AoE that sucks the life out of opponents.
    Or maybe rather than a temporary life-steal-to-weapon-spell. Maybe some sort of enchanting system... not called enchanting so people don't whine: "Copied minecraft" Could be called imbuing, that will add special attributes to weapons and armor.

Back to spells though, life-steal spells are one of the must haves. An AoR life steal could be a might over powered but maybe the cost would be high. (not gonna say mana cost because there magic system may not use "a mana". If they do I hope its called something else like Spiritual Energy or something. As long as its not mana.)