Player Character Flickering

The ArcanianThe Arcanian REGISTERED Posts: 51 Seed
edited July 2014 in Design
Or "The persistence of player characters, or lack there of, in persistent worlds."

This is something I have thinking about. In persistent worlds, like mmos or public sandbox-survival servers (minecraft, to-be-TUG) where everything (or most everything) is suppose to persistent and continual there is one place that often (always?) starkly lacks these quality's, the player characters. This is often discussed in game-play, "how do we prevent theft when we/they are offline", but in a player driven world there is a story side to it as well, because the game-play IS the story. This brings us to the old question, how do you work with/explain the flickering/impersistence of a player's character in a world that marches on without them?

(I had some more thoughts on this but they flew away and I am not sure how to express them at this time. Curse you disorder of written expression!)
Nerd? You say that like it's an insult.

Please excuse any bad spelling...

Comments

• PuttyPutty REGISTERED, Vakaethei Posts: 24 Golem
    Or "The persistence of player characters, or lack there of, in persistent worlds."

This is something I have thinking about. In persistent worlds, like mmos or public sandbox-survival servers (minecraft, to-be-TUG) where everything (or most everything) is suppose to persistent and continual there is one place that often (always?) starkly lacks these quality's, the player characters. This is often discussed in game-play, "how do we prevent theft when we/they are offline", but in a player driven world there is a story side to it as well, because the game-play IS the story. This brings us to the old question, how do you work with/explain the flickering/impersistence of a player's character in a world that marches on without them?

(I had some more thoughts on this but they flew away and I am not sure how to express them at this time. Curse you disorder of written expression!)

It is mostly never really addressed properly though there are times it becomes part of the game. For example, player housing. You mostly log off there in games like that. Ultima Online, Final Fantasy 11, and i'm sure a ton of other games really approach this method.

Then, there is Age of Wushu where you can set up a stall or your character goes on patrol rounds while you're logged out. The sad part of this is that you can be kidnapped (and are, quite often), stripped of all your money, and forced to scrub hotel floors or bar stalls.
  • The ArcanianThe Arcanian REGISTERED Posts: 51 Seed
    I had been trying to spark more conversation, like explanations/solutions and just general discussion on the subject.
    Nerd? You say that like it's an insult.

Please excuse any bad spelling...