Research Team Introductions - Nikki "Gazelle" Crenshaw

GazelleGazelle REGISTERED, Vakaethei Posts: 35 Golem
edited March 2014 in Science!
Yay research team introductions!

My name is Nikki Crenshaw, and I’ve been hired as a behavioral science researcher for Nerd Kingdom. My background is in Psychology [B.A. from the University of California, Santa Cruz], my current advisor is an Anthropologist. So I have sort of a combination of statistical and ethnographic [for those of you who don’t know, an “ethnography” generally entails long-term, in-depth research ranging from interviews to doing activities with a specific cultural community…in this case, you guys!] research skills. I’m currently affiliated with the Informatics department at the University of California, Irvine, and my research focuses on how players develop their identity in and across online games.

Unfortunately, NO ONE KNOW WHAT INFORMATICS IS, but it’s a pretty cool field of study. Our current department description says we study how people “live, work, build (and play, in my opinion) through the help of technology.” We have people with background from social sciences, computer sciences, library sciences, art, design…It’s pretty eclectic. I’m a 2nd year PhD student currently slowly dying while I finish my Master’s courses, TA classes, and somehow try to pump out my own research. I should be doing my equivalent of a Master’s defense this upcoming Fall on my current research project: examining how players use handles to keep a consistent identity in online gaming.

I’m also a huge game nerd, and have been my whole life. If any of you are interested in nerding out about games, HIT ME UP. Some key games from my little nerd-baby upbringing include World of Warcraft [Vanilla – Wrath of the Lich King], Neverwinter Nights, the Dragon Warrior/Quest series, the Legend of Zelda series, and Cooking Mama. I just picked up The Yawhg [a choose-your-own-adventure style interactive narrative], have been FINALLY getting into Civilization V, and still play a game or two of Dota2 when I have time. [Note: The new Professor Layton also just came out recently, and I have been foaming at the mouth, but do not yet have it.]

I just remade my Twitter after a long stint away from it…It will probably all be terrible, non-smart phone quality photos of my cats and ranting about video games, but if you’re into that kind of thing it’s here. I also have a website that occasionally updates here.

I’m mysteriously in-and-out of here as my time allows. I’ll be coming on for some full-time work in early June, but for now I’m sort of squirreled away at school. HOWEVER, I HAVE A WEAKNESS FOR FORUMS. So if you guys have any questions, concerns, cool stories, etc. feel free to post them here and I’ll get back to you. At this point, I’m not doing any data collection for TUG, but I will probably be talking to, playing with, and otherwise interacting with you in the near future. :D
xG2TON8.jpg

Comments

• WingidonWingidon REGISTERED Posts: 1,128 Seed
    Be welcome, Gazelle!

Just don't try to use cats as a weapon against me, please.
  • GazelleGazelle REGISTERED, Vakaethei Posts: 35 Golem
    Wingidon wrote:
    Be welcome, Gazelle!

Just don't try to use cats as a weapon against me, please.

...well I guess I'll need to redesign the study on cats as tools for Internet destruction...
    xG2TON8.jpg
  • PuttyPutty REGISTERED, Vakaethei Posts: 24 Golem
    Relevant research, "15% of all internet traffic is about cats."

http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2013 ... at-Related
  • Youngy798Youngy798 REGISTERED Posts: 905 Seed
    Welcome to the team/TUG community! Any details on how TUG is going to be used for your research? :)
    Hello there! I am Youngy future owner of Plainhold (hopefully), go read the topic about Plainhold, and the Lemurian Empire, maybe also some of my other posts, like my mining suggestions! :)

Bye!
  • PamcakesPamcakes REGISTERED Posts: 738
    Awww Gazelle....I'm glad to see you made it on the team. :3
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
    Youngy798 wrote:
    Welcome to the team/TUG community! Any details on how TUG is going to be used for your research? :)

We're still in the planning phase right now, trying to get documents related to how data will be handled, addressing any ethical concerns, getting things cleared with review boards for proposed studies, etc. etc. but once that is all squared away I'd like to use my current research interests [identity in online games and how that translates offline] and apply that to gameplay in TUG. Ideally I would like to do a long-term study playing the game with you guys, taking notes on things that happen over time/trends I see/any crazy events that happen, and talking to you guys directly about how you participate [or don't!] in those practices and how they affect you.

On top of that, ideally we'll have some sweet, sweet data scraping [read: logs of various activities in game] to give me numbers that will support what I'm seeing in the game, and possibly provide another way to spark research questions that I can bring back to the research team/community. Starting this week we're going to be taking turns posting books/journal articles/bloogs that inspires our work with a TL;DR summary, so you guys can get a better idea of how we're going to be approaching the research in TUG [and maybe find some cool things to read about YAY LEARNING!].

There's also a bit more here on the general goals of research at Nerd Kingdom.
    xG2TON8.jpg
  • spacedotspacedot REGISTERED Posts: 416 Seed
    Where are you people all coming from?
    spacedot wrote:

as indicated by my location: the sun [...with research connections].
    xG2TON8.jpg
  • Re EvolutionRe Evolution REGISTERED Posts: 1,105 Seed
    I have a question for you. Where did you come up with the tag 'Gazelle'?
    5.jpg
    I have a question for you. Where did you come up with the tag 'Gazelle'?

it's actually been my offline world nickname since I was 12! I'm 5'11 [moment of silence for the 1 inch that prevents me from being an amazon]. so it's basically related to the combination of ridiculous legs and having really large, dark irises that apparently give a deer-in-the-headlights appearance.

also I have horns. fact.
    xG2TON8.jpg
  • PuttyPutty REGISTERED, Vakaethei Posts: 24 Golem
    spacedot wrote:

I actually met Peter through an interview I did with him for Warcry.com when I was saving up money to make the transition from a stable school administrator to PhD student across the country. After the interview, I kept up with what TUG was doing and chatted with him from time to time.

I already knew Moses Wolfenstein (who should re-appear here soon!) through Twitter and so, once I settled down in Pennsylvania, I started asking about doing some work with Nerd Kingdom.
  • ChohsanChohsan REGISTERED Posts: 220
    The appearance of the research team has me oddly excited. I can't wait to see what you all come up with. Also, welcome to the forums Gazelle.
    zeN5DFg.png
  • spacedotspacedot REGISTERED Posts: 416 Seed
    Putty wrote:
    spacedot wrote:

I actually met Peter through an interview I did with him for Warcry.com when I was saving up money to make the transition from a stable school administrator to PhD student across the country. After the interview, I kept up with what TUG was doing and chatted with him from time to time.

I already knew Moses Wolfenstein (who should re-appear here soon!) through Twitter and so, once I settled down in Pennsylvania, I started asking about doing some work with Nerd Kingdom.

I have been waiting for him just to reply to his badass name. Its what a superhero scientist from the past would name themselves.
  • Re EvolutionRe Evolution REGISTERED Posts: 1,105 Seed
    Gazelle wrote:
    I'm 5'11 [moment of silence for the 1 inch that prevents me from being an amazon].
    Being in that category of Amazonioness, I can understand your pain. It took me a full year to graduate from 5'11 to 6', and it was the most awkward time of my life.
    5.jpg
  • mosesoperandimosesoperandi REGISTERED Posts: 22 Developer
    Putty wrote:
    spacedot wrote:

I already knew Moses Wolfenstein (who should re-appear here soon!) ...

Speak my name and...while, something to that effect. Apologies for the delay...something about unpleasant knots in spacetime resulting from dark energies.

Where are we coming from you ask? Out of the woodwork I say! That's the thing about TUG, it pulls the interested and interesting people out of seemingly thin air, and here they are. Mark my words, in time there will be more.

Oh also, even out here in Wisconsin I was able to hear Ino's cry of, "Research team, assemble!!!"

So there's that ;)