Where does your handle come from?

GazelleGazelle REGISTERED, Vakaethei Posts: 35 Golem
edited January 2015 in Off Topic
It's what we all know each other by on the forums [well, that and all the cute little Seedling faces everyone has made for themselves]. So where does your name come from?

Me: I've been using Gazelle as a nickname online and offline since I was about 12 [WHICH IS LIKE, HALF MY LIFE, OH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS?]. It references the fact I'm fairly tall [5'11], have long legs, and do this sort of "deer in the headlights" gaze thing when people tried to get my attention. [strike]also I have horns.[/strike] It's stuck since then and I always try to use some variant of it [Gazzi, Gazzy, Gaxi, Gaiazelle, Yggiazelle, etc.] when I game now.

uvFPK4L.jpg

WHAT ABOUT YOU GUYS?
xG2TON8.jpg

Comments

• TestamentofTestamentof REGISTERED Posts: 1,234 Seed
    I've had my handle for about 8-9 years now, ever since I discovered Zone of the Enders: Fist of Mars. Testament is the name of one of the frames (ie, giant fighting robots) and the of is the type of Frame it is.
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
  • SkittlesSkittles REGISTERED, Developers Posts: 44 Developer
    you know, I'll join in on this (still need to comment on the other one and post up pictures of my aminals).

Skittles is a pretty easy name to recognize it's origin, everyone knows that brand of candy kernals that are juicy, fruity, and look like bloated M&Ms. Well, I obtained the nickname thanks to a shirt I got from Akumal Mexico while on a family vacation back in 2003, this specific shirt was an Hawaiian shirt that began dark purple on the trim at the bottom, and gradated through all the colors of the rainbow to red at the collar. During my college days at the Art Institute of Dallas where I got my degree in Media Arts & Animation (I graduated as an animator, who'da thought : P), I happened to wear my colorful rainbow shirt a fair few times, what started out as a few people calling me Skittles, turned into a nick name that stuck.

Stylized self portrait v
    e341f37798d01287a3aa4f7fecb028d3.jpg

Yes... I drew this after I had unwittingly jumped into a pool forgetting my phone was still in my pocket... it was a *facepalm* sorta day.

I was also playing Grim Fandango at the time as well... thus the choice of stylization
  • spacedotspacedot REGISTERED Posts: 416 Seed
    wanted a new ingame name from what i used to use so i looked at my keyboard. spacebar and del. space and dot.
  • SmartyOf95SmartyOf95 REGISTERED Posts: 394
    I got the nickname Smarty from school on the first day of year seven, during HSIE (can't remember what it stands for, but it's joint geography and history) when another teacher walks in during our lesson to talk to our teacher. He realises we're the new years sevens and says something along the lines of "You guys should be excited, you'll be learning about ancient Egypt, chemicals, Pythagoras's theorum and loads of other stuff". me being unusually vocal say something along the lines of "I know about Pythagorus's Theorum! The widest angle of a triangle is opposite to the hypotenuse" Teachers looks mildly bemused, but the rest of the class seem impressed, especially the idiotic disruptive types, who dub me smarty (I think it was meant to be mean, but I didn't catch on and it stuck for the rest of school.).

Normally I go by Smarty95, but it seems someone else had the same handle as me so I changed it to SmartyOf95.
    - Member of the Arcane Council, the Ruling body of Ars Arcanus.
  • FreemanFreeman REGISTERED Posts: 141
    My handle doesn't really have an interesting backstory or a creative reasoning behind it. I just wanted an Xbox Live handle that didn't stick out like a sore thumb or had any unnecessary numbers, so I picked Freeman PhD. It's based off of the main character of the Half Life series, Gordon Freeman, who is a PhD.

It just so happens that most of the time, other forums or whatever don't have the name picked so I can generally get a nice no frills name. Obviously no one's gonna bother to say the PhD part in the name so most everyone who knows me over the internet now knows me as Freeman.
  • Re EvolutionRe Evolution REGISTERED Posts: 1,105 Seed
    Back when I was twelve, me and a couple of my real life friends wanted to make a Call of Duty clan. We brainstormed, and came up with the 'Re' beginning. My friend chose Re Equilibrium, so I went with Re Evolution. And it stuck.
    5.jpg
  • AmonostAmonost REGISTERED Posts: 111 Seed
    My junior year of High School I had a sudden urge to try and learn Tolkien Elvish. I learned a few words and even fewer phrases. Needless to say I didn't get very far and sorta left it at that.
    A few years later I got the itch to try again and while searching the internet I found a site that gave the Elven equivalent of English names. It showed the meaning of/behind the name then the Elvish mash-up that meant roughly the same thing. I double checked other sources and sure enough it was accurate.
    Ever since then I've used Amonost as a handle.
    6.jpg
  • FrostTheTacticianFrostTheTactician REGISTERED Posts: 176 Seed
    Short answer; I was thinking of something to name my character in a nuzlocke run of Pokemon soul silver a couple of years ago and in the end settled on "Frost" which was a variation on a nickname I had as a child. After a while I got into the habit of using it as my default name for game characters meant to represent me, but I was still using something else as my default username (kab95-my real-life initials and birth year) I had disliked it for a while though as it seemed kind of bland, so when I was creating my account for the old NK forums I decided to take advantage of the low amount of registered usernames and call myself something a little more memorable, "Frost". As for why I call myself something else now, well I was unable to register my old name in the new forums for some reason, so I came up with "FrostTheTactican" to represent my love of strategy games (though admittedly it was probably more influenced more by the fact that I was replaying fire emblem: awakening at the time).
    ea15zq.jpg

"Feign inferiority, exploit their arrogance."
  • WingidonWingidon REGISTERED Posts: 1,128 Seed
    So faaaar back in the days, I was interested on that Stick Wars II flash game, and I was short of following the blog for that time.

And then in the planned units there was this guy:
    Wingidon_-_Copy.jpg
    Yup, called "Wingidon", some short of evil flying archer.
    Some amount of time later (some year(s?) or something), I used the username "Wingideon" on Spiral Knights (I added the "e" because... dunno).

And much, much later (about when I began playing AirBuccaneers, possibly), I began forgetting my main username "Rofley" (comes from "Rofl", and the "ey" is to sound a bit more cutey), and starting to adopt Wingidon as my main username.

To my luck, the original wingidon's name has been changed to a different one, so now this name is short of completely MINE!
  • GazelleGazelle REGISTERED, Vakaethei Posts: 35 Golem
    (though admittedly it was probably more influenced more by the fact that I was replaying fire emblem: awakening at the time).

WHO DID YOU MARRY?

Also: these are really neat stories, guys! :3 It's cool to hear how everyone's name has manifested over their gaming years.
    xG2TON8.jpg
  • PhobosEtDeimosPhobosEtDeimos REGISTERED Posts: 25
    Wow, you guys really have some awesome nicknames ^^
    I decided to be PhobosEtDeimos because they are not only two moons of Mars (Sience, Woot)
    but also two gods from the Greek mythology, representing fear, dread, terror and flight. Sounds not
    so nice, hu?
    But since they are the twin sons of Ares (God of war) and Aphrodite(Goddess of love) they also
    represent the fear of loss, something everyone has.
    And I kinda liked that twist so I stuck with that, [strike]since my name is to short to create nicknames from[/strike] -.-
    21.jpg
  • PamcakesPamcakes REGISTERED Posts: 738
    Wow I never told mine? I guess not. Well, in my old COD days (15yrsold), one of my friends started calling me Pamcakes. Those were also the MySpace days, SO NATURALLY he was in my top 8 and the name starting catching between my other friends (both irl & online) and hi here I am.
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
  • The-ancient-WarriorThe-ancient-Warrior REGISTERED Posts: 45
    Got mine from playing world of warcraft and some people caling me walletgod Or was it josiah i'm not very sure what i was called in the old forums however i did create the horses as mounts suggestion in the transportation thread I think I don't really remember what I did in the old forums.
    Ps wallet god or josiah was my old acount in the old forums my current one is The-ancient-warrior wich i got from playing several games and finally coming up with my current nickname
    15.jpg
  • glitch2210glitch2210 REGISTERED Posts: 311
    So i created the User Name back when i used to do a lot of programming in HS.

i had one friend i sat next to in my programming class freshmen year of HS, and we where miles ahead of the class so we just make our own projects all day. it was great because im shit at syntax but im great at figuring out algorithms and Debugging. so i always used to joke, about the glitches in his code.

long story short i decided i wanted people to look at my screen name and think for a second OH NO something has gone wrong there is a Glitch in the system! (people where a lot less computer savvy in the 00's)

The Number came around when i kept bumping into the problem of "Glitch" already being taken. so i decided i would add a number so it would actually look more like an error report. i thought i picked 2210 at random but latter realized the number stuck in my head after playing Risk 2210 (its Risk but in the Future lol) and i just really liked the sound of it.

a bit long winded but hey i like my name a lot =P

tumblr_nagb0tpdL61tji1iso1_500.png
  • RinRin REGISTERED Posts: 668 Seed
    could've sworn i had mentioned this elsewhere, but since i cannot find the thread, oh well.
    my nickname for tug comes from RinYing, my entire handle, which to me means human. the reason why it means human is that i was playing around with joining steam, and before steam i had used a variety of names but the most common was darkarrow64.
    i wanted to create an original name that no-one had used before so i started twisting the words of yin-yang around. yin-yang, yin-ying, rin-ying, rin-ring... rinying. huh, that sounds good, let's go with that. toss in the limited taoist lore i knew about yin-yang, and it became to me light/dark mixed together to form a grayish color, a thing of both light and dark, capable of inflicting great good or great harm, a human in the truest since of the word to me.
    i've used it on WoT, steam, countless random MMO's ranging from anarchy online to vindictus to UWO, and most recently, on NK. i shortened it because in WoT people continously called me "ringying", for some unknown reason. i also found out that Rin is a popular girls name in japan as well as an obsolete currency, but eh, i like it so i'm gonna keep using it for the shorter Rin-ying.
    YinYangBody-YinYangSymbol.jpg
    Warthunder, TUG and world of tanks fan/beta tester.
    member of The Lemurian empire and the Merchants guild
    Soon to be alchemist/apothecary in TUG
    20.jpg
  • ValidifyedValidifyed REGISTERED Posts: 612 Seed
    "Hmm.. I need a username that dosent suck as much as my old ones... -Comes up with random words and syllables mashed together- hu... validifyed sounds good" - yep, thats pretty much it...

On a vaguely more interesting note I often use the character name "Harker" (Validifyed isent really a good character name...) which is a skew of my first and middle name.
  • Nuclear RussianNuclear Russian REGISTERED Posts: 424 Seed
    I hold strong beliefs for nuclear power as a transitioning method from fossil fuels to renewable energy sources, in terms of electricity, and I acknowledge my Russian roots, hence Nuclear Russian.

Also, am a fan of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series, a Ukranian game set in Post-apocalyptic Chernobyl.
    Knowledge is power, Guard it well - Blood Ravens battle cry

"Re-evolution: Sound like a blast"
    "Me: It will be"
    13.jpg
  • TestamentofTestamentof REGISTERED Posts: 1,234 Seed
    I hold strong beliefs for nuclear power as a transitioning method from fossil fuels to renewable energy sources, in terms of electricity, and I acknowledge my Russian roots, hence Nuclear Russian.

Also, am a fan of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series, a Ukranian game set in Post-apocalyptic Chernobyl.

Nuclear power isn't that much better because the pollution and waste from both mining it and using it is nearly as bad as Fossil fuels. It's much more effective, but using it creates radioactive waste which is incredibly difficult to get rid of properly, so far as I know (and do correct me if I'm wrong) we don't have a way of making the radioactive slugde that is the by-product of Nuclear Fission (the more commonly (again, to the best of my knowledge) used reaction). Nuclear Fusion reactors would be great, but I believe (again again, I could be wrong) making them and fueling them is Immensely difficult.

...And then I looked at the thread topic *facepalm*

Also, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., so far as I remember, is Post-Area got messed up supremely, not post-apoc. Still just as bad, but not as a whole. Metro 2033, that's Post-Apoc
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
  • RinRin REGISTERED Posts: 668 Seed

Nuclear power isn't that much better because the pollution and waste from both mining it and using it is nearly as bad as Fossil fuels. It's much more effective, but using it creates radioactive waste which is incredibly difficult to get rid of properly, so far as I know (and do correct me if I'm wrong) we don't have a way of making the radioactive slugde that is the by-product of Nuclear Fission (the more commonly (again, to the best of my knowledge) used reaction). Nuclear Fusion reactors would be great, but I believe (again again, I could be wrong) making them and fueling them is Immensely difficult.

...And then I looked at the thread topic *facepalm*

Also, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., so far as I remember, is Post-Area got messed up supremely, not post-apoc. Still just as bad, but not as a whole. Metro 2033, that's Post-Apoc
    fusion reactors can be made in a basement. it's fusion reactors that produce more than they consume that is the difficult part.
    Warthunder, TUG and world of tanks fan/beta tester.
    member of The Lemurian empire and the Merchants guild
    Soon to be alchemist/apothecary in TUG
    20.jpg
  • nocarenocare REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 92 Seed
    Years ago I went by another name online. But this one was born one day in a pout of frustration.
    I was playing the combat arms first beta (or alpha?). Like 1 map and a brutal currency system which I quickly messed up with and couldn't support buying the non-default gun.

So made a new account, no f's were given when prompted to create a character name. So Nocare was born. New consistent online friends who knew me as nocare sealed my usage of the name :D

Then I let my old name die with the J!nx forums, and sadly, the community/family.
  • CogCog REGISTERED Posts: 110 Seed
    edited March 2016
    [Deleted]
  • Hoppa_JoelHoppa_Joel REGISTERED Posts: 191 Seed
    My nick name comes from my old pen and paper D&D days when I used to DM.
    Lets see, Hoppa Joel is now about 31 years old hehe.. and originally an NPC.
    But I still recall the adventure, and then "need" to create an NPC to "help the players.."
    Hoppa was a hobbit multiclassed feller ( thief/bard) And the Sherriff of a small Hobbit town.
    I started using Hoppa online many years later in games with hobbits/halflings.
    In 2007, Lord of the Rings Online came out, and Hoppa became my main character. I've written and self published a book of short stories about Hoppa and his friends, ( on lulu.com ) based in the pen and paper world I'd created way back when.
  • ZakeZake REGISTERED Posts: 216 Seed
    I was in cross country in high school, and the new coach kept calling me Zach (my real name's Jake). Oddly enough, almost every time someone gets my name wrong, they independently default to Zach. Anyways eventually she started calling me Zake as a compromise, and my teammates started picking it up too. In most communities you'll find me as Zakerunner, but TUG had such a small community when I registered that the name "Zake" wasn't yet taken.

Whoever usually takes the name Zake will have a nice surprise when/if they come here.
    I think more than I say and say more than I do, but I do more than I used to and plan to continue.
    TUG modder (at least in the ounce of free time that occasionally flits by)
  • reedooreedoo REGISTERED Posts: 151 Seed
    Interesting how a lot of handles have some pretty geek-out back stories.

I originally used the name bilbit - a variation of Filbit the Frog (an old school kids animation). However I was 13 and the internet was a vast and crazy place and I got a rep for being a trouble making moron and all around annoyance. So I changed it to reedoo (redo: second chances) in order to not get booted off IRC and Palace servers servers as I started to grow fond of their micro-communities.

It stuck.

Also - being very young on the internet was actually quite f-ed up. I had a lot of pedophiles get in contact with me, and I learnt to start omitting/lying about my age very quickly. The days of ASL? ASL? ASL!?!?! Hahaha
  • Ashen44Ashen44 REGISTERED Posts: 207 Seed
    I have been gaming since I was 7, and way back then I was addicted to pokemon! I used ash in all my names, alienash, asherian, etc. one day, on an online game, my FIRST online game too, all my usual names were taken up. I tried Ashen but that was taken too. it suggested to me Ashen44, and I took it. since that moment I have used Ashen44 in ALL my game names. at least the ones where I can use numbers. if I can I'm Ashenfourtyfour and if that doesnt fit I'm Ashenforty. plus Ashen sounds sorta cool and it has my initials in it. also I learned last month Ashen is a famous youtuber. that might hinder my youtube career plan a little.
    The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The optimist sees it half full. The engineer sees the glass as twice as big as it needs to be.
  • GodlySlothGodlySloth REGISTERED Posts: 28 Seed
    Well I have a history in being very lazy and Lethargic, so that's where the Sloth part came from. The Godly in GodlySloth comes from one glorious day while I was simply just surfing the web and came across the head of a sloth emerging from a galaxy, this sparked my imagination and I came up with the username GodlySloth and have used it ever since.
    18764.jpg
  • CustosAeternamCustosAeternam REGISTERED Posts: 77 Seed
    Well, this is quite a boring story so I do appologize, my handle has changed significantly over the years (as in it is nothing as it started out as). At first my handle was "Jace", which has nothing to do with my name or anything and is completly random, and eventually I added the last name "Ethaniel" after adding some backstory to the first name; when I was younger (I am ADHD) I always (ALWAYS) played games that utilized my imagination, so Jace was a hero shaped after myself but better in every way.
    Jace was strong, had magic abilities, was great with a sword and bow, and was good at talking to people.
    Jace became "Jace Ethaniel" because in the game (imaginary imagination game :P) Jace was posed with a descicion that would effect all of humanity, his choices were: Ascend into a higher realm and allow other, more powerful, beings to intercede--- Or attempt to release his full power, potentially destroying that realm but also potentially becoming a being of immense power. The descicion was hard, because the release and transformation of his kind of power typically required several beings of equal power to assist in his transformation (or an army of lesser beings); but in the end, he sealed himself away in a small pocket dimension and began the process to become a powerful being on his own and so he took the name "Ethaniel" (which in my made-up language translates roughly into "The Lonesome") and became the secret guardian of the human realm and the most powerful, unassisted, transformed being in over half the recognized realms (which is about 256 of 512 non-chaotic realms).
    Sooo after a few years of that I desided to change my Handle (because it was always taken) to Drake Ethaniel, which didnt last long.
    Then I changed it to Forest Guardian... Also didnt last long and I chose it because of The Legend of Zelda (link was born in a forest and is one of the chosen to guard the triforce).
    And then on Xbox I was UkantSeaMe (Sniper playstyle) and IKanSeaU (Sniper-killer play style).
    And then I got bored of that and switched to Spirit_Guardian for a few years (a Decade) and have used it on almost every game I have played (except where (rarely) it is taken).
    When the new forums rolled out I had decided it was time to start fresh, and I liked Latin, so I made CustosAeternam; which translates (I think) to Eternal Guardian and is still in the original theme of Jace Ethaniel, which is "Secret eternal guardian of mankind".

TLDR: read above for more details.
    -Previously known as "Spirit_Guardian"
    "I will guard the seedlings with my life" -Custos Aeternam
    12.jpg
    4.jpg
  • Lukky3mLukky3m REGISTERED Posts: 44 Seed
    I use lukky since i remember, i think it was llong time ago when for some reason my school friends started call me Luke (my name is Lucas) like starwars, and with the time pass my new friends instead callme luke, they called me Lucky, i don`t know why, so i use lukky to not use lucky...( sorry my english)..'
    21.jpg
    6.jpg
  • DemidevimonDemidevimon REGISTERED Posts: 19 Seed
    I suppose ill add to this topic as well.

Well my Handle is fairly easy to guess it's orgins. But people tend to just call me "Demi"
    Demidevimon is a Digimon from the anime/tv series "Digimon Digital Monster"
    now all Digimon are broken into five attributes Data, Vaccine, Virus, Free, and Variable.
    Most Digimon fall into the first three categories
    Demidevimon is a Virus type and is regarded as evil, but not all virus types are evil.
    DemiDevimon digivolves from Pagumon and can digivolve into Devimon.

my reason for having this as my handle is to prove not all Virus types "or people with a clouded past" have malicious intent
    15.jpg
  • steppinrazorsteppinrazor REGISTERED Posts: 7 Podling
    Heya! I'm new here, and thought that talking about my handle would be a good introduction as well.

I'll start with my handle.

It comes from Neuromancer by William Gibson, one of my favorite books and the book that started my love affair with the cyberpunk genre. Molly Millions is a street samurai, augmented muscle, assassin, or bodyguard for hire. She has inset mirror-shades that encase her entire eye socket, and razor implants under her fingernails that can extend and retract like cat claws.

The space Rastas (literally a space colony of Rastafarians) give her the name Steppin' Razor, a reference to reggae singer Peter Tosh and a play on her razor implants. I'll have to reread what the Rastas actually say as to why she is given the name (it's been a while since I've read it, and the accents are hard to figure out...). Anyway, she's my favorite character and I think it's a cool handle.

A bit about me.

I've always wanted to help test a program and be a part of a community built around that. I delve into the Open-Source/Linux/Freeware communities where there's a lot of early development bug testing. I'm not much of a programmer so I figured alpha and beta testing would be a job I could do. I hope I can be of use!