Basic Controls & Tips

NekochuNekochu REGISTERED Posts: 244 Developer
edited December 2014 in Tutorials & Data
Seemed like a good idea to add a thread in here for first-timers or even veterans who might not know all the latest controls or keys for the game.

A robust thread on the keybinds can be found here. But this thread is just for some basic controls you can use while playing in Creative or Survival mode.

First off if you're ever unsure of keybinds, always check your .txt file that stores all of that information.

Config/keybinds.txt

As the game gets updates this can change from time to time but any keys you have rebound or any new keybinds added will be in this file.

Creative Mode

This mode is set up to allow you to set up arenas for survival games or to basically play around in a sandbox mode with all of the objects and materials found in the game.

The features used in survival mode such as crafting, player bars and durability on items are not active in this mode. You'll need to be in a survival map to see these features in action.

"E" opens your inventory and the number keys take you through the available placement modes for objects.

“1” - Terrain Tool
“2” - Select Tool
“3” - Move Tool
“4” - Rotate Tool
“5” - Scale Tool
“6” - Delete Tool
“Ctrl” + “Mouse Scroll” - Scrolls through control tools

Terrain Tool
In this mode, you can place/remove terrain block as usual, and it will not affect game objects. You can only select this mode if you have a terrain block selected to use.

Selection Tool
You can imagine this tool as an "eyedropper" that picks up whatever you select. If it's an object, it picks it up, and switched over to the Move Tool. If it's terrain, it puts that material on the hot bar and switched over to the Terrain Tool. The game also enters this mode by default when you select an empty hot bar slot.

Move Tool
This is the default tool when you are holding an object to place. You can move the object around by moving your character around. Also, if you hold the Right Mouse Button, and move the mouse up and down it will push the object further away or closer to you to help with positioning. Left Mouse Button places the object. This mode is not selectable when using terrain blocks.

Rotate Tool
Moving the mouse rotates the object (specifically around the X and Z axis). If you hold the Right Mouse Button, moving the mouse rotates about the Y axis. Left Mouse Button places the object. This mode is not selectable when using terrain blocks.

Scale Tool
If the object is scalable, moving the mouse forward and backward scales the object up and down. Left Mouse Button places the object. This mode is not selectable when using terrain blocks.

Delete Tool
Left Mouse Button deletes objects in the world. It does not pick them up, it just destroys them. The Delete Tool will not affect terrain.

Survival Games

A lot of the same commands apply in this mode. Once again, check here for a list of all the commands. However this mode is all about survival and crafting is your biggest hurdle to overcome for that survival.

Once you have scavenged some resources you can start to discover what items you can craft. In order to craft, you will need to move items from your inventory to the the ground. Resources are automatically placed into your inventory when you pick them up and to quickly get them back out, use "Shift + Left Mouse Button". This command will quickly place items on the ground in front of you. If you would rather place items into your hand while in the inventory screen, press "Right Mouse Button". This will place the item from your inventory directly to the hand and close the inventory screen. Use this while mousing over an item in your hand to drop it back into the inventory. These advanced techniques are crucial when you want to quickly change items in a survival match.

Below are some other useful commands for survival:

"G" - Attempts to use any available resources on the ground in front of the player to craft a recipe.
"Q" - drops the currently held item on the ground.
"H" - Places the currently held item into your backpack if there is enough room.
"Mouse Scroll" - Scrolls through any weapons or tools you might have in your backpack.

Good hunting out there!
Twitter: @X_Nekochu_X
Tumblr: xnekochux

Comments

• ZinkZink REGISTERED Posts: 1
    How do I craft a fire??? I've been trying for a while and I can't seem to figure it out.
  • NekochuNekochu REGISTERED Posts: 244 Developer
    Without giving away the whole recipe:
    For a fire pit, you'll need to find some wood for fuel, a nice large flat stone to use as a cooking surface and then two rocks to strike together to light the fire.
  • TestamentofTestamentof REGISTERED Posts: 1,234 Seed
    I do think that the logic behind some of the recipes could be a bit more intuitive, it took me a good half hour to try and figure out the firepit, and I had to cheat to do it.

Also some of the object names belie what they are.
    The "Round Rock" Is most definately not round, it's closer to a rectangle!
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
  • Stormcaller3801Stormcaller3801 REGISTERED Posts: 3
    How does one go about throwing a spear?
  • PamcakesPamcakes REGISTERED Posts: 738
    How does one go about throwing a spear?
    Hit "T" to toggle the throwing stance :D then left click and aim. Might wanna aim a little higher for longer distance, kind of like Chivalry if you're familiar with that game.
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
  • Stormcaller3801Stormcaller3801 REGISTERED Posts: 3
    Ah, thank you muchly. I was having trouble herding the goats into sword range.
  • picklepower75picklepower75 REGISTERED Posts: 4
    How do I adjust the size of the world? I always end up spawning on one of those small islands in the sky. I'm on survival mode, if that helps anything.
    Survival mode does not have map size limitations. If you are running into this issue you might try some of the suggestions to fix this found in other threads: http://forum.nerdkingdom.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1250&hilit=survival+map+size
    Nekochu wrote:
    Survival mode does not have map size limitations. If you are running into this issue you might try some of the suggestions to fix this found in other threads: http://forum.nerdkingdom.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1250&hilit=survival+map+size

Thanks!!!! :)
    Nekochu wrote:

They didn't mention any ways to fix it.
    So the only known fixes for this are to restart a new map and/or completely restart the game. If you are having this issue consistently, I would suggest checking on your PC specs to see if there might be any hardware inconsistencies. Unfortunately this sounds like one of our bugs that we don't have a clear solution for at the moment.
    Yeah, it's probably a bug because I've tried multiple worlds.
  • RazzrealRazzreal REGISTERED Posts: 1
    How on earth do I use the backpack i just crafted? And why doesnt the game have some way to identify what parts are what? This is so frustrating.
    Backpack, like the chest, does nothing at this point in time.
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
  • ErwintjuhErwintjuh REGISTERED Posts: 25
    edit: NVM.

I did craft a backpack by accident, which gave me the wish for an uncraft button. to take things apart.
  • Red AgliatorRed Agliator REGISTERED Posts: 307 Seed
    Razzreal wrote:
    And why doesnt the game have some way to identify what parts are what?
    Check that you've turned on Options > Video > Tooltips. If they're disabled by default, it's because the original plan was to allow everybody to name objects themselves. Then each community would have to come to a consensus on what to call things among themselves.
    Razzreal wrote:
    And why doesnt the game have some way to identify what parts are what?
    Check that you've turned on Options > Video > Tooltips. If they're disabled by default, it's because the original plan was to allow everybody to name objects themselves. Then each community would have to come to a consensus on what to call things among themselves.

Pretty sure everything has a name in the Lore, but I do remember something like that, maybe. I'd have to scan through all the old Kickstarter updates.
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
    Pretty sure everything has a name in the Lore, but I do remember something like that, maybe. I'd have to scan through all the old Kickstarter updates.
    I found a kickstarter blog post about linguistics that matches what you're saying - I must've assumed some things based on random bits (non-dev) people have said, scattered across the web.

Here's the link--it's quite inspiring if you like linguistics or the idea of mysterious lore:
    http://nerdkingdomofficial.tumblr.com/p ... game-group

So I revise my previous statement. If tooltips are off by default in 0.6.4, I have no idea why. :lol:
    The backpack and chest do not currently have any functions, they serve as just decor items at the moment. We're still working towards the goal of having items named by the players but in the meantime, to help out with identifying things we have made having tool tips on as an option for everyone.
  • TcheyTchey REGISTERED Posts: 17 Seed
    Hello,

I'm new to TUG.

In everygame, i hate holding Shift for running, and in TUG i can't find an option to rebind it.
    Did i miss something ?

Thanks for helpping.
    If you installed via Steam go to SteamSteamAppsCommonTUGConfigKeybinds.txt and uhhh..

nevermind, I can't find it either! How strange!
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
  • TcheyTchey REGISTERED Posts: 17 Seed
    Yes i have TUG on Steam, but there is no binding to "run".
    Can't we autorun also ?
    No autorun feature, unfortunately.
  • ZakeZake REGISTERED Posts: 216 Seed
    I tried adding sprint to the keybinds on the off chance that there was hidden support, but looks like it can't be changed right now.
    I think more than I say and say more than I do, but I do more than I used to and plan to continue.
    TUG modder (at least in the ounce of free time that occasionally flits by)
    Survival Mode

Keyboard Command
    Cardinal Directional Movement Keys - W, A, S, D
    Jump - Spacebar
    Crouch - C
    Run - LShift (Hold)
    Pick Up Item/Use Item - Left Mouse Click
    Place Item/Interact with Item - Right Mouse Click
    Drop Item - Q
    Change Stance (While Holding Object) - T
    Stance Throw Item/Shoot Item/Special Attack - Left Mouse Click
    Stance Alt Use - Right Mouse Click
    Inventory - E
    Inventory Select Item - Left Mouse Click
    Inventory Swap Item in Hand - Right Mouse Click
    Drop Item into World and Close Inventory Screen - Shift + Left Mouse Click
    Inventory Halve a Stack - Ctrl + Left Mouse Click
    Inventory Remove One from a Stack - Ctrl + Right Mouse Click
    Switch to Belt Item - 1 - 4
    Scroll through Equipable Items in Inventory - Mouse Scroll
    Craft - G
    Enter Advanced Placement Mode - Z
    Advanced Placement Quick Place - Right Mouse Click
    Advanced Placement Zoom In/Out - Left Mouse Button Hold
    Advanced Placement on Y-Axis - Ctrl + Mouse Movement
    Advanced Placement Rotate on X-Axis - Ctrl + Left Mouse Button Hold + Mouse Movement
    Cycle Camera Angle - X
    Open Chat Window - Enter
    Return to the Main Menu - Esc